Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Big cubic inch FEs with a lot of stroke are not go survive for long running above 6K RPM frequently, especially if it's with a heavy scat rotating assembly. It's above 6 grand where a mechanical roller shines, exactly where a stroked FE shouldn't go. Fo a race car, one that takes life 1/4 mile at a time, that might not be a bad thing. For a street driven Cobra, not a good thing.

Oh, ..YES, you can get that lumpy idle with a hydraulic roller. Sometimes it's even lumpier than a similar spec'd flat tappet due to the roller's faster ramp speeds.

Kev, I don't think your targeted solid roller cam's duration is 320 @ 0.050. The 320's probably the "advertised" duration spec. Streetability is entirely gone by 280 @ 0.050".
Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, but can you get a sound that makes people ask you "is that the way your engine is supposed to sound?"
It's quite a lovely sound to me. Exquisitely lumpy. Does it sound like my valves need to be adjusted or an exhaust leak? No.

I had a 427/425 (LS6 actually, but same cam) in my Vette and it sounds reasonably close to my ears.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
It's quite a lovely sound to me. Exquisitely lumpy. Does it sound like my valves need to be adjusted or an exhaust leak? No.

I had a 427/425 (LS6 actually, but same cam) in my Vette and it sounds reasonably close to my ears.
You should post an audio file. I'd like to hear it.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You should post an audio file. I'd like to hear it.
I should be out in the driveway polishing the aluminum, but alas, not enough time.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I'de say,....... HELL YEAH !
Music to my ears.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Check out this link from Comp cams about lifters & rockers.

"All models feature EDM Oil Injection"

http://www.compcams.com/technical/FAQ/FAQLifters.asp

http://www.compcams.com/technical/FAQ/FAQLifters.asp

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Code=FELifters

STEVE- I hope this information is what you want ?
I'm also thinking of a mechanical roller so this is why I'm adding to your post. Let me know if I should start my own post !

Last edited by FUNFER2; 03-21-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Old 03-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
"All models feature EDM Oil Injection"
As I recall, that means "all models EXCEPT Ford FE." If I'm wrong on that I'm sure someone will post a link.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This page show the Endure-X™ Solid Roller Lifter; Ford (V8 352-428) Solid-Oil Band
PART #839-16

Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
This page show the Endure-X™ Solid Roller Lifter; Ford (V8 352-428) Solid-Oil Band
PART #839-16

That's not the same thing. Click on this link and see that they have it for the other size Ford stuff, but not the FE. They clearly tout the EDM when it applies:
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=
Old 03-21-2010, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What does this mean then ? "Solid-Oil Band"

Endure-X™ Solid Roller Lifter; Ford (V8 352-428) Solid-Oil Band
PART #839-16
Old 03-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

The cam type vs. engine type discussion is why I chose a hyd roller. As the owner of a couple of Boss 302s I know a little about revving and I love the tic tic tic sound of a solid cam as well. But the 3" stroke of a Boss is NOTHING like the 4.5" stroke of a big inch FE. Hell, my Boss heads flow as much as my ported Ebock FE heads and they feed 160ci less displacement. This being my first FE, I did allot of reading before I made my choices and all talk of zinging FEs into the 7k+ rpm range on a regular basis should just stop unless it's drag racing only. What were the GT40MkIIs turning down the Mulsanne straight? 5800 rpm or so? And that was with a stock stroke 427. Why on earth would you try to rap out a stroker FE? That being said; without that high rpm (7k+) the need for a solid cam is gone, from an operational perspective that is, and your left with the "I like solids!" argument without any other reason than "it sounds cool." Don't get me wrong, in the world of replicas that is a valid argument/desire; just don't confuse it with an engine requirement.

Steve
Old 03-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
What does this mean then ? "Solid-Oil Band"

Endure-X™ Solid Roller Lifter; Ford (V8 352-428) Solid-Oil Band
PART #839-16
I'm not exactly sure what a "Solid Oil Band" is other than what they say in their literature (that it controls oil flow), but it is clearly not the same as the EDM oiling holes. Their Elite Series does not have the solid oil band, and they brag about the advantages of that, but it does have the EDM oil holes. You can read about that here: http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...2010/PDF/7.pdf
Old 03-21-2010, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, this is quoated from the site. But, pay special attention to the

"SPECIAL NOTE" at the bottom. That now concerns me, very much.

COMP Cams® Solid Roller Lifters
Endure-X™ Solid Roller Lifters are fully heat-treated, machined to ultra-high tolerances and fully rebuildable.

All models feature EDM Oil Injection™ technology, which ensures that the roller bearing assembly receives a constant flow of pressurized oil. This virtually eliminates needle bearing oil starvation, historically a “problem area” for all solid roller lifters when used in low rpm and street applications.

COMP Cams® Super Roller Lifters are available for a variety of applications, including small base circle camshaft and offset pushrod seat configurations.

Endure-X™ Solid Roller Lifter Features

1. Patented link bar assembly combines the benefits of a removable link bar with the safety of a captured link bar.

2. EDM Oil Injection™guarantees that the bearing assembly receives a constant flow of pressurized oil via a precision hole aimed directly at the needle bearings.

3. Precision Sorted Bearings -distribute loads evenly, preventing premature wear and failure.

4. Tool Steel Axle -prolongs the life of the roller assembly, particularly in high rpm applications.

Special Note: Solid roller lifters are designed for use in racing applications; however if used in street applications precautions should be taken to avoid excessive idling and certain engine builder modifications are required. Low RPM usage may result in a lack of lubrication from windage, premature wear and ultimately extensive engine damage.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, you mean that "extensive engine damage" thing? Five years ago when I was spec'ing out my engine we were still having exactly the same discussion on solid rollers for an FE. There had been a couple examples of the rollers coming apart, and a couple examples of the distributor gear eat-up. I went with the old SFT set up because (once you break it in) it will outlast you and you don't have to do anything with them except lash them every year or so. I had thought the two solid roller issues had kind of gone away, but I think the truth of the matter is there just hasn't been enough time to really be sure.

Last edited by patrickt; 03-21-2010 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 03-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Special Note: Solid roller lifters are designed for use in racing applications; however if used in street applications precautions should be taken to avoid excessive idling and certain engine builder modifications are required. Low RPM usage may result in a lack of lubrication from windage, premature wear and ultimately extensive engine damage.
Well that pretty much says it all right there. There have been no significant advances with "long life" in the solid roller category. Same now as it was years ago, use on the street as your own risk.

Quote:
...your left with the "I like solids!" argument without any other reason than "it sounds cool."
You left out the WAY LESS expensive part of the argument. You can do a flat tappet for a fraction of the cost of a real quality hydraulic setup. For some of us, THAT is a very valid reason indeed!

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-21-2010 at 03:23 PM..
Old 03-21-2010, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After seeing this tid nit of information from Comp Cams, I may even stick with the solid flat tappet type, that I have in my 428. I've never had a problem with them, and after the first year of checking the lash 4 times through the season, I just relief the spring pressure for winter and then only needing lashed once per year now. If I raced my cobra periodically, I would lash before & after. Other than that, no worries.

(damn,... I really like the sound of a solid roller"
Old 03-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If your valve train geometry is setup correctly in the first place there is really very little need to adjust mechanical valves. IF they need adjustment frequently something is wrong, something is wearing out, something is getting ready to let go!

You should be able to "set it and forget it" essentially.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Kevin...me thinks you're making a smart move. Paddy and Oinie have pretty well set forth the situation, and I have posted here numerous times about living with bronze gears and the perfect cutting toll which a solid roller becomes once it has shed it's needle.

Rick will tell you that he continues to experience the new compounds for distributor gears, and maybe the time is coming. But me personally thinks it ain't quite here yet.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excaliber- I agree, I set them in the spring and that's it unless I've been running the motor hard, even then they haven't loosened much to really worry.

Jamo-Yep, I just don't trust them yet, especially with a very expensive aluminum block.

Good news,.....the sale on my engine is pending payment ! WOO-HOO !!!
Side oiler,..... here, I come !

(can you sence I'm excited) lol
Old 03-21-2010, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
You left out the WAY LESS expensive part of the argument.
That argument might wash if we were exchanging thoughts on, say.. a Nissan Sentra forum, where the vehicles we're discussing are the ones that we rely heavily on for our very day-to-day existence. The very nature of our sport somewhat reeks of self indulgence with a dash of exorbitance. Not a darn thing wrong with that 'cause I are one 2...

Asside from that... Don't forget about the possibility of an engine that's forever "prescription drug" addicted to Zinc additives, not to mention forever living in fear of a dead cylinder miss with thousands of pretty shiny flakes in your oil. There seems to be more and more talk about wiped cams, well after the break-in period these days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: