Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Tim,

Great to see you're build is well on it's way! Since it's not technically a roller yet, I'll back you up when you say the car has "never seen the rain."

Thanks Doug!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Tim:
Just off the top of my mind:

* Visors
* Windwings
* Center frame tie-rod (not sure what they're called but it ties the top and bottom of the windshield frame to keep it from flexing and the windshield from popping out at those 170mph jaunts!)
* Rear View mirrors - this is tricky as the originals are not that great but something to look into.
* Fire Extinguisher - roll bar, center tunnel or ? Mandatory IMO.
* Kill switch - personally, I'd recommend one.
* Badges - no sure if you're going with Cobra emblems or if you're the type that thinks "we don't need no stinkin' badges!"
* Headlamps - some like tri-Y's, some like the E-code Hella H4's. Again, something to think about.
* Fire supression system - this is more of the full Halon unit with a big bottle in the back and sprayers around the carb and engine bay. First line of defense if the unthinkable happens.

* Adjustable seats - admittedly, I don't think your side will need one but perhaps the passenger side. Another "something to think about".
* fuzzy dice - um...............................................

Last edited by 289fia_cobra; 09-01-2009 at 09:07 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
Quick question though: when would be the best time to visit ERA? I was planning on just after my 427 returns from paint and before final assembly starts. Opinions?
FWIW, I too visited when my 427 returned from paint. It all starts to feel 'real' then. It also gives you an opportunity to be sure that you are happy with the paint and color before anything else starts. (For some reason the real color of my 427 doesn't show on the pc screen - it looks a bit different in person) And there's nothing like seeing YOUR car in person before they start to finish it.

I'm not as far away as you, so I did just visit again. My thinking has been to visit again in the midst of the final assembly either when it's on the lift or about to go on the lift. Then once more when the work wraps up just before it's ready to leave.

BTW I'll be glad to take pics of any one's car when I do visit, just let me know.

-Ray
Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289fia_cobra View Post
Tim:
Just off the top of my mind:

* Visors
* Windwings
* Center frame tie-rod (not sure what they're called but it ties the top and bottom of the windshield frame to keep it from flexing and the windshield from popping out at those 170mph jaunts!)
* Rear View mirrors - this is tricky as the originals are not that great but something to look into.
* Fire Extinguisher - roll bar, center tunnel or ? Mandatory IMO.
* Kill switch - personally, I'd recommend one.
* Badges - no sure if you're going with Cobra emblems or if you're the type that thinks "we don't need no stinkin' badges!"
* Headlamps - some like tri-Y's, some like the E-code Hella H4's. Again, something to think about.
* Fire supression system - this is more of the full Halon unit with a big bottle in the back and sprayers around the carb and engine bay. First line of defense if the unthinkable happens.

* Adjustable seats - admittedly, I don't think your side will need one but perhaps the passenger side. Another "something to think about".
* fuzzy dice - um...............................................

Herman,

Great list. Along with those items ...

- Locking hood latches
- White plastic turn signals, I can run amber bulbs if required
- Will go with the fender badges and most likely the Cobra badges too ... what the heck
- AC logo steering wheel cap
- ERA logo brake and clutch pedals
- Driver's seat bolted to the floor for maximum room ... passenger side may be adjustable
- Fuzzy dice --- let's try them on your car first ...

- Tim
Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
FWIW, I too visited when my 427 returned from paint. It all starts to feel 'real' then. It also gives you an opportunity to be sure that you are happy with the paint and color before anything else starts. (For some reason the real color of my 427 doesn't show on the pc screen - it looks a bit different in person) And there's nothing like seeing YOUR car in person before they start to finish it.

I'm not as far away as you, so I did just visit again. My thinking has been to visit again in the midst of the final assembly either when it's on the lift or about to go on the lift. Then once more when the work wraps up just before it's ready to leave.

BTW I'll be glad to take pics of any one's car when I do visit, just let me know.

-Ray

Ray,

When you visit pictures would be great ... thanks!

- Tim
Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Definitely get Doug to "widen the stance" on the pedals. I wear a driving shoe to deal with the "proximity" issue, and I only have size 8.5. With a regular, ie, boat shoe, there is interference. Gotta like a BRG for a pure street look. Wire Wheels (Dayton I believe) would take it one step further. I would recommend the electrical system cut off switch just for a little added security. Mine is located behind the passenger seat and I use it anytime I park and will be away from the car even briefly. On the wheels, the Torque Thrust D's are a nice look, and a lot more economical than knock offs. The knock offs are really nice looking as well, another 'decision'. Enjoy the build!!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

[quote=tkb289;979833]Build List ... Subject to change (as time allows!)

The Big Picture ...
- FIA Body, no hood scoop, no trunk bumps or oil cooler scoop --- Done !
- Grill & Bumpers, probably skip the nudge bar on the front
- FIA dash, moved slightly upwards to allow for more knee room, I really like the drop dash, but there is no way I can fit in the car with it
- Motor --- a 289 or 302, about 300 to 350 HP ... needs to be able to survive idling in hot traffic. Want something that is professionally built and run in on a dyno
- Strongly favoring medium to dark Blue ... but would consider BRG ... or Black ???
- No stripes
- Black roll bar
- Modified under car exhaust (black) ... using the under car mufflers, but they exit before the rear wheel (like the GT-350)
- Most likely the TKO600 with 0.82 OD with 3.31 or 3.54 differential (maybe a W/R top-loader?)
- Wheels --- Not sure --- Torque Thrust 'D' or Pin Drive ??? ... either way, want black inner wheel with a polished lip
- Rear suspension ... most likely go with the standard Jag rear end ... for street use, this should be more than adequate - Sway bars front and back
- Heater and Wipers, no top ... but with a tonneau cover
- The newer ERA seats with the rubber suspension membrane under the seat cushion ... possibly leather instead of the vinyl

Those are the major items ... there are a lot of other little bits and pieces to consider ... all in due time.

Comments or suggestions are welcome!

- Tim
You cannot go wrong with a black Cobra, but BRG is absolutely awesome (and somewhat rare). The black roll bar is also a great idea. You might want to consider front (and rear) nudge bars, as they also protect the leading edge of your body work from road chips. Heater/defroster a must for night driving. The Jag rear is more than adequate (even with a big block), but you might want a TKO 600 in place of a toploader. The TL is bulletproof, but top gear screams on the highway, especially if you run with a 3:54 rear gear. I also like the idea of torque-thrust wheels on a small block car. And you gotta wear driving shoes or you'll be stepping on two pedals at once.
It sounds like you've got a great plan...good luck.

Last edited by ZOERA-SC7XX; 09-02-2009 at 04:55 PM..
Old 09-24-2009, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Great to see another FIA on the Way! That new Slabside is tempting as well. If the wife would allow I'd have one of those with Flared out Fenders for sure! Of course it would be in her choice of colors
For reference I wear a size 12 shoe & haven't had any problems with space. I do not have carpeting though. Cant wait to watch the build!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Tim,

Great to see you're build is well on it's way! Since it's not technically a roller yet, I'll back you up when you say the car has "never seen the rain."
Rain is not a problem --, England is full of digressive drizzle.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Tim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
Rain is not a problem --, England is full of digressive drizzle.

Steve

Steve,

You certainly have a way with words!

Once the car is done ... I'll be sure to keep the bonnet & boot shut to keep the drizzle at bay ... the real challenge will be keeping the Wilton & Connolly dry ...

- Tim
Old 10-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Time for an update on ERA 289 FIA 2136:

The chassis was in the jig about a week ago and it was just about complete, below are (2) photos that John (from ERA) took ... thanks John!

And yes ... there is not one, but two different roll bar configurations ... a first of it's kind for this type of car from ERA.

Like a lot of guys, I debated the one hoop or two hoops conundrum, and with the forward brace on the FIA car, two hoops is hard to do, since the gas tank sits right up behind the seats with no room for a reward facing brace.

So ... I thought what about having the standard FIA single hoop & forward brace, but also add into the frame one more mounting point for a full width roll bar. I provided Peter with a basic sketch and the master fabricators at ERA came up with an elegant solution to my special request.

