Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 351 Cleveland
Not Ranked     

Great work.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     
Smile

Great job, Tim and gang. Full credit to Herman for giving instructions from underneath. It's a real psychological hurdle to install a motor and trans. It's not a particularly difficult job, but there's a lot riding on no slip-ups!! Great job.
Cheers!
Glen
Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Tim:

Lots of fun!

Don't forget to move the shifter forward!

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Tim, you and your crew look like they did a very thorough job.
Heads up, I had to remove the steering sector shaft to fit the drivers side header.

Last edited by wolf k; 06-13-2011 at 05:35 AM..
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Good fun! Lookin' good!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Great job, Tim and gang. Full credit to Herman for giving instructions from underneath. It's a real psychological hurdle to install a motor and trans. It's not a particularly difficult job, but there's a lot riding on no slip-ups!! Great job.
Cheers!
Glen

Glen,

Right you are ... with lots of help it is straight forward and it's also due to how well the car is designed & built, the manual and all the right bits & pieces that ERA supplies.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
Tim:

Lots of fun!

Don't forget to move the shifter forward!

Jim
Jim,

Thanks ... need to move the shifter and also use the ERA supplied bolts to attach it. One neat detail, the shifter looks like the one out of a 60's Ford ... but with the 5 speed pattern ... nice!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf k View Post
Congratulations Tim, you and your crew look like they did a very thorough job.
Heads up, I had to remove the steering sector shaft to fit the drivers side header.

Wolf,

Thanks ... the tips from your build were helpful. I have so say, I am impressed how you did the motor & trans install by yourself ... it would have taken me a long, long time on my own ... that's for sure. I did a test fit of the header on the passenger side, in and out fairly easily ... driver's side looks to be a bit more of a challenge. I'll take another look, but I am sure you are correct, the steering shaft has to be moved out of the way.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
Good fun! Lookin' good!

Hyde ... thanks!

Any recommendations for the next phase of the project ... any suggested order of assembly ?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Woke up this morning and man are my mucles sore; back in particular has a sting to it when I bend forward.

I'm getting too old for this stuff!!!! Tim, got any Carter Pills laying around????
Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim:

Looking at what you have left to do, it's a little of everything. If this were in my garage:

* hook up fuel line to fuel pump.
* re-install shifter to mid-shift point; pour in transmission fluid (have a bucket under it for the level hole)
* Get more info on the rod-length of the hydraulic clutch assembly from Forte's. There is some info on the FFCars.com forum where Mike hangs out regularly and some builds using the Quicktime bell housing with it I believe. Otherwise, I think it will be pretty straight forward - cut down some rod and test.
* Install carburator but do not install the linkage assembly until you resolve the driver side header issue.
* Interior work: carpeting, Kirky seat build up.
* Check rear-end for fluid; add if needed (but I'm guessing they did this at ERA but never hurts to check it again.)
* Contact your engine builder and determine if they re-torqued your heads and intake after initial run-in / dyno; ask if you should do it again after say a few hundred miles.

* You could actually hook up the radiator hoses top and bottom as I don't see any issues with that. May even want to start adding antifreeze to it, however, since you don't have your alternator bracket yet, I'm not sure if you can mount your overflow tank or not since I'm not sure where it mounts to on the engine.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

I, too, have the old FORD 4 speed knob on my Tremec 5 speed gear boxes. Wife Suzanne drove the ERA289 slabside to a car show and then couldn't find reverse, saying; "What, it's not where it says on the knob?" To which I responded; "But Dear, I showed you where it was the last time you drove the car." Her response: "Well, how am I supposed to remember that?"

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289fia_cobra View Post
Tim:

Looking at what you have left to do, it's a little of everything. If this were in my garage:

* hook up fuel line to fuel pump.
* re-install shifter to mid-shift point; pour in transmission fluid (have a bucket under it for the level hole)
* Get more info on the rod-length of the hydraulic clutch assembly from Forte's. There is some info on the FFCars.com forum where Mike hangs out regularly and some builds using the Quicktime bell housing with it I believe. Otherwise, I think it will be pretty straight forward - cut down some rod and test.
* Install carburator but do not install the linkage assembly until you resolve the driver side header issue.
* Interior work: carpeting, Kirky seat build up.
* Check rear-end for fluid; add if needed (but I'm guessing they did this at ERA but never hurts to check it again.)
* Contact your engine builder and determine if they re-torqued your heads and intake after initial run-in / dyno; ask if you should do it again after say a few hundred miles.

