Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SOHC kits

Sorry for not responding. When the server went down, it quit sending me updates on this thread. I just checked on it for s+g's tonight, and saw that I had missed two posts.
We started production on the kits a few weeks ago. We have a bunch of the small stuff done, like the valve covers, rockers, etc. Dove is starting to cast the heads this week. Jim thinks we will have the first kits ready to ship in about 30 days, I am betting on 60 days.
We had planned on doing a run of 20 kits, I wanted a few extras so Jim could offer some turn key engines. The first 20 sold out before we started production. I talked Jim into doing 5 more so we would have some extras. I put a new listing on ebay, it is running now.
We should have one of the kits up and running sometime in the next week or two. It is just a run of the mill all aluminum, 871 blown cammer. A customer wanted Jim to do a turnkey motor, and install in his 69 GT 500 clone. Should be a fun street ride.
I wish Bill Coon good luck with his project. That $10,000 price is going to be hard to hit starting from scratch.

Paul
Old 06-08-2008, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

surprised some of the larger companies haven't made these parts yet unless i am not looking hard enough

if only i could slip one into a bone stock lowest rung mustang "missing" emblems

lets think on that...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default wanting purchase a 427 SOHC

I'm interested in finding a 427 SOHC.Can anyone help me.thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 331 Sportsman block, T5Z, 3.55 IRS, Fuel Safe cell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63FBFORD View Post
I'm interested in finding a 427 SOHC.Can anyone help me.thanks
http://www.cushmancompetition.com/427SOHC.html
Old 06-25-2008, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #726 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     

Finding it isn't the problem; everything is available if you're looking in the right places. Biggest issues are finding someone who can build and tune it as there are many pitfalls with a Cammer. Other problem is making sure you don't run out of $$$$$$.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Money won't be a problem.What about this kit I read about on this thread.Are these still available?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

History dictates that Dove is not someone to put your money on. You insist on going back again and again to give him another chance (major waste of time). Either his heart is not into it, the talent is JUST NOT THERE or both. Find another foundry, pattern maker and consultant.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Are you the same J O'Rourke that makes the headers?

If you are, you shouldn't be throwing stones at anyone.
It has been a long road, but I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. Parts for the first 5 kits are finished, just working on the water pumps. They should start shipping in about a week. Parts for about 40 kits are cast up, and going through the machining process. We decided that since the first run of kits sold out, we would do a second. I have been waiting until the first run of kits were ready to ship before I started to line up buyers for the second run. The bad news is the price is going up. The price of materials and fuel is driving everything through the roof. We are now looking at $12,500 for the kits.
The good news, the parts are looking great!!! The casting quality is excellent. The first kit went together with some of the prototype parts, and old castings. It is up and running with a 871 blower in the shelby mustang clone without any issues. It sounds great, and blows away the 15 inch wide MT tires at will. If anyone has any questions, drop me an email at ppcsolomon@hotmail.com and I will get back to you.

Paul
Old 06-25-2008, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wasn't throwing stones, just my opinion as we are allowed to do on this forum. But if I were throwing stones, why shouldn't I (being that I am the one that sells the headers)? 114 sets sold with one complaint. As it turned out, the problem was NOT with what I sold him. The biggest problem was that he did not like my attitude when I didn't like the e-mail that his friend sent me. He too was wrong. So do me a favor and expand on what you think you know about me.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     
Default These are nice SOHC heads $5000 pair bare. Cheaper then DOVE?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...from+Bill+Coon

The casting looks great as well. The DOVE heads Jay Brown bought had tons of issues.
chris
Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Jay's heads were from the old castings.....

I got those heads for Jay. They were some of the last sets of the old castings. Jay wanted to get the heads max ported, and the guy that does his heads was slow around Christmas. He did not want to wait for he new castings. They were only partially machined on the CNC equipment. They had some issues, the issues with the machining have been corrected in the CNC program. The new castings are much better than those castings.
The Coon heads are nice. I looked at a set in April. They are not from the original tooling, and do not look like Ford parts from the 60's. I like the look of the original Ford stuff. You cannot tell the difference between the Ford pieces and the new Dove pieces when they are on the motor. Also, try to get the rest of the parts to finish the motor from Coon. Not going to happen any time soon, maybe never.
Justin, I don't get into pissing matches on the internet. Why don't you post your phone number on this site and we will talk sometime.

Paul
Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperickson2001 View Post
This is "THE" Ford engine. The 427 side oiler is nice, but can't touch the SOHC. It is the only engine that had a chance at beating a 426 HEMI in competition. I would jump at the chance to get this beast in my car if I had the bucks.-John
The 427 SOHC is the ultimate, however, the 427 SO had more than a chance to beat the hemi and did so regularly, on the street, strip and track. Don't let the hemi legend and 60's era marketing get in the way of the facts.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison
Not Ranked     

I don't know if it has been mentioned in earlier threads, but what kind of flow numbers are we looking at with these heads compared to the FE ??
Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #726 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     

Intakes flow 350+ without porting.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

While the SOHC is the top dog the 427 High Riser heads of 1964 were a close second. Those heads were outlawed by NASCAR in 1965 and the result was the medium riser heads which became quite popular as an alternative. High Riser heads COULD compete with the Hemi. Even today a well worked set of original High Riser heads are hard to beat by ANY after market or modern 427 heads.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
While the SOHC is the top dog the 427 High Riser heads of 1964 were a close second. Those heads were outlawed by NASCAR in 1965 and the result was the medium riser heads which became quite popular as an alternative. High Riser heads COULD compete with the Hemi. Even today a well worked set of original High Riser heads are hard to beat by ANY after market or modern 427 heads.
Dove, and I believe Blue Thunder sell "modified" Hi-Riser heads, with raised floors in the intake ports which are better than the original design I believe. However, I believe the Dove tunnel ports will still flow more than the modified Hi-Risers, but maybe not by much. The problem with the Hi-Risers and Tunnel-Ports are intake selection.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

What ever happened with these kits? Have they been finished, delivered or still in the works?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech 533
Not Ranked     

I would also like to know if these kits were ever finished and delivered.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SOHC kits

Sorry guys,
I have not visited this site for a couple weeks. Things are progressing well on the kits. About 15 of the kits have been shipped so far. There are a few more kits to get out to finish up the first run. Jim Dove has built up two of the kits into turn key motors for customers. A few of the others kits are going together as we speak.
Jim Dove going to make a second run of the kits after these are finished. I will get some updated pictures in the next couple of weeks. Anyone interested in one of the kits can email me at ppcsolomon (at) hotmail.com

Thanks
Paul
Old 01-25-2009, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

what,s the $ and what,s included?