In effect, my car will have (2) roll bar configurations, the single hoop setup ... OR ... a full width roll bar setup. There will be a 'hole' in the body, which will be filled with a removable plug. If for some reason, myself or future owner only wants the single hoop configuration, the 'hole' can be covered over and painted.

The look of the single hoop is much cleaner, as the full width roll bar is somewhat awkward looking at first glance. It is reminiscent of what was done in some of the early racing cars ... as an example, see page 73 in Trevor's ' Cobra - The First 40 Years ' book, CSX2153 has a full width roll bar with a forward brace.

Most of the time, the car will probably be setup with the single hoop, but should the occasion arise where I want the full width setup, I have got that option.

Back to the build ... the chassis should be off to powder coat, and once it's done, it will be back at ERA to have the body bonded onto the chassis. From there it's out to CCC for paint, then back to ERA for assembly into a roller.

Still making choices on some of the big items, like the motor builder, transmission, wheels and exactly which shade of blue to choose ... I have some time and it's fun weighing all of the options.

Leaning towards (but subject to change of course ):

- 302 from a reputable builder
- TKO 600 with 0.82 OD
- Pin Drive FIA wheels
- A shade of blue ranging from Guardsman to Indigo

As always ... comments and suggestions are welcome.

- Tim

Standard FIA Single Roll Hoop

Full Width Roll Hoop
Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Very cool on the roll-bars: the ERA team is amazing at how far they will go to accommodate us!

One question, though: what happened to the TorqueThrusts??? Everyone has pin drives...
Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's a great way to go with the roll bar !
Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
Very cool on the roll-bars: the ERA team is amazing at how far they will go to accommodate us!

One question, though: what happened to the TorqueThrusts??? Everyone has pin drives...
Jeff,

You have a good memory ... and a good question!

My initial take on wheels from way back was Torque Thrust D and that was that, I really like the look and still do. The 427 wheels are very cool too, but I like wheels that are a bit more 'open' in the center, if that makes any sense.

However, while I was at ERA in August ... I saw these FIA wheels ( see below ) with the center web painted black and the wheel lip was polished ... now looks pretty good to me too!

There are pros and cons for both bolt on and pin drive wheels, and a differential in dollars as well ... yet another choice to make.

While I have gone back and forth on some of the details, the basic decision of a 289 Street FIA from ERA with a small block has not wavered one bit ... the rest of the stuff is bolt on, so down the road I can change it if I don't like it. The last real decision is paint.

I suspect no matter which way I go on a few of these decisions, once I have the car and am rumbling down the road, or trying to keep up with 'the boys', all that will really matter is enjoying the drive.

- Tim

Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
That's a great way to go with the roll bar !

Hyde,

There has been a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of roll bars that I have read and discussed with others. For me it just seemed like something worth trying, we'll see how it works and looks when it's all said and done. That's one of the advantages of having the car custom built ... the down side is having to wait ... these things do take time!

- Tim
Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I Have a 17" Set of Kidneys that I initially bought for the car but decided the FIA wheels in 15" Would look best. We all want our own personal touches but the FIA wheels are tough to beat on the FIA car.
Paint is another issue all together. You just have to work that one out for yourself
Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Whoa, Nelly! Pin-drive FIA wheels? Blue? Are you sure you're Tim?

Tim, we need to connect for lunch more frequently...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 10-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug,

I know ... I know ...

While you have been busy driving your car ... I have been busy considering the possibilities!

Lunch ... you bet, send me a PM when you are free and let's talk!

- Tim
Old 10-24-2009, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Full Width Roll Bar Option

I wonder if the full width roll bar can be adapted to the older FIA's. Are all of the braces already there? What would it take?
It is something I have been looking at for a long time, track days without an instructor are a pain!
How about it Bob Putnam????
Old 10-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

TK - great looking photos of the FIA chassis. Man it is built like a bank vault. My first cobra was 'another brand' and the chassis was 2*4 rect tube - a plain ladder chassis - nothing wrapped around the side and rear of the cockpit - and the door latch (on the body) was screwed into a fibreglass pad bonded to the body. Screws into glass!! The ERA has the door latch mounted on a steel plate - bolted to the steel chassis member. You could pick the car up by the door latch mounting plates!! Undoubtedly the best cobra chassis being built today by anyone. What a jewel!!!