Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
60 extra cubes eats up a lot of camshaft duration. You're way under on duration and lift both, even for a conservative application.

I built a 482 for a 65 F250 where the guy pulls a 10000 lb travel trailer and it has more camshaft than that.

FEs are harder to cam for than traditional engines and you can't rely on cam tech lines, catalogs, or guys that build Chevys to nail one down.
Brent, I've heard that FE's are harder to select a proper cam, without giving your secret's, please explain that situation and what is best to get it right.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bars View Post
Yeah, I feel more knowledge will make for a better engine.
I can say that while most of the time I drive them at 1/4 throttle with the occasional blip or a quick ride to 65. On the other hand, while I think my GT500 with 550 hp is a bad snake. Then I go to the Shelby bash, take it on the track at spring mountain and get passed by a super snake like I'm driving a Prius. Dam!
On those days it is flat out with the pedal matted. I can't wait to do that with the Cobra.
I don't drag race much. I do like the road course. That was part of our conversation.
I will be excited to take weight off the front of the car.
I don't compeat mind you, just have fun on track days. And this is part of why big hp numbers are not at the top of !y list.
Now something to ask about side pipes. What and where do you get better flowing exhaust? I have a superformance
I can build you pipes for your Superformance. 304 highly polished stainless steel. No
muffler if you choose or straight through with louvers. Check out my photo's.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Are you aware of the numerous studies that link exposure to aluminum with greater cognitive decline with time and that also indicate that those exposed individuals are at a significantly increased risk of dementia? Yup, not making that up....
I would think your risk of exposure to aluminum is greater than mine. I don't drink from aluminum cans nor do I eat processed foods. And I don't spend a lot of time licking and smelling my polished alloy Kirkham.

I'd be more worried about respiratory problems from those fibers from that friable fiberglass body. Those oxygen tanks that you use for welding can also do double duty for any future respiratory issues from breathing those fiberglass fibers over the years.

Last edited by RodKnock; 07-06-2017 at 09:21 AM..
Old 07-08-2017, 01:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     

OMG I have just realised that I'm exposed to aluminium everyday. I don't want to get dementia. Is there a barrier cream I can apply, or a special helmet I can wear to minimise the effects?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Brent, I've heard that FE's are harder to select a proper cam, without giving your secret's, please explain that situation and what is best to get it right.
No thanks.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427 FE
Not Ranked     

Well the parts are showing up. Hope the block still get here this week. After all you guys shared I have been doing lots of studying on cams (Yes I talked with Brent), intakes, manifolds and exhaust. I do know it will have a hydraulic roller cam. Specs are still TBD.
As my car is a Superformance with power assist brakes manifold vacuum is important. Also how it goes from idle to acceleration. So when it is on a road course and it goes into the corner with closed or lite throttle and has to roll on at the apex. Much different demands than drag strip.
All this makes it fun. And of course, now I need to pick valve covers because my old ones were the finned "428 COBRA" ones.
This forum is awesome!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bars View Post
I do know it will have a hydraulic roller cam.

This forum is awesome!
Quote:
Or my old school 245/245 LSA 114 solid flat tappet. It was wonderful when it came out in 1963, and it still is today.
What, no "1963" for you?

Thank goodness you don't listen to everyone here. Otherwise, we would all be driving "sandy" beige Cobras with ancient camshafts in faux FE's.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
What, no "1963" for you?

Thank goodness you don't listen to everyone here. Otherwise, we would all be driving "sandy" beige Cobras with ancient camshafts in faux FE's.
Yep, but did you know that a Roush 511RFE with a TKO on it costs north of $50k now? I was just perusing the VMS configuration page and stumbled on that. Vintage Motorsports - Backdraft Racing Roadster Online Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

uh, no, While I can respect "old school" I want the mix of the new. Kind of like my Jeep. a 1947 and as much as I like some of the 47 parts and design I took advantage of some new. lockers and such.
I guess that's what makes my car mine, right?

Now if it was an original "real" Cobra.........????
Old 07-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

... hmmmm, or order it from Summit for $28k. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/roi-511rfe That's interesting.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... hmmmm, or order it from Summit for $28k. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/roi-511rfe That's interesting.
Without getting to deep in the weeds here, I'm going to make an assumption that VMS's cost includes installation, profit and some cushion in the likelihood that the Roush engine blows up and Roush takes 1-2 years to send the claim through their Warranty Dept. only to get the owner reimbursed about 1/4 of the original cost.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Without getting to deep in the weeds here, I'm going to make an assumption that VMS's cost includes installation, profit and some cushion in the likelihood that the Roush engine blows up and Roush takes 1-2 years to send the claim through their Warranty Dept. only to get the owner reimbursed about 1/4 of the original cost.
Well I'm a big believer in making a profit. Frankly, I'd like to see the engine builders, and car builders, that are on this site make more money than they do.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well I'm a big believer in making a profit.
Well, there's a bold statement, especially coming from a lawyer of all professions.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well the block came in and looks good so far. Pieces have shown up and we are still in cam talk. I will sacrifice some HP for reliable. Meaning keeping lift under 600. Thanks to many of you I have been getting a big education on the different components and cause and effect. Along with searching manufactures and other forums.
I am excited because i know it will be more than the 428 and that was scary fast on the street.
I am still considering the exhaust up grade, but for now the focus is engine. After all I may want to add something after I get used to another 100 HP
Old 07-19-2017, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Cam time!

Cam design and selection is my favorite part of engine building. Some engines, like the FE and Cleveland need really specific parameters that are only found by years of dynoing and racing.

A Cleveland guy on my forum emailed me and said that he had another builder spec him a solid flat tappet camshaft for his 408C and he wanted to see if I could squeak him out anymore power for the drag strip. I made him go .4 of a second faster......that's about 80 hp worth.

FE's respond better to a specific shape of lobe on a hydraulic roller. Some guys like to spec aggressive lobes (such as Comp Cams Xtreme Energy or XFI series) and they end up losing horsepower and rpm both. Some lobe designs make a lot more torque than others.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... and a SFT is off the table I take it?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... and a SFT is off the table I take it?
We're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Nobody wants a camshaft from 1963.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
We're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Nobody wants a camshaft from 1963.
Uhhh, Bob Dole might....
Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
No thanks.
Interpretation / conclusion: Brent has grown tired of FUNFER2's endless questions (with no apparent end in sight) under the guise of 'research'.

Many years ago I worked in retail (sporting goods, including firearms) before moving on with my career. There were a few people (I hesitate to call them customers) who would come in with no end of questions and consume inordinate amounts of my time (and other store staff), often while other customers were waiting for assistance. These tire-kickers rarely, if ever, actually bought anything. They were browsers and tire-kickers, not buyers.

While it was certainly not in the best interests of staff to be inattentive or rude to customers it didn't take long before those individuals became well known to me and those I worked with, and we took steps to to be busy serving others. If there weren't other customers to keep us busy we found ways to be busy - or just disappear.

I suspect Brent would prefer serving other customers.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

While I'm sure Brent is (or can be) tired of tire kickers, my take away was that he didn't want to invite all the online "experts" who might have something to say about his expertise.

There's a handful of FE experts who specifically service us, as well as another handful of super high-end ($$$) race shops, and they don't all do things the same.

Answering that question could be begging for attention from the peanut gallery.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: