Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2017, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I have a bad attitude? People have left Club Cobra just because of something I said? Yeah, I'm not buying that.

Drama much?

I have not disrespected anyone. I just hate to see the time of good people go to waste over nothing. I saw you over on Jay's forum asking the same questions and a bunch of good guys who were chasing the ball for you because they don't know that you're a tire kicker.

I shot a text to Barry and to a few others to let them know.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You need to post the little emoji that has a tongue sticking out when you write something like that.
He needs to grow up and wear some big boy underpants.

Patrick, you have my permission to post *my* meme....you know the one.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I have a bad attitude? People have left Club Cobra just because of something I said? Yeah, I'm not buying that.

Drama much?

I have not disrespected anyone. I just hate to see the time of good people go to waste over nothing. I saw you over on Jay's forum asking the same questions and a bunch of good guys who were chasing the ball for you because they don't know that you're a tire kicker.

I shot a text to Barry and to a few others to let them know.

Good luck.
Brent:

For every FUNFER2 there are many, perhaps hundreds, who agree with you - and probably more likely to actually support you and your business and not just pick your brain and waste your time.

Even if we accept the assertion (and I don't) that a handful have left CC because of you, we're probably better off without them if they're only here to waste time or troll.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Period....
Old 06-22-2017, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I've always been amazed at how available Brent is on this forum to provide responses, items of interest, build logs, etc - and manage to run a business and have time for a family. I don't see any others able to make themselves that available. Anyone seen or heard from David Kee in the last few years (decade)? Not sure if he is on a milk carton or not.
Gaz64, joyridin', dcdoug and 2 others like this.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

What's really funny is that I wouldn't even dream of putting anywhere near the time I put in on this hobby-forum towards any of my work-related forums. That would be work, not a hobby. It's really amazing that we get the free advice that we do from the pros on this board.
Pete Munroe, Gaz64, dcdoug and 2 others like this.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I ued to get along with Brent until he started throwing a tis fit lately, about people asking the sames questions all the time, even if if they wern't the same people. He and some others expect everyone,.....to use the search box all the time, and yes, we can all, find what we are looking for using a search tool, but alot of us use both, and there is nothing, wrong with that !

If anyone, get's tired of the same question being asked and answered, DON'T REPLY !
Simple ! Go to some other thread....

Brent, you can call me and oth3rs what you want, like "drama much", but we can call you the same, as you're the one that started this ! Not me....Go back and read !

And yes, you and a few others that have benn here for ages, think that you can say anything,....you want, and you and these few others have turned people away because of it.
You few members need to get off your high horse and climb down and be realistic with the rest of us. I and many, many others have done nothing wrong with asking the same questions over and over.

So yes, you have a bad attitude. You disrespect people all the time, like me with this thread, asking my question, that you felt you had to throw your well known weight around by getting on my back. Well, I don't care. I'm sure people that read all what you've written will turn themselves away from you as a person and engine builder.

Everything would be just fine, if you,.....didn't start this issue on my,.....thread.

Now, if this issue was on your,...thread, fine, tell people what you want by not asking the same question over and over.

So, why did you, have to start this problem ?

Nobody else was complaigning.....

Oh yeah, there's also nothing,....wrong with tire kicking by asking other engine builders the same questions, or creating the same questions on other website forums. Most people will agree, that we all window shop, by getting the best we can on the same or similure products.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-22-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Old 06-22-2017, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here you go Brent, quoted from the dictionary. Meaning of a website forum.

"An Internet forum, or message board, is an online "discussion" site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived"

And like I asked, why did you,....have to start this issue ?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Neutral     

Brent and a bunch of the other guys are right, FUNFER2. You are wrong!

Time to get a pair and make a decision. Right or wrong make a decision!

The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision. You are starting to look like one ...

Ed
cycleguy55 likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is a public forum. It's not *your* thread, it's not *my* thread. When you post something publicly, it belongs to everyone.

For crying out loud dude, man up, and quit being a whiny girl about things. This isn't Oprah.

Why did I start "this issue"? Because this is the 11th thread you've started in the past month's time, all with the same general subject.

You also went through this same process this time last year, where you linked us all to different Ebay auctions, and asked the exact same questions.

You are not ready to buy, so linking us to individual engines for sale and asking copious amounts of questions about them is a waste of time for everyone involved. Considering that you tend to not listen to any advice that's given to you only exacerbates things.

Let's get something else clear: I haven't ran anyone off because of a "bad attitude" and you certainly didn't have any issue talking to me or with my reputation when I was answering your questions....

