Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
You won't go wrong with a Hurricane. High quality kit for sure. Some Cobra replica bodies are molded from original cars and some are not. Hurricane bodies were molded from CSX3235 and that's what gives it it's "vintage" look.
Larry
All of the above, plus the fact that you live in Iowa, would make Hurricane a slam-dunk choice, if I were in your shoes...

I can't think of a single, solid technical reason why you would be better off paying transportation on another company's kit - The cash you'll save on shipping will pay for half of your paint job, or maybe your wheels and tires...
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
So... you are an outlier?

Good to meet you, then.

The funny thing about stereotypes is that they are mostly accurate. And if they don't apply to you, why choose to put on the shoe if it doesn't fit? How can someone stereotype someone else, if they don't fit the stereotype?

Cars tend to reflect, accurately, their owners. Emphasis on "tend". That means not all, but most.

My best friend drives an "M" BMW. She doesn't fit the BMW "image" at all, but that doesn't mean BMWs don't attract a certain "type" of owner.

BTW, I don't Crossfit any more because I have structural problems which makes it problematic. Doesn't stop me from being a good old gym rat, though.
Ya, "outlier," that's a nice way putting it. My friends and family typically use more unsavory terms to describe me.

Isn't there an old joke about BMW's and porcupines?

That's what great about CrossFit, "we" can scale a program for anyone. I've even seen "old as dirt" and "big gut" kinda folks in the Box. However, it always comes down to one word. Commitment.

Back to Hurricane. Good looking Cobra. Great choice from what I've seen and heard. But it's "a road less-traveled" for some unknown (to me) reason. Make sure you're able to drive a few Cobras. You wouldn't be the first to buy one and then quickly sell it because it wasn't the car you thought it would be. Most people skip this step and just buy the Z06 Corvette.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
All of the above, plus the fact that you live in Iowa, would make Hurricane a slam-dunk choice, if I were in your shoes...

I can't think of a single, solid technical reason why you would be better off paying transportation on another company's kit - The cash you'll save on shipping will pay for half of your paint job, or maybe your wheels and tires...
If we're talking about technical reasons, then Patrick would argue that the ERA comes with an extensive factory assembly manual. Aluminum? Then Kirkham/CSX.

BTW, I've transported several cars over the past years, and transportation cost from coast-to-coast is about $1,000-$1,500. That may buy you the blue and white paint, but that's about it. However, having the factory that makes your Cobra replica nearby is a significant advantage. No doubt. I wish Kirkham wasn't in UT. I'd be visiting them all the time, if they were closer.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
If we're talking about technical reasons, then Patrick would argