Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
I don't think so, as he stated,...."This engine block started life as a 390"
That doesn't mean anything. As Olddog stated, a LOT of 428's out there started life using blocks that came from disassembled 390's. If the casting numbers match, and if the block was well tested to ensure it can handle the final bore, then no harm, no foul in my mind...

I'm not sure I would call the final engine a "CobraJet" if the only Cobrajet parts in it are the connecting rods, but hey - What does "CobraJet" mean, anyway...???

"CobraJet" was just a meaningless brand name/trademark that Ford put on stickers, in order to make the Mustang sound sportier (and in order to keep cashing in on the "Cobra" mystique that Ford appropriated from its business relationship with Shelby...)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

So what is the criteria to judge by? So if I bore and stroke a 390 block to 428 CID and I disclose that fact, what more can I do. It is the standard 428 bore and stroke. Do you expect it to be advertised as a 390?

If so then I can take a 390 block and drop a 352 crank in it. I believe that is the 360. So I can then advertise this as a 390, since it started life as a 390. Now I would call that dishonest.

To me the only question is how much meat is left in the thinnest part of the thinnest cylinder. There are many 390 blocks that were not cast thick enough to bore that far. Then of the ones that were cast thick enough there can be core shifts that leave one side too thin on one cylinder. My concern would be how well was this tested and verified.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Neutral     

Not enough details about the engine. That said, 520 hp would be about the best you could get out of that engine set up for pump gas and street duty. That set up would sacrifice low end torque/driveability.
Now if the motor is set up for low end torque, look for a dual plane manifold, top end horsepower would fall. Then torque is the number you would want to look at. Horsepower is a simple calculation: tq x rpm / 5252. 5252 is where every horsepower and torque curve cross each other. Therefore, 480 hp at 5000 rpm is substantially better than 480 hp at 6000 rpm (on identical engines).
FE heads do not flow as well as most modern heads especially aftermarket ( my assumption is that they do not have the physical space internally), so comparing hp per cu in from one engine design to another, is not apples to apples.
Good luck,
Mark
Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

That all just makes it too confusing, both from the factory and the seller.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Side Oiler. 560 HP $18,000

Doesn't matter it's on ebay, won't buy anyway.

I may have to build/buy a 385 series, as the FE's have gotten too expensive.

FORD FE 427 SIDE OILER GALAXIE COBRA FAIRLANE RESTORATION OR CUSTOM BUILD | eBay
Old 06-16-2017, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bump.....
Old 06-16-2017, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Bump for what?

You're not ready to buy, right?

We can't talk pages about every eBay and Craigslist engine you find.
eschaider, Gaz64 and joyridin' like this.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Bump for what?

Yeah, getting a little tired of chasing down a new rat hole every few days. Someone is afflicted with analysis paralysis.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Yeah, getting a little tired of chasing down a new rat hole every few days. Someone is afflicted with analysis paralysis.
Agreed. All these posts about pie-in-the-sky cars, engines, driveshafts, and transmissions seem to be getting a bit tiresome.

What is the old saying? Sh*t or get off the pot.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
Agreed. All these posts about pie-in-the-sky cars, engines, driveshafts, and transmissions seem to be getting a bit tiresome.

What is the old saying? Sh*t or get off the pot.
Well, as someone that spent well over 15 years on the pot, I can certainly empathize trying to figure stuff out. Keep asking Robert.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bump for what?

Something wrong about that Brent ?

If you don't want to partake, you don't have to.

There's other engine builders that will talk about different engine's, specs, parts, dyno runs, comparison's etc.....

Learning,.... is a good thing. Exactly what I'm doing.

I thought,..... this is a discussion forum ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-16-2017 at 07:19 PM..
Old 06-17-2017, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't understand the point of these "discussions".

You have mentioned in one of the 3-4 other threads that you have started that you're not ready to buy but yet you come across multiple eBay and Craigslist ads and ask what everyone thinks about the price and if it's worth buying.

That was my point, if you're not ready to buy, talking about every engine that comes up for sale is pointless.

I don't see any other builders discussing anything. Lance was on here talking about the 460 based engines but it finally came down to his saying, "Feel free to call the shop when you're ready to do something."

I think you need to narrow down what you want and only you can do that. Club Cobra can't do it for you.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Well, as someone that spent well over 15 years on the pot, I can certainly empathize trying to figure stuff out. Keep asking Robert.
What is there to figure out? Which Ebay ad is more accurate? Now we have even gone so far as to post emails written to vendors selling their products on Ebay telling them what is wrong with their ads....still with no intent to buy.

Last edited by joyridin'; 06-17-2017 at 05:35 AM..
Old 06-17-2017, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't understand the point of these "discussions".

You have mentioned in one of the 3-4 other threads that you have started that you're not ready to buy but yet you come across multiple eBay and Craigslist ads and ask what everyone thinks about the price and if it's worth buying.

That was my point, if you're not ready to buy, talking about every engine that comes up for sale is pointless.

