Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Aluminum Flywheel

What do you think about using a aluminum flywheel on a health 428? what are the advantages and disadvantages? Jon
Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390 toploader IRS
Not Ranked     

Just bought one myself Jon.
Aluminum flywheel vs Steel and Clutch ?
Got it here for $250 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3612&viewitem=
02 Super Duty 7.3L

Last edited by convincor; 03-06-2009 at 03:28 AM..
Old 03-06-2009, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's a trade off

saltshaker Jon it's a trade off about physics. It's about stored energy and about the trade off of how fast you want the engine to spin up up. I stared with a 40 lb flywheel which is great for burnout and cruising a slow speeds. For racing you want the lightest and smallest setup you can get. You know that the rotating assembly,"flywheel, crank, rods, pistons, rings, spacer, and crank dampener ALL need to be together for the correct balancing of the motor. I am now running a 22 lb flywheel. The motor respond quicker with have less weight to spin up. It's ALL about APPLICATION of what you are going to do with the car. You can run an aluminum flywheel on the street without any problems. There is a metal ring attached either with rivets or bolts that can make it rebuildable. It's about matching up, the motor max output, weight of the car, and driviablity you are looking for. Most BB cobra run 11" or 11.5" stock or 1 step above stock clutches. They will last for years under normal driving and even a little showing off. After this you are looking at more expensive single purpose setups. Road racers use multi 6-8" disc clutches for racing. For big HP and torque on the street and have a lite clutch pedal you may want to look at a Street twim disc setup from Mcleod. What trans and motor are you looking to run?? What bellhousing are you looking at. There is alot more to this that just weight of the flywheel. Hope this helps a little. Rick L.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     

Jon,

An aluminum flywheel will be slightly more difficult to drive smoothly on the street. If your applications is mostly street driving and a few HPDE events I would stay with a steel flywheel. I recently switched to a 7.25" multi-disc clutch and button flywheel. The total weight of the clutch, flywheel and ring gear is 17.4lbs it is very difficult to start out with the light clutch and flywheel. Its like driving with a toggle switch for a clutch. Since my car is strickly a track car this is fine for me. Make your determination based on what your application is, the few hp that you are going to get back by going with a light weight flywheel in my opinion is not worth it for a street driven car...Just my opinion...Mac
Old 03-06-2009, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

On a lightweight car such as a Cobra, I would encourage it.

The only downside is the expense up front. Otherwise, you have less weight hanging off the back of the crank and it lets the engine rev more freely.

I had one on my Cobra with a 428 and it liked it just fine.

If you're looking for a good brand flywheel, shoot me an email. I sell RAM and McLeod. The RAM wheels are a little less expensive.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

I have not installed my alum flywheel yet. Got ARP bolts for it. Are any washers required to prevent digging into the aluminum?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

I think ARP says no washers.
Bill Stradtner
Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would lubricate the threads and under the cap especially without a washer.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Yep no washers. Locetite green on the threads. No oil, in fact rinse everything down with carb cleaner so the loctite actually works. Loctite red is way too miserable to get loose down the road.

Seems a little nuts but the flywheel bolts have an ovesized head and the aluminum is tougher than you'd think.

If I remember correctly Joe told me they use loctite blue on theirs with no problems.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

When I attached the aluminum flywheel I did not want the heads of the bolts (ARP) baring down on the bare aluminum. I obtained the metal ring that is used with a flexplate in and Automatic trans application, it's a pretty common piece. It has the 6 holes in a ring the diameter of the crank flange, and distributes the clamping force a little more evenly IMO. It is made of a semi hardened material. Red Loctite all the way. No regrets.

Ronbo...The Green Loctite is for small diameter fasteners to be "Wicked" into the threads after assembly. It's not a high strength thread locker.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 04-14-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
Ronbo...The Green Loctite is for small diameter fasteners to be "Wicked" into the threads after assembly. It's not a high strength thread locker.
Huh, I didn't even know there was such a thing as "Green Loctite." This just might be the first post where I actually learned something from this forum.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I have been running an aluminium flywheel for about 6 years and I have no complaints. Take off's on the street are predictable and then when we do get on the track it spins up as you would want it to. I recommend it but as Brent said the $400 - $500 is the initial kicker.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

I would agree with blykin , it was the right thing to do on my 428 . It spools up quick and I,m using a Center Force Clutch and I could not ask it to work any better.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbrown View Post
I would agree with blykin , it was the right thing to do on my 428 . It spools up quick and I,m using a Center Force Clutch and I could not ask it to work any better.
My feelings exactly. I have the Centerforce aluminum flywheel, clutch & PP. I have no idea why the aluminum flywheel costs $750. The ones that cost half that much are undoubtedly just as good. It was probably just a waste of money.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ouch. For just the flywheel?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Ouch. For just the flywheel?
Yes, and I just double checked the Centerforce site thirty seconds ago. $749.50 for the 427 (because my 428 is internally balanced) flywheel. I can't think of any reason they charge that kind of money for a flywheel unless they figure that the purchaser has more money than brains.

EDIT -- I did get a cool Centerforce sticker with it though.

Last edited by patrickt; 04-15-2009 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Remembered the cool sticker
Old 04-15-2009, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
The equivilent McLeod is $489.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Clearly the McLeod option is for people with more brains.... If I was building my FE today, that's what I'd go with.

EDIT -- Wait a minute, does it come with a sticker?

Last edited by patrickt; 04-15-2009 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Still coveting that sticker...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, shameless plug here....

I sell RAM's aluminum flywheel (SFI rated) for $440. It's internally balanced.

I can also get those for you 428 guys at the same price. And I can get stickers.

Last edited by blykins; 04-15-2009 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Edited for those of you who are covetous.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
OK, shameless plug here....

I sell RAM's aluminum flywheel (SFI rated) for $440. It's internally balanced.

I can also get those for you 428 guys at the same price. And I can get stickers.
Aside from a pound or two here and there, is there any real difference in the quality of the various aluminum flywheels for the FE?