Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Two Engine failures from Southern Automotive

Has anyone else out there experienced two engine failures with new Southern Automotive 427's with less than 5 hours on each?

The first new "complete crate motor" that "had been run for three hours" at Southern would not even start. Once it did it ran for less than an hour before it had coolant in the oil.

The replacement motor was worse. It had not been run. Did not run well once reinstalled. Fit and finish were not what you would expect for the price paid and the valve assembly came apart due to a broken bolt while it was being dyno'd. It also leaked oil from day one through a one inch gap in the head gasket.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Southern? Who else should I have spoken with about a 427?

Last edited by Donald Campbell; 08-21-2008 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-21-2008, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

It might help if you could give us more information, when you bought the first engine, how you got the second engine, displacement, heads, cam, etc...

Eric
Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Donald,

I feel your pain and to be honest with Dean Lampe and I had a couple of 427's built by a man that had a very good reputation (not on this site ever) and both our engines melted down in less than 15 mins after they were ran in by his machine shop. What I am saying is everyone can have a problem and it is how they address the problem. A 1" gap huh?

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice first post. You might want to give a few more details in who you are, what the engines were for, what was ordered, what caused the failures??

First post slam with no details is a bit out of order.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

I have been told by several people who bought engines from Southern Automotive that they would never do it again. Shotty work and second hand or recondition parts were used that created all sorts of problems. Its too bad they come across as very nice people. I bought a stainless coolant tank from them that is 1st rate. Motor are a different story.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, everyone can have a problem without question! These are machines afterall!

I unfortunately had two in a row with the same engine builder and must say I am tired of the excuses and double talk. The two pro's that helped me salvage the second 427 and make it run, because Southern was in complete denial, couldn't believe that Southern was not standing behind their product. This is all documented I might add!

You would not believe the letter I received from Bill Parham stating how lucky I was that he replaced the first motor. It ran for less than one hour!!

We could not get the second "replacement motor" to run right, to say nothing of the oil leaking everywhere, so we took it up to a pro to run it on the dyno and try to figure out why it would not run. It came apart on the dyno! Southern wrote a really nasty letter and basically said it was all our fault because this had never happened before. They paid for a new bolt and push rods and that is it!!!!!!!

The worst thing is that while my second motor was out of commission for the month of July, after losing all of last summer to the first failed motor, Bill at Southern was bragging to me that he had resold the first motor and it was running great in some other guy's ERA Cobra!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

xlr8or,

You are completely right, and I apologize for being out of order ... but I would not want another guy who is building his dream car to have to go through what I did!

Is that not what this forum is about?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Campbell View Post
xlr8or,

You are completely right, and I apologize for being out of order ... but I would not want another guy who is building his dream car to have to go through what I did!

Is that not what this forum is about?
You are mad at Bill Parham, and that's not exactly the same thing. Better would have been to present all the facts in a detailed manner looking for help to resolve an obvious problem. We don't even know what kind of Cobra you are building It's not that no one will believe your problems, or doubts your pain. It's just that a first time poster on any forum gets little crediblity since no one knows you, or your normal demeanor.

This forum is home to people that enjoy these cars giving us a place to hang out and compare notes on what we like or don't like, use or don't use. Our experiances are important to help others make decisions.

I am sorry you have had problems with any aspect of your car build.

Eric
Old 08-21-2008, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes the forum is partly about that but a first post slam it typical of trolls just trying to stir up trouble. I am not doubting you had problems in any way and having all the information out there certainly helps the next guy.

