Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 427 SOHC kits for $11,000!!!

Now that I have your attention. I have been working on Jim Dove for almost 5 years to make a SOHC kit. I finally got through. I spoke with Jim on Monday, it looks like the cammer kits will be a go. Jim was looking for 10 people to each buy 10 kits. The large run is what is responsible for the low price. Maybe better news is that I have been working hard to line up a consultant to help in the foundry. More details on this, but hopefully this will help with the casting quality. If you are in a rush, Jim says he can have kits in about 90 days, the whole production run will take much longer so purchase timing is flexible. Some details on the kit:

Block
This block is based on the Ford Lemans aluminum block. It externally is identical to the Ford piece. The main webs are much thicker, and so are the decks. This is going to be a dedicated SOHC block. The lifter bores and the rest of the cam tunnel will not be machined. The standard bore will be 4.25 with a max bore of 4.31. The main saddle bores will be finished to factory minimum, and the oil drain back holes will be drilled. It will come with main studs and crossbolts. The bores will need to be finish honed.

Heads
These are done with original tooling. They will come with 3/8 guides, and hardened seats. The heads are aluminum, and come with matching caps. The guides will need to be finish honed to match your valves, and a good valve job. No further machine work is necessary. The heads feature much thicker combustion chambers and decks then the originals, which were weak points.

Timing covers
The front cover is aluminum, and will no longer have a Dove logo on it. The back cover will be sheetmetal, like the original.

Timing Gears
The full set of gears for the long chain, the tensioner, and the fuel pump excentric will be included. These gears will feature a modern style chain, which is stronger than the original.

Intake
The intake is a Ford XE casting that looks very similar to a tunnelwedge intake. It features a removable top. It will come with a dual four top.

Valve train
The rockers offered currently ar very beefy iron pieces, but may be changed to aluminum in the future. They are very nice pieces, with the correct crown on the rollers. You will get cast cam blanks, ready to be finish ground to your specs. Crane has over 20 profiles to choose from, plus other companies also offer grinding services for the SOHC cams. A cast, fully finished snub cam will also be included, along with the rocker shafts, spacers , and cam bearings.

Bits
The valve covers will also be from the original Ford tooling, and feature the Ford logo. Spark plug tubes, a SOHC specific water pump, and cam locking tabs will also be included. The cam cover plates, snub shaft bearing, and cover will be in there too.

This is a very complete kit, that should only need readily available parts to finish. Just add your choice of reciprocating assembly, and a few odds and ends and you are ready to go. Drop me an email if you are interested.

Paul Solomon
markjw0265 likes this.

Last edited by ogasman; 01-14-2008 at 02:59 AM..
Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great job Paul. This is quite a project to take on, very difficult to execute all the details. To me, it appears to be a great value considering nearly all the major components are included - impressive. Good luck and best wishes on your venture.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow! It's a project I could see myself taking on at some point...
Old 05-17-2007, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD, other is 67 Mustang GTA 390 Convertible w/air,
Send a message via Skype™ to fostereast
Not Ranked     
Default 10 kits

When you have sold ten kits to happy customers with running engines, I'll buy one. This is the wackiest thing I have seen yet in the FE-World.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

Dove is well known for quality problems in their castings. Want to read more go over to FE Forum.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dove quality issues

I am trying to get a foundry consultant to help out at Dove. They need to improve their consistency. Some parts are excellent, some not so good. I want to help out the other 90 guys who are buying the kits as well. This way we all benefit. Jim stands behind the stuff he sells. If you have a problem, the part will be fixed or replaced. If there is a problem, I will do all I can to help. Trust me, it will be made right for you.

Paul

Last edited by ogasman; 01-14-2008 at 03:01 AM..
Old 05-17-2007, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Paul,

I sent you a PM.

Skip
Old 05-19-2007, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks Skip

I have a guy lined up from a foundry. They are working out the details now. If it falls through, I will drop you a line.

Paul
Old 05-19-2007, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

So what would the SWAG be for a complete running engine? As if I really need to do something like this
Scott
Old 05-19-2007, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Price for complete motor

I will put together a price list tomorrow, but I think you could build a nice motor for about $16,000. That would be 480 cubic inch, 700+ streetable horsepower.

Paul
Old 05-21-2007, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

A guy on ebay has some really nice SOHC stuff.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...ntake-manifold

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Munro parts

The stuff looks pretty nice, but it is very spendy. It will cost you about $20,000 to get a similar kit. I heard from a reliable source they had some machining issues on the first run of parts, but have no first hand experience.

Paul
Old 05-24-2007, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     

Get the real deal, or don't do it at all.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dar says, "Get the real deal or don't do it at all."

How ironic is that, seeing that he's NOT driving the real deal. I needed that today - made me laugh!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     

Please........The Kirkham is just to display the engine. Not to mention, unlike Dove, Kirkham is noted by just about anybody who has ever seen one for there exceptional quality. That being said... good point, I am going to unplug my computer now.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Any progress on this project or is it dead
Old 07-29-2007, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Things are looking good

I was just at Dove's factory last weekend, picking up an intake. Things are progressing quite well. Jim had a rep in to help with the casting. They changed the bonding agent, glue, in the sand for the molds. They had raised the temperature of the aluminum to try to get it to fill the molds better, this caused the bondng agent to break down and contaminate the the castings. The rep also suggested changing some of the gateing on the molds. Gateing is where you pour the molten aluminum into the molds, and also were gases are vented. These changes have the molds filling better, and they have since been able to lower the temp of the aluminum. The rough castings are looking much better, they are working on sectioning a few to see how they look. I have some pictures, if someone could post them for me. I still haven't figured out an easy way to do it here.

Paul
Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogasman
I have some pictures, if someone could post them for me. I still haven't figured out an easy way to do it here.

Paul

Here's your first batch of pictures, Paul...

Last edited by computerworks; 07-29-2007 at 04:03 PM..
Old 07-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

More...

Old 07-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor