Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
I have already paid one of those guys for five blocks in advance and received nothing in return.
Maybe Patrick has lost the ability to read and comprehend , but here's the difference. The buyers and their "seed money" are engine builders like Brent, Barry, Craft, Tom Lucas, etc. or Robert Pond. As Barry said earlier, he has paid for 5 blocks and doesn't have them yet. So, we're not talking about a bunch of finicky consumers of magnesium wheels. Most of us here building Cobras buy engines from engine builders. I didn't buy an aluminum block and then ship it off to an engine builder. I bought my engine block from the engine builder.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Shelby has blocks in stock. Just spoke with them
Old 11-21-2016, 10:32 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Maybe Patrick has lost the ability to read and comprehend , but here's the difference...
I'd rather stick with Ed's verbiage "Like patrick so accurately pointed out...."
Old 11-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Shelby has blocks in stock. Just spoke with them
They do make alloy small blocks. Did you ask about FE's?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
They do make alloy small blocks. Did you ask about FE's?
They meant these:

Old 11-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'd rather stick with Ed's verbiage "Like patrick so accurately pointed out...."
I'm sure you would, but he's just parroting your inaccurate statement. Barry said he gave them real money for 5 blocks and, assuming they're BBM blocks and fully paid, then that's 5 x $3,500 or, for those folks that aren't mathematicians, that's $17,500. That's real money sitting in someone else's bank account, not named Barry.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm sure you would, but he's just parroting your inaccurate statement. Barry said he gave them real money for 5 blocks and, assuming they're BBM blocks and fully paid, then that's 5 x $3,500 or, for those folks that aren't mathematicians, that's $17,500. That's real money sitting in someone else's bank account, not named Barry.
au contraire mon amie -- The exact quote was "I have already paid one of those guys for five blocks in advance and received nothing in return." That does not mean he paid in full for all five. Rather, I read that to infer a small down payment with the balance due upon delivery.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
They meant these:
Exactly. "They have blocks in stock." I'm more partial to these, they're a bit closer in weight.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Exactly. "They have blocks in stock." I'm more partial to these, they're a bit closer in weight.
Well that is a nice looking garden. Yessirreee, could of come right off of HuffPo.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
au contraire mon amie -- The exact quote was "I have already paid one of those guys for five blocks in advance and received nothing in return." That does not mean he paid in full for all five. Rather, I read that to infer a small down payment with the balance due upon delivery.
Then we have different interpretations. I understand it to mean he has paid for 5 blocks in full in advance. But either way, he has put cash up front, not words.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
But either way, he has put cash up front, not words.
Well, yes, point taken. If it's green, and has presidents on it, then that certainly speaks louder than CC posts.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I have a lot of respect for your opinions RodKnock, but on this one you are just missing the mark. The seed monies for the business were spent way in advance of the block order placed by the engine builder. There is a conservative $250K in engineering and tooling to make a block from dead scratch.

Once you get done with the sunk investment up front then you have to buy the minimum economic order quantity for the foundry not necessarily you! That number is between 50 and 100 blocks. Finish up the machine work, the freight, import duties (remember you can't get the quality casting in the US anymore) and you are somewhere north of minimally another $350/400K.

So, now you are in the tank for a half million+ for the first 50 to 100 blocks before you get any monies coming in for product.

Patrick is spot on and anyone with a spare half million+ laying around does not seem to be popping up to take advantage of the excellent business opportunity you seem to see, RodKnock.

This block business is fools gold — especially for FE's. We are basically the only guys that want them and we don't like to pay the price for them — not to mention the flake out factor is high.

This kind of a 'hobby' business only looks promising to uninformed people who are on the outside looking in that do not or can not think this business 'opportunity' and the attendant risks through start to finish.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
I have a lot of respect for your opinions RodKnock, but on this one you are just missing the mark. The seed monies for the business were spent way in advance of the block order placed by the engine builder. There is a conservative $250K in engineering and tooling to make a block from dead scratch.

Once you get done with the sunk investment up front then you have to buy the minimum economic order quantity for the foundry not necessarily you! That number is between 50 and 100 blocks. Finish up the machine work, the freight, import duties (remember you can't get the quality casting in the US anymore) and you are somewhere north of minimally another $350/400K.

So, now you are in the tank for a half million+ for the first 50 to 100 blocks before you get any monies coming in for product.

Patrick is spot on and anyone with a spare half million+ laying around does not seem to be popping up to take advantage of the excellent business opportunity you seem to see, RodKnock.

This block business is fools gold — especially for FE's. We are basically the only guys that want them and we don't like to pay the price for them — not to mention the flake out factor is high.

This kind of a 'hobby' business only looks promising to uninformed people who are on the outside looking in that do not or can not think this business 'opportunity' and the attendant risks through start to finish.

Ed
Ed, first I never said anything about making engine blocks being a good business. NEVER said it. Period.

Second, Shelby and Pond have been selling their blocks for over a decade. Not sure when BBM or Side Oiler Garage started their businesses, but the Shelby and Pond designs, forms, etc. and whatever else you need has long since been completed.

Third, according to Brent and Barry, there aren't any blocks available today. None. For over a year. But Barry, and I'm sure other engine builders like Craft, Brent, Tom Lucas have put down deposits at least for new blocks. That is all I'm pointing out. Money has been sent somewhere from an engine builder to an engine block manufacturer. Patrick said buyers are flakes. I said Barry isn't your typical flakey buyer. That is my only point. You're on a complete tangent.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... Patrick said buyers are flakes. I said Barry isn't your typical flakey buyer. That is my only point. You're on a complete tangent.
No, I'd rather concentrate on the "Patrick is spot on..." part of the thread.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, I'd rather concentrate on the "Patrick is spot on..." part of the thread.
And you're not.

I still think Barry has fully paid for 5 blocks, because he's Barry, one of the top engine builders here in these United States of America. He's been buying blocks for what, 10, 20, 30 years. How about Pond? Or Craft? I'm sure these guys have given cash to the block foundries/manufacturers, not just some flake like me.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default Didn't Dave Kirkham CNC 427 FE from a billet?

What ever happened with Dave developing a CNC program to machine a 427 FE out of a billet?

Generally speaking, other than saving a ton of money on material and labor, casting sucks compared to a piece machined from a billet. The CNC machine has reversed this in some application. Some parts are now cheaper to machine on a CNC rather than cast them.

Granted, I wouldn't have thought a 427 FE would be cheaper to make on a CNC, but Dave is a pretty sharp guy. Anyway, it sure would be higher quality.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
What ever happened with Dave developing a CNC program to machine a 427 FE out of a billet?

Generally speaking, other than saving a ton of money on material and labor, casting sucks compared to a piece machined from a billet. The CNC machine has reversed this in some application. Some parts are now cheaper to machine on a CNC rather than cast them.

Granted, I wouldn't have thought a 427 FE would be cheaper to make on a CNC, but Dave is a pretty sharp guy. Anyway, it sure would be higher quality.
Patent issues I believe?

They'll be 3D printing them soon enough.

Ps. I like it when Patrick's in these moods. It entertains me.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Patent issues I believe?

They'll be 3D printing them soon enough.
Patent issues? Aren't they all just duplicating a sideoiler or 427 top-oiler engine, which was originally built roughly circa 1962-1964 (or whatever year)? Don't patents sunset after 20 years? I'm sure someone will correct me.

I just think between building Kirkham Coupes and Cobras and taking on the Shelby orders, they're just too busy for a alloy block. They do make billet aluminum Girling calipers now.

Last edited by RodKnock; 11-21-2016 at 12:33 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Ps. I like it when Patrick's in these moods. It entertains me.
In schools today, educators call it "oppositional defiant disorder" (ODD) and give the kids meds. Patrick already take too many meds. He must, because he thinks his Cobra looks good in Desert Storm Camo beige and "burps up" ancient Buddhist philosophies.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

If Shelby has alloy blocks available, what's the big deal/ If you want one drop the $6-7k and send it to a reputable builder and don't worry about it. I can say that my block, #597 has performed well and I would drop the $ I did on the ERA with aluminum block again. Great value, great performance, and great resale.

Phil