If you have genuine issues with a builder and the facts to back it up there is a consumer watch forum here. There are two sides to every story and giving the other side a chance to respond is always a good thing.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Where are you located? I know a builder that will go through it, make it right, and dyno test here on the east coast.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Why would a person from Washington buy engine from Georgia???
Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
Same reason someone from CT would buy a engine block from AK.
Most of us go by the builders reps and words from others. I'm sure Donald heard good things about Mr P. As I have too in the past. But have also heard the same story about SA from others and the problems. Some fixed some not. I really don't see who and where you buy from has anything to do with where you live. JMO of course.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR428 View Post
Same reason someone from CT would buy a engine block from AK.
Most of us go by the builders reps and words from others. I'm sure Donald heard good things about Mr P. As I have too in the past. But have also heard the same story about SA from others and the problems. Some fixed some not. I really don't see who and where you buy from has anything to do with where you live. JMO of course.
Agreed. As I've stated before, there are engine assemblers and there are engine builders. I can give you nightmarish stories of what I've been through with engine assemblers in NJ. It's all about marketing.

Last edited by TButtrick; 08-22-2008 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post

I know 3 people that have Southern Automotive engines here in Wa. State. No problems have been reported. I suppose you've never bought anything out of state? That being said, I prefer to build my own engines. It's not rocket science. Well known builders are no better than anyone else that knows what they are doing.

Jim

Last edited by jwd; 08-21-2008 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick View Post
Agreed. As I've stated before, there are engine assemblers and there are engine builders. I've can give you nightmarish stories of what I've been through with engine assemblers in NJ. It's all about marketing.
Todd,
You should share your experience here in the Consumer Watch forum. No paid advertiser here to censor your experience.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I know 3 people that have Southern Automotive engines here in Wa. State. No problems have been reported. I suppose you've never bought anything out of state? That being said, I prefer to build my own engines. It's not rocket science. Well known builders are no better than anyone else that knows what they are doing.

Jim
+1 It would be a good idea not to take sides for or against anyone on this thread, instead see if through the facts there is some common ground between the OP and SA.

I'd rather see both parties settled than have a pro and con thread.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

Donald,

What did you have to do to get it running properly? What did you find when you disassembled the motor?

Morgan
Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Don Campbell

It always tickles me a bit when a brand new poster comes on and starts telling the rest of us what our Forum is for...and then go on to complain about bad service or parts on their first posts, and then wrap it in a "I'm just trying to help others."

Absolutely NOT how this forum will be used.

I would suggest you heed the suggestions others have given you. Yes, share a bad (or good) experience, but do so with a bit more information and do so in the proper forum. Sometimes best to tread a bit more softly when you're first joing up.

Thanks...enjoy the place and I hope you get your issues sorted out. Any questions about the Forum...let me know.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys! Just thought I'd share my experience with SA.

First of all, "a motor is just that.. a motor", anything can go wrong no matter how much you spend or who builds the darn thing. Now with that silly qoute here is my experience.

Number one, SA has one of the best selections of Ford motors and a very competitive pricing system.

In addition Bill and Susan Parham are very fine people and have willingly helped me with a few minor problems with my FE 428 engine.
I had a carb. leak..fixed with a brand new carb. I also experienced a broken push rod at about 4000 miles..a result of my bad adjustment. They sent me the parts for free and where very helpful to get it resolved.

In addition, I had numerous other questions during my cobra build and they provided good solid information and suggestions that made my experience a good one.

Things like minor oil leaks, water leaks and tuning are should be considered normal and are ususally are fixible with some effort. Some things are considered "part of the horse" when using an engine thats over forty years old.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible to get a bad motor, go through a lot of delay, and expense to get things right. I know from my experience that SA will stand behind their work and provide you with a good product.

Best of luck, Bill
Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I know 3 people that have Southern Automotive engines here in Wa. State. No problems have been reported.

Are those motors being raced or street driven, I think it makes a diffrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
It always tickles me a bit when a brand new poster comes on and starts telling the rest of us what our Forum is for...and then go on to complain about bad service or parts on their first posts, and then wrap it in a "I'm just trying to help others."

Absolutely NOT how this forum will be used.
Well, I've been posting for a while. I was at a local track event this year, and talking with some others, I heard that there was a track day at I think VIR, ? Superformance event, and there were 3-5 FE engines that went "south" (no pun intended) during that event, all built by Southern. Now whether that is true or not, I don't know. Worth checking out.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 08-22-2008 at 08:04 AM..
Closed Thread