Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Hey Guys ...

I was at ERA last Thursday and Friday (8/27/09 & 8/28/09) for my first visit ... Wow!

It was wonderful to meet all of the great people at ERA, and to see my car start to take shape (FIA 2136 - fresh out of the mold).

Below are some recent photos to add to the mix ... all of the cars look great, I spent a lot of time looking at all of them.

I have a few more photos ... send me a PM and let me know which one is yours and I can email you some pictures.

Regards,

- Tim

tkb289 - ERA Visit 8/28/09 & 8/29/09 Photo #1

tkb289 - ERA Visit 8/28/09 & 8/29/09 Photo #2

tkb289 - ERA Visit 8/28/09 & 8/29/09 Photo #3

tkb289 - ERA Visit 8/28/09 & 8/29/09 Photo #4

tkb289 - ERA Visit 8/28/09 & 8/29/09 Photo #5
Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Great pictures of the finishing shop! My car's the one on the left in photo 3.

As I understand it, they expect to finish up the silver one on the lift this week.

-Ray
Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default were there any unclaimed :)

gee...any cars unclaimed that you could slot into?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Great pictures, Tim! Your photography skills greatly exceed mine!

Jeff
Old 09-01-2009, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

now that is eye candy.

m-a
Old 09-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
Great pictures of the finishing shop! My car's the one on the left in photo 3.

As I understand it, they expect to finish up the silver one on the lift this week.

-Ray

Ray,

By the time I left on Friday afternoon, the silver FIA on the lift was just about ready to start up. I believe the owner was scheduled to pick it up this week ... anybody know who's car it is?

Are you next on the lift ???

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
Great pictures, Tim! Your photography skills greatly exceed mine!

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks ... I took a lot of photos, there is so much to see!

It's interesting to see all of these cars in various stages of competition. The guys at ERA sure are busy putting cars together.

- Tim
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Very cool. It would be like working in an OB delivery room where all the babies came out perfect. You know, I offered to pay Peter to let me come and work there. He declined.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Ray,

By the time I left on Friday afternoon, the silver FIA on the lift was just about ready to start up. I believe the owner was scheduled to pick it up this week ... anybody know who's car it is?

Are you next on the lift ???

- Tim
As I understand it, the blue and white one that is next to the lift will be #1 on the list and mine is right behind...

Actually, when you were by Jeff's car by the front door, you may have tripped over my engine.

-Ray

Last edited by RAO-3; 09-01-2009 at 10:03 AM..
Old 09-01-2009, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Very cool. It would be like working in an OB delivery room where all the babies came out perfect. You know, I offered to pay Peter to let me come and work there. He declined.

Patrick, every time I go there, I see something else tucked away in a corner; it's amazing all the things they have there.

-Ray
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
As I understand it, the blue and white one that is next to the lift will be #1 on the list and mine is right behind...

Actually, when you were by Jeff's car by the front door, you may have tripped over my engine.

-Ray
There were a couple of motors in the assembly area, each carefully covered with a plastic sheet ... just waiting to be installed ... one of those must be yours!

- Tim
Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Great pics! I hope to visit ERA one day. Looks like a lot-o Fun.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     
Default Wow! What a great day!

On a whim, I drove up to ERA today to spend some quality time with my new baby and discuss one or two things with the ERA pros.

As luck would have it, Phil, aka fastd, pulled up in a cab not long after I got there, to pick up his silver 289FIA and drive it home to North Carolina. We had a great time comparing notes, etc. Before Phil headed out, he asked me if I'd like to "go for a ride". Well, friends, the ERA is one hell of a car!! I'd never ridden in an ERA before, and was concerned about comfort, quality of ride, etc., and was genuinely surprised by how tight and smooth the car is. My Mercedes felt all sloppy all the way home! I think I'm putting a lot more miles on this beast than I anticipated!

Here is a pic of fastd's 289FIA:

I shot some better pics of my car:

Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also got several shots of RAO-3's 427, which I have posted on a new thread, as well as a few shots of the other ERAs on the shop floor:

Peter told me that the owner and his daughter built this engine:

Here is Doug, returning from a test drive:

Last edited by jeffy; 09-02-2009 at 09:36 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Jeff,

FYI, I just got in to North Carolina at 11:58 pm; 604 miles in just under 10 hours. Great drive; could have gone a couple of more hours.

Thanks again for lunch.

Regards,

Fastd
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
Jeff,

FYI, I just got in to North Carolina at 11:58 pm; 604 miles in just under 10 hours. Great drive; could have gone a couple of more hours.

Thanks again for lunch.

Regards,

Fastd
That's great! Glad you didn't get hung up in traffic. Thanks again for the ride: yours is one beautiful car!

Jeff
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff,

You got some awesome photos, nicely done ... those guys at ERA have been busy!

I have had (3) rides and (1) brief drive in ERA FIAs and my feeling was how supple and well planted the car felt, not a creak or groan, even going over very bumpy roads ... very nice indeed.

A question for you ... from the side shots of your car I can see that the vent slats behind the front wheel are painted, I assume these slats are aluminum? Is painting commonly done ... or is it personal preference?

Also ... the fiberglass spare tire well is somewhat noticeable being off white, as I am sure it was in the original cars. Have you ever seen the outside of the tire well painted black?

Thoughts or comments?

- Tim
Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Jeff,

A question for you ... from the side shots of your car I can see that the vent slats behind the front wheel are painted, I assume these slats are aluminum? Is painting commonly done ... or is it personal preference?

Also ... the fiberglass spare tire well is somewhat noticeable being off white, as I am sure it was in the original cars. Have you ever seen the outside of the tire well painted black?

Thoughts or comments?

- Tim
Tim-

We never discussed whether or not to paint the slats, so I assume painting them is the custom.

I plan to have ERA paint the trunk tub with a black rubberized coating. Good catch!

Jeff
Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Jeff,

To follow up one of our conversations from yesterday: If you really don't plan to drive your car hard, or you only plan to drive on the street, you might want to chat with Peter, Doug and/or Bob about either installing your oil cooler just for show, or see if they have any other suggestions.

I didn't pursue it, but you could check out how well oil thermostat works (if I recall I received mixed reviews about them; although I theory, they should do the trick). If you want to go super high end, you could pursue a shut off value (maybe put it out here on CC to see what people think about them?).

Phil
Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
Jeff,

To follow up one of our conversations from yesterday: If you really don't plan to drive your car hard, or you only plan to drive on the street, you might want to chat with Peter, Doug and/or Bob about either installing your oil cooler just for show, or see if they have any other suggestions.

I didn't pursue it, but you could check out how well oil thermostat works (if I recall I received mixed reviews about them; although I theory, they should do the trick). If you want to go super high end, you could pursue a shut off value (maybe put it out here on CC to see what people think about them?).

Phil
Thanks for the recommendation; I'll talk to the guys about it.

Jeff