* You could actually hook up the radiator hoses top and bottom as I don't see any issues with that. May even want to start adding antifreeze to it, however, since you don't have your alternator bracket yet, I'm not sure if you can mount your overflow tank or not since I'm not sure where it mounts to on the engine.

Herman,

That's a thorough list ... once I get through all of that we should be good to go! The overflow tank actually sits on the frame, not the motor, so it can go back on. I took it off to allow more room for the motor to drop in.

Those aches and pains go away yet ?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
I, too, have the old FORD 4 speed knob on my Tremec 5 speed gear boxes. Wife Suzanne drove the ERA289 slabside to a car show and then couldn't find reverse, saying; "What, it's not where it says on the knob?" To which I responded; "But Dear, I showed you where it was the last time you drove the car." Her response: "Well, how am I supposed to remember that?"

Jim

Jim ... Great story, I bet Suzanne likes to drive the slabside
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim, at this point, you probably have some kind of checklist; it's important to have it so you don't keep repeating yourself "did I remember to tigthen".

IN that little note book I brought over, every time I torqued something down, I drew a picture if it was a lot of bolts, and simply put down the final torque setting and pattern used if required, on that part/assembly, and date it. Then if I don't recall, I just go to my note book to see if I did.

You could make a similar checklist well in advance and just date it with the torque settings and know it's out of the way. I realize that the DAY you fire it up for the first time, you'll still be pouring over things in a dozen different directions so keep a log in perhaps sections (electrical, plumbing, fluids, engine bay, interior, etc.)

On first fire up, and possibly a drive around the block, you want to first check:

1. Oil Level
2. Coolant Level (initial)
3. Battery Charged (prior night, trickle charge it)
4. Double check brake fluids; maybe do a roller test this week.
5. Tire check (these cars don't usually need a lot of air due to their weight; 25psi is a good starting point if you go by the 1psi per 100lbs.)
6. firing order. It's just good to know you have it wired correctly.

On the day of startup , have a fire extinguisher or two, handy. Do a cursory check of all your controls. If a fire starts, know where you kill switch is - that is go through the motions of a mock fire so you know how long it will take to kill the battery.

Push the car out of the garage. Last thing you want is a possible house fire!

Warm up engine for a few minutes. Get out and check for leaks when you're at 150 deg.F. Need to check fuel lines, brake lines, coolant lines.

While waiting or checking fluid leaks, have a person outside just confirm all lights and signals are working (you can do this well before the day of driving it.)

If everything is looking good, and you remembered to bolt down the seats and the steering wheel and the shifter, it's time to take it down the street to see how it behaves. I know the alignment still need to be done so don't put a lot of miles on it. Just get it close enough so you can drive it to wherever you're doing the alignment.

When the alignment is done, "listen" to your car and determine if something might be loose or squeaking or making a noise you were not expecting. In fact, get it to speed and then coast so the engine noise doesn't cover up lesser noise.

when you park it, and let it cool, top off all your fluids again (or oil change if that's needed.) Check all around the engine for any signs of leakage between the heads and block, the water pump and timing chain cover. Re-tigten your header bolts; you'll probably need to do this for probably a good 5 or 6 heat cycles.

That's pretty much all I can add to this mess... I mean project.

Last edited by 289fia_cobra; 06-14-2011 at 12:57 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Looks great, Tim!

Any SB-100's left for you this year? Like to see you on the road!

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think he already got the SB100 stuff but obviously, has NOT got anything going yet (VIN, BAR and Brake & Lamp ).
Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually I am headed to the DMV tomorrow for round one of the process.

A few months ago I picked up the forms and a checklist. I have the MSO, Receipts & Forms all prepared, plus back up copies of everything, just in case. I am ready to write the check and hopefully tomorrow I'll have my SB-100 number, will keep you guys posted.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Earlier this week, I went to the Santa Clara DMV to start the SPCNS process and get a SB-100 number.

I was lucky enough to be able to talk with Jody, and has been mentioned here before on CC, she really understands the SPCNS / SB-100 process and is very helpful. Jody reviewed the paperwork, made a few adjustments and all the while explained the process to the clerk at the counter. Unfortunately, Jody was not able to get through to Sacramento, so I did not get a SB-100 number right on the spot. I wrote the check, left with all my paperwork plus a few more forms, and a list of tasks to compete: SMOG / CHP Inspection / Brake & Light Inspection. I am glad to say that I was issued a TOP (temporary operating permit)

I checked back with Jody today and she said that yes, there are still SB-100 numbers available, but she has been unable to talk directly with the person in Sacramento that issues them. Jody is working on it, I'll check back with her next week. So far ... so good.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

Last edited by LightNFast; 08-30-2012 at 10:48 AM..