Trust me, my business won't slow down because your 15th post on which engine to buy finally got on my nerves and I decided to say something. But if people see me as a grouchy ole Gus, then so be it.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am beginning to think Funfer2 is really NewYorkGuy in disguise!
twobjshelbys and Al G like this.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As I've said and personaly told you, that I'm researching engines, not ready to buy !
So, there's no problem with asking questions and discussing different parts etc.....

What, do you think that we have to only be members on CC, anf not other websites ? !
I could have the same questions on 1,000 websites, what does that matter to you !

Get off your high horse Brent !

I don't know you mentioned on CC being a public forum, of course it is dumb dumb ! LOL !
That does not make sence.

Like I mrntiond above, you used to answer questions fine, no problem until late. If you don't want to, THEN DON'T !

You should stay off forums and only have an ad for selling, not questions asked or answered, just buy !

BIG PAY BUTTON. Then you'll be happy.

Let it be and stay off my threads, ya jerk. lol......
Old 06-22-2017, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Buzz the pseudo moderator - helping Jamo out

Brent, I wouldn't bother too much about what's being said here. You've always come across in a straight shooting, no BS manner and you've shared a lot of your expertise and advice for nothing more than the benefit of the community. Your reputation and respect as a CC member and expert builder are - I'm pretty certain - rock solid, and with good reason.

Have you ever pissed people off on Club Cobra? Maybe - but if so it would be because you stated your position honestly and without ill intentions. Sometimes the truth hurts. Life is tough.

Funfer - I don't know what to say... You seem like a really nice, enthusiastic guy, but Brent and others have a point. Your questions have been numerous (which is fine) and repetitive (not so fine). You're right that people don't have to read or respond, but you're hearing from Brent and others who have answered a lot of your questions for a long time, and they're just wondering what has been the point of it all.

No bad people here - just different points of view. I have to say the threads and questions seem repetitive to me, but I haven't invested much time in providing answers so I can observe (or not) and move on.

One thing does bug me though - it's all of the commas and the "...," creative punctuations in your posts. Pain in the arse to read
cycleguy55 likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-22-2017, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Brent, I wouldn't bother too much about what's being said here. You've always come across in a straight shooting, no BS manner and you've shared a lot of your expertise and advice for nothing more than the benefit of the community. Your reputation and respect as a CC member and expert builder are - I'm pretty certain - rock solid, and with good reason.

Have you ever pissed people off on Club Cobra? Maybe - but if so it would be because you stated your position honestly and without ill intentions. Sometimes the truth hurts. Life is tough.

Funfer - I don't know what to say... You seem like a really nice, enthusiastic guy, but Brent and others have a point. Your questions have been numerous (which is fine) and repetitive (not so fine). You're right that people don't have to read or respond, but you're hearing from Brent and others who have answered a lot of your questions for a long time, and they're just wondering what has been the point of it all.

No bad people here - just different points of view. I have to say the threads and questions seem repetitive to me, but I haven't invested much time in providing answers so I can observe (or not) and move on.

One thing does bug me though - it's all of the commas and the "...," creative punctuations in your posts. Pain in the arse to read
We used to get along, until this thread. I and many others respect his engine building and knowledge, but again until this thread changed things. Maybe he's had enough then he lost it, lol...don't know ?

Look, I don't mean to tell my life story, but some may explain why I do and say things that I do.

From a fall at two years old, I injured my brain, was in a coma for 9 days and I have a headache to migrain amount of pain and these damn zaps in my head 24/7. The amount of pain changes hundredes of times per day, up & down on my scale from 1-10. The zaps are terrible. School, learning, concentration & paying attention to anything was and is very hard, at times impossible. I have a host of other medical problems as well. I've never let them stop me from living some type of normal life. May knock me down, but not for long anyway. lol

I had to stop school in the second quarter of my junior year of high school as I missed too much school, not having enough credits, so I studied and received a GED.
I couldn't keep a job, but I did go through autobody tech school making it to 5 of 6 quarters. Was hired by a wonderful autobody shop that I became a real good painter and Hot Rod builder, I loved it, but I could not keep a regular schedule with owners of cars etc, so I was let go, and don't blame him as with all my boss's.

To be honest, I walked 6 miles one night to a Church ready to die after speaking with a paster, but the doors was locked. After this, my family said that's enough so I retired at age 25. My wife and family have always been here for me. When my wife and bought our home I did auto repair and custom bodywork in my garage but had the same problems with customers. I'd be ok for a few days, then in bed for a few or longer, then a neighbor up the street called me in for noise, so that was over.

I built a Pro-Street Camaro at 18 years old and sold it to help buy our house. I saved money and at 40, we bought a Cobra kit. That was the year 2001. I found the wonderful Club Cobra and all the information and great members helped me out a lot. Took me a long time to finish, but it was great building.

