Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Barry gives the best reason-the OE's are never accurate with the timing marks.
I always check the balancer against a degree wheel and piston stop. If they're off, you can get the MSD timing tape (it's available for a myriad of balancer diameters) and you can make it right.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Keith & Barry -- Thank you both; excellent advice, as usual.

Brent -- I'll degree it just to make sure. I'm betting it will be off -- everything I buy for that car is, but that's half the fun...

Rick -- I'm not about to rebuild that POS dampner. But thank you for the thought.

BTW, for what its worth, in Steve Christ's book (page 137) he says to put the dampner on by whacking it with a hammer and that it can be pulled on by installing the center bolt. For decades I've done it that same way, but, WTF, I'll go ahead and take the advice of all of you and pull it and install it with the special tool. I need another tool anyway.... (My Haynes Techbook Ford Engine Overhaul Manual does say to use the special tool, though.)
Old 06-13-2010, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Which one you gonna buy Patrick? The ATI?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Which one you gonna buy Patrick? The ATI?
The ATI 918290 looks very nice. Can you get me a sweetheart deal?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have you ever been a sweetheart to me?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Have you ever been a sweetheart to me?
Uhhh, well, kind of... in my own special way, that is. But I do pay promptly.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tell you what, if you put together a little package of that dampner, the special pull/install tool, and an ARP bolt, I'll buy it from you.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you have your heart set on an ATI, I can't help, but Keith or Barry can get those for you. I can do Romac or P/P.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well you can't say I didn't try.... But what does irritate me on the car forums that I frequent is when somebody posts a nice thread on something breaking, solicits recommendations on the best replacement part, but then doesn't follow it up with pics of the R&R to help the next guy that has exactly the same problem. So I'll take some shots during the R&R and post them.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pulling the crank bolt -- this is a "French Curl Bar" that I use on the end of a breaker bar that has a 15/16" deep dish socket. Supposedly the bolt is torqued to something like 90 ft/lbs -- it comes off pretty easily though with the weight lifting bar on it. Here are two shots:

Crankshaft Bolt is out -- no thread lock on it, btw.

Three pulley bolts are now easily removed -- no thread lock on them either. I didn't bother loosening the alternator either since the pulley easily comes straight off.

My "two piece" dampner does not pull off, and I'm not going to pry it, whack it, etc. I'll pick up the puller/installer tool this week.

Here's a shot of the pulley -- I can't tell whether the holes have been worked on or not. I'll see when the new dampner comes.

That's as far as I can go today. BTW, thoughts on using thread locker on the crank bolt and/or pulley bolts?

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do. Blue.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I was wondering what happened to you yesterday. Sorry to hear about the damper. I thought you might be re-wrapping and taping your rollbars all the way down to the paint.

The pig was great, the day was hot, the company was great and it was nice to get my car up on the scales. My cross weights are pretty good by the way. I do weigh in at a portly 2600 lbs though with an estimated 15 gal of gas in the tank. Trying to be period correct does have it's price.

Hope the new assembly goes together easily.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I was wondering what happened to you yesterday. Sorry to hear about the damper. I thought you might be re-wrapping and taping your rollbars all the way down to the paint.

The pig was great, the day was hot, the company was great and it was nice to get my car up on the scales. My cross weights are pretty good by the way. I do weigh in at a portly 2600 lbs though with an estimated 15 gal of gas in the tank. Trying to be period correct does have it's price.

Hope the new assembly goes together easily.
I was disappointed, but glad I didn't break down "in route." Although If I made it to Scott's house that's about the best place in the world to break down in a Cobra.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did the motor rotate backwards when you used your rube bar?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Did the motor rotate backwards when you used your rube bar?
No, the car was in gear. It actually came out surprisingly easily.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Use the ARP spec that comes with the bolt. Don't remember but I think mine was 105-115 lbft. Yours should not break so easily-you were lucky.

I also hate turning the crank bolt when adjusting valves. Years ago Powerhouse (now owned by Comp) made a neat tool when Roy owned the company. It was for Chevs but I tried to adapt it. Had three holes which were attached by the pulley bolts and a 1/2 square hole in center for a ratchet or extension. Was not deep enough for the FE application. They don't show them on their site now.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I was disappointed, but glad I didn't break down "in route." Although If I made it to Scott's house that's about the best place in the world to break down in a Cobra.
Happened to one other person. They broke a radiator bracket on the way there and fixed it at his house. Hard to beat his set up.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Use the ARP spec that comes with the bolt. Don't remember but I think mine was 105-115 lbft. Yours should not break so easily-you were lucky.
That curl bar is 34" long -- I can put a heck of a lot of torque down on the end of a three foot long pole. But if I had to swear to you, I don't think I put down more than enough to break loose maybe a 50 ft/lb bolt, if that. But it's really hard to tell when you have that much leverage, so it could well have been in the 70-90 range.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I could see how you could make the crank bolt fail in a Chevy.....but not a Ford engine. All Ford crank bolts are 5/8" diameter. That's one thing I could never understand about the Chevy junk.....fasteners were all the size of pencils.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I could see how you could make the crank bolt fail in a Chevy.....but not a Ford engine. All Ford crank bolts are 5/8" diameter. That's one thing I could never understand about the Chevy junk.....fasteners were all the size of pencils.
She's a pretty serious bolt. Looks and feels brand new. I'm tempted to skip buying a new one.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 11:48 AM..