I don't see any other builders discussing anything. Lance was on here talking about the 460 based engines but it finally came down to his saying, "Feel free to call the shop when you're ready to do something."

I think you need to narrow down what you want and only you can do that. Club Cobra can't do it for you.
Again Brent, it's about learning from others about these engines, what we need and want, how are the prices to all of us that are learning, and,....just to discuss all of these questions. I have no,...idea why you don't understand ? Can any of us ask you questions about certain engines or only about yours ?

Are we supposed to just buy your engines without any questions, or do you let us have say, 5 then our time is up ?

About Lance, he answered my questions without a problem, then told me to call to discuss the three I'm looking into. Tha's awesome of him to do so.
I'd rather talk over the phone anyway.

If you don't want to answer questions, I'm not making you, don't reply then.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-17-2017 at 06:08 AM..
Old 06-17-2017, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
Not enough details about the engine. That said, 520 hp would be about the best you could get out of that engine set up for pump gas and street duty. That set up would sacrifice low end torque/driveability.
Now if the motor is set up for low end torque, look for a dual plane manifold, top end horsepower would fall. Then torque is the number you would want to look at. Horsepower is a simple calculation: tq x rpm / 5252. 5252 is where every horsepower and torque curve cross each other. Therefore, 480 hp at 5000 rpm is substantially better than 480 hp at 6000 rpm (on identical engines).
FE heads do not flow as well as most modern heads especially aftermarket ( my assumption is that they do not have the physical space internally), so comparing hp per cu in from one engine design to another, is not apples to apples.
Good luck,
Mark
Thanks Mark, you've outlined several good answers to my questions. It's great that you're willing to discuss them. I agree that torque is what gets the car going.

What engine do you have ?
Old 06-17-2017, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Again Brent, it's about learning from others about these engines, what we need and want, how are the prices to all of us that are learning, and,....just to discuss all of these questions. I have no,...idea why you don't understand ? Can any of us ask you questions about certain engines or only about yours ?

Are we supposed to just buy your engines without any questions, or do you let us have say, 5 then our time is up ?

About Lance, he answered my questions without a problem, then told me to call to discuss the three I'm looking into. Tha's awesome of him to do so.
I'd rather talk over the phone anyway.

If you don't want to answer questions, I'm not making you, don't reply then.
I let people ask as many questions as they want about a particular engine that they're interested in, but when they are looking at 2-3 different engine families, various variations of each, I advise them like I did you....narrow down what you want and then come back. Frankly if I spent time with every person that's in your spot, I'd never get anything done.

And to be frank, you have contacted me twice over the past 5-6 years with the intent of magazine advertisers trying to front the money or donate parts. I don't operate like that, so I'm not interested in your business. I also advised you not to use your first builder and you didn't heed that advice either.

I am essentially answering the questions that I'm answering for the sake of the others reading.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Over the course of my 60+ years and over 40 years working / in business I have had many people come to me seeking advice, recommendations or answers - which I have readily given - it is my inherent nature to do so. I get great satisfaction from helping others and improving their ability to succeed - personally and professionally.

There have been a handful of people over those years who have come seeking advice or counsel - then completely ignored it. While I don't expect everyone to blindly accept my advice or follow everything I say, there comes a point when I realize they're not interested in getting better or improving, they're only wasting my time. It is at that point where my door is no longer open to them. YMMV
Dwight likes this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 06-17-2017 at 12:57 PM..
Old 06-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

For some reason, I'm remembering back to when I was a teenager and wanted to buy a reasonably nice stereo system. I was up in New York for some reason and took the opportunity to visit 47th Street Photo. They had, without a doubt, the best prices I'd ever seen. You had to wait in line, of which there were five or six, before you could get up to the front where the owners sat behind a tall counter. I patiently waited in line, made it to the counter, the guy asked how he could help me, and I said "I have a question about the Pioneer Model blah, blah, blah." He immediately replied "if you've got questions, go somewhere else, if you're ready to buy, come back here. NEXT!" I think that's exactly what I ended up doing, too.
dcdoug likes this.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I let people ask as many questions as they want about a particular engine that they're interested in, but when they are looking at 2-3 different engine families, various variations of each, I advise them like I did you....narrow down what you want and then come back. Frankly if I spent time with every person that's in your spot, I'd never get anything done.

And to be frank, you have contacted me twice over the past 5-6 years with the intent of magazine advertisers trying to front the money or donate parts. I don't operate like that, so I'm not interested in your business. I also advised you not to use your first builder and you didn't heed that advice either.

I am essentially answering the questions that I'm answering for the sake of the others reading.
I'm not interested in you, period. You really have a bad attitude, and I'm not the only member that feels this way. People have left CC becaus of you and atlest three others that I know of.There are three other engine builders here, that are very repected, so I'll never do business with you or advise others to do so. These other builders have never disrespected people like you.

Do not,....post on my threads again. You're not welcome any longer.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Do not,....post on my threads again. You're not welcome any longer.
You need to post the little emoji that has a tongue sticking out when you write something like that.