I bought a nice 428FE with 450 HP then a few years later the rocker shaft broke at #1 cylinder and bent a pushrod 90°, so we rebuilt it with 501 HP rwhp.

Within 6 years, my brother was killed, dad died by a stroke and mom had ovarion cancer. I'm a diabetic and after some dental work I got a infection so bad it's called septic blood. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days, back home,then was flown to the Mayo Clinic for almost a month, via Medical jet. I almost died twice. I had to sell my engine and tranny to help pay for the $126,000 bill. We still owe 17,000 after insurance and still fighting them. Before insurance, the bill was $380,000.

I have a few more medical problems as of late.

With my engine builder problem and everything else, I lost my spirit for life, but I'm starting to try and get it back. I got back onto CC a little bit ago after several years of inactivity.

Sorry for the vent, but I feel I'm getting picked on. I try real hard to be a good man, so I'm sorry for the way I am. I get very confused and my memory sucks, so I'm sorry that I repeate myself.

I wish that more people would do some "bench racing" like years ago. Like what I've done here, by looking at different used engine for sale on the internet, different combonations of parts, manufactures parts, dyno tests, engine builders etc.... I like all of that and it's fun !

Every time I get money saved up to build a engine (I can't have a kitty purr of a engine) something comes up with my health, that we have to pay for more medical bill's. I've had cash like 5 times in the last several years, but gotta use it for other means.

I had a heart attack last Nov,. with several bouts of heart spasims, so I'm still not healthy. I may need help when I do FINALLY get a motor. lol

There's much more, but I'm guessing you have heard enough already. lol....

Anyway, I haven't given up on getting a great engine again
I love driving it so much,... and it really helps my spirit !
Gaz64 likes this.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-22-2017 at 07:56 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We all have issues that we deal with. It's part of life and it's what strengthens us as we grow older.

I had a good friend that passed away this week. Ten years ago, he was having replacement hip surgery. The doctor placed a clamp and it nicked an artery. His arteries were in such shape that they ended up cutting him from neck to bottom to try and fix the initial hole that was caused.

They couldn't fix the hip, even *after they had cut his ball joint off*. He had to live for the next 10 years with a pad in his hip.

This week he had surgery to repair some heart issues. He suffered a heart attack on the table but they were able to keep him going. His kidneys then failed. He made it for a couple of days then passed away.

When I was born, I was born without passages to connect my nostrils to the rest of my air passages. The doctor pulled me out when I was born and when they put the syringe in my nose to suck the junk out, it bottomed out. I couldn't take a bottle for a complete year because when I would suck, I would create a vaccum and then couldn't breathe while I was drinking. I had to have surgery on my first birthday, where they stood me up on my head, cut the soft palate out of my mouth, drill the holes where they should have been, and then sew it all back up.

Believe me, I'm sorry that you have had so many health problems, but we all have problems to some extent.

In a world where some people would kill to have a complete meal and fill their stomachs, we are truly blessed by God to have *toys* like we do. I really can't feel sorry for someone who's down on themselves because they can't swing a $12k engine right now when a 12 year old kid across the world weighs 35 lbs. First world problems........

Listen dude, if I ruffled your feathers, I apologize.

However, the questions you have been asking, can only be answered by yourself. We can't decide whether or not an FE is more appropriate or a stroked 460. That's for you to decide, and 11 threads later, we still haven't provided any more information for you to make a decision. I would take some time to sit down by yourself and figure it out. You have 3 key points that you need to figure out: cost, horsepower, and originality.
Gaz64 and ACHiPo like this.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry for you friends problems, really incredible, but his death was a blessing.
And your birthing nose issue is amazing. So that's why you're so stuck up !
Did you have plastic surgery ?

I've always known that there's a lot of people that have worse problems than I, like you said about hunger, which in 2017 nobody should starve !
Alot of people that I know me don't realize my pain problem as I don't tell people, unless it gets to a point that I can't hide the pain. I do that even to my wife.

I don't want sympathy, just understanding of how I have to things an live my life, as I don't have a choice.

On my threads. I'll try to change on how I write them. I felt that if it doesen't have to do exactly on what I'm speaking, I'll start a new thread. It just makes it easier for me to look up my heading later. Does thst make sence ?

Like you said, "Listen dude, if I ruffled your feathers, I apologize"
I do too buddy, I get defensive if I get backed into the rope, I'll come out fighting.

I of course know that it's my decision, but I like other peoples advise, discusions and options.
Since you're a engine builder, you know the options so it's easy for you, but others like me, we don't. Being a do it your self guy, think of a hobby that you don't know much about it, wouldn't you have many questions and want to discuss the options ?

