Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   "Inspirations" for my ERA 289 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/92470-inspirations-my-era-289-a.html)

strictlypersonl 02-16-2009 10:57 AM

You might consider modifying a S/W TrackForce gauge. I think it looks similar but with a red needle. Maybe North Hollywood Speedometer can do the mods.

jeffy 02-16-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strictlypersonl (Post 921619)
You might consider modifying a S/W TrackForce gauge. I think it looks similar but with a red needle. Maybe North Hollywood Speedometer can do the mods.

All SW makes in 2 5/8" is 15psi. Could North Hollywood recalibrate one to 10psi?

Snakebit 02-16-2009 01:24 PM

What color did you decide for paint?

jeffy 02-16-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakebit (Post 921656)
What color did you decide for paint?

I asked Tony to make me samples of Triumph Signal Red, Ditzler paint code 70966, and AC Cars AC8 Rosso Chiaro, I.C.I. paint code FG39. Both paints are available through PPG's automotive paint division. They are one-stage paints, but can be reformulated to two-stage. I was thinking of going with the one-stage to be more authentic, but Tony didn't sound real enthusiastic: he said one-stage would be less durable, for starters. Any thoughts from the group?

patrickt 02-16-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffy (Post 921692)
They are one-stage paints, but can be reformulated to two-stage. I was thinking of going with the one-stage to be more authentic, but Tony didn't sound real enthusiastic...

Have Tony paint a 2'x2' with the reformulated color. Clear coats are more durable, easier to maintain, and are repaired easier... BUT, they might not please your discerning eye. They only way you'll know is to have him paint you a test swatch.

FrankJohnson69 02-16-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffy (Post 921692)
I asked Tony to make me samples of Triumph Signal Red, Ditzler paint code 70966, and AC Cars AC8 Rosso Chiaro, I.C.I. paint code FG39. Both paints are available through PPG's automotive paint division. They are one-stage paints, but can be reformulated to two-stage. I was thinking of going with the one-stage to be more authentic, but Tony didn't sound real enthusiastic: he said one-stage would be less durable, for starters. Any thoughts from the group?

Yeah, I agree that two stage is mo betta but have it painted by someone else.

patrickt 02-16-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankJohnson69 (Post 921729)
Yeah, I agree that two stage is mo betta but have it painted by someone else.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: We haven't had a Tony's v. Connecticut Custom in at least a couple of months....:rolleyes:

FrankJohnson69 02-16-2009 06:26 PM

That's OK.... Tony painted mine. I don't know anything about Connecticut Custom.:LOL:

patrickt 02-16-2009 06:35 PM

The tricky thing for Jeffy is that I think he wants the finish to look exactly like it did 45 years ago, not like a 2009 high-end show car paint job. I don't know -- to get that done exactly right might end up costing him more than a modern show-car finish.

xracerbob 02-16-2009 07:30 PM

I put Ron Randall through hell going through the same thing with my maroon color. Came out great.
http://www.metal-morphous.com/pages/...izingpaint.php

jeffy 02-16-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 921741)
The tricky thing for Jeffy is that I think he wants the finish to look exactly like it did 45 years ago, not like a 2009 high-end show car paint job. I don't know -- to get that done exactly right might end up costing him more than a modern show-car finish.

You could very well be right. Nothing is set in stone, yet.

I'm surprised that a two-stage would be easier to repair. Why is that?

Thanks!

strictlypersonl 02-17-2009 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffy (Post 921641)
All SW makes in 2 5/8" is 15psi. Could North Hollywood recalibrate one to 10psi?

Ask them.
North Hollywood Speedometer

patrickt 02-17-2009 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffy (Post 921762)
I'm surprised that a two-stage would be easier to repair. Why is that?

If you get a scratch or scrape in your clear coat it is easier to sand out. If the scratch is deep, a two-stage is still easier to repair because you can blend the basecoat over the area to be repaired and then clear coat the whole panel and then finish it. Blending a single stage to match perfectly is more tricky - but pros can still do it. I was thinking more about your particular situation, your car is going to spend 99% of its life inside a nice warm, safe garage. If there is any sort of nick or blemish on it you're going to have a pro with the "artist's touch" fix it. So my observations on "durability and repair" aren't nearly as important as they might be for another car. If I were you, I would base my choice solely on appearance. You might just not like the look of a BC/CC for an early-60's car. And the only way you're going to know for sure is to have the painter paint you a nice big swatch and hand it to you and you look at it and say "Yep, this will do just fine." DO NOT just cross your fingers and give him the greenlight to use something that you haven't seen. You've come too far to stumble now.

jeffy 03-01-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffy (Post 921584)
One gauge that is particularly hard to find is this 2 5/8" Stewart Warner fuel pressure gauge; if anyone has one for sale, or knows of a source, I'd be very interested. Thanks!

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...ifuelgauge.jpg

Just an update: found this gauge and the original SW speedo on eBay, both "new old stock".

PANAVIA 03-06-2009 01:17 AM

I agree with the assessment on easy off on the red-n-blue fittings, they should be natural finish, and i would use a motorcraft , or WIX filter. --no fram..

jeffy 06-09-2009 02:06 AM

Motor complete!

Attached is a video clip of engine builder Dan Dalena starting up my small block with Webers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhiGSyn5-bw

Absolutely fabulous workmanship by Dan! Now, if Tony could just finish up that paint job...

RAO-3 06-09-2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffy (Post 956433)
Now, if Tony could just finish up that paint job...

I had to laugh when I read this comment; was thinking the very same thing this morning. Tonys supposed to be bringing my car back to Peter this week. When is your car due to be finished?

-Ray

jeffy 06-10-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAO-3 (Post 956446)
I had to laugh when I read this comment; was thinking the very same thing this morning. Tonys supposed to be bringing my car back to Peter this week. When is your car due to be finished?

-Ray

I'm next after you.

RAO-3 06-11-2009 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffy (Post 956933)
I'm next after you.

Spoke to Tony yesterday, and now its next week back to Peter.

-Ray

WarrenG 06-11-2009 06:38 AM

I'm scheduled to go up to Hartford mid-July and plan to stop at ERA while I'm there. If your cars are still there :rolleyes:I get some pictures.