It' fun for us to discuss cars/engines/women,....isn't it boys ?
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Well I think I understand how it looks from each persons perspective, and their point of view. You never know for sure until you have walked in someone else's shoes. I'm glad both apologized and hope we all can all bury the hatchet here - so to speak - and move on. No point in anyone piling on or pouring any racing fuel, on the smoldering embers as this one fizzles out.

Most of us appreciate all the help and free advise Bent and the other builders who chime in from time to time. But I will say it anyway, thank you.

Funfer2 I get it. Once in a while I would like to just shoot the breeze on ideas and bounce them back and forth. It seems not too many folks on the Net is looking for that or at least they are hard to find.

One of the problems of people tossing out opinions is that a whole lot of untruths, superstitions, and what not gets out there and stays out there forever. Then those who are in the know are trying to kill these falsehoods. We live in a time where everything known to man is at your finger tips, with a google search, almost instantly. People don't want to take the time to talk or hear a good story, they just want the facts and move on.

So I will humor you a bit. I understand what it is like to want something and not have the funds yet. You still want to be active, so you want to examine your options every-which-way from Sunday. It is better than crying in your beer, and it prepares you for when you do get the funds.

Engine choice can drive you nuts. The Modular was and now the Coyote is the choice for someone who wants new modern technology and has no longing or nostalgia for the good old days. Blasphemy the purist scream. Realize people born after 1980 (37 yrs old) have no memory of the cars of the 1960's or what it was like.

The first Cobra's were small block and the purest do not want them in a 427 Cobra body, but there are tons of them out there. Even though I have a 5.0 / 347 stroker, I cannot recommend this engine. The factory blocks are not that strong and you have to get fairly radical to make the power.

The Cleveland was a great engine in its day but Ford and most of the world left it behind, as unfortunate as it is. I think Shelby would have loved to put that engine in a Cobra. Had it existed perhaps the 427 FE would never have been used, but the timing was all wrong. We will never know.

That leaves the 351 Windsor, small block. What started out as the ugly duckling, became a swan, when stroker kits became the rage. Now make that a 427 cid Clevor (or CHI down under heads) and damn. This is becoming an engine porn story. At this point you are talking serious power, great looks, and reasonable costs.

And now for the 427 side oiler that started the whole awesome Cobra story. Like it or not it is the holey grail of Cobra engines. The problem is the price. Few original unmolested blocks are out there, and the aftermarket blocks just make the price tag even higher. You might get lucky and find something in a barn, but you might get burned with a boat anchor, too. These things just cost too much for many of us.

So we step down to any old FE. With stroker kits, a 390 FE can go to ~440 cid. Plenty to build serious power. So for a lot of extra money and extra complex engine design to possibly cause headaches, you can have an FE that belongs in a 427 Cobra. Nothing wrong with that if you can afford it.

Now you can argue how many 428 FE were put in the original 427 Cobra and how most people couldn't tell the different between a 427 SO and any other FE, if it makes you feel better. Truth is the only thing that could possibly turn on a Cobra nut more than a 427 SO would be a Cammer, and the original purest will frown on that too. Not to mention a Cammer is Premo-Money.

So that leave us with the 385 series engine. One it doesn't belong in a 427 Cobra body any more than a Windsor or Coyote. Two you have to have a magic shoe horn and mirrors (a little smoke would help) to fit it in a Cobra. But it will fit. There are plenty out there. Now if you get past one and two, here is an engine that can make huge power on a beer budget. When you have over 500 cid, you cannot help but have monster torque. A decent set of heads and a reasonable cam and you have huge HP. You just do not need to spend a bunch of many to make 600 HP.

This all said, you never know when you will come across a good buy on any engine, but if you have to build one from scratch, I believe HP/$ the 385 series engine family wins.

Last edited by olddog; 06-23-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Old 06-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Good, Basic FE for Sale

Buy this for seven grand and be done with it.

FORD FE BIG BLOCK 390 - 450 HORSE CRATE ENGINE / PRO-BUILT / NEW 351 408 427 428 | eBay

If you can't come up with seven grand, then it's time to shut it down.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I left because of Brent, but now I'm back.

Seriously, if "you" (not Brent specifically) don't like the thread, then don't click on it and post on it. Holy cow. Is it that hard to look away or ignore it.

And what the heck is wrong with doing research on various engine families and asking a lot of questions? Sure, some of us know that an all-aluminum FE is the best and only choice for a 427 Cobra, notwithstanding some engine builders not being able to handle machining them not to leak, but there are others who just don't know which is best (all-aluminum FE's), so they ask questions.

When did we become so intolerant? You would think there's a political rally around here.

<Insert GIF of cartoon man dropping his pants and showing his bare butt>
Old 06-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, I gave you the butt-man emoji, but for some reason you thought it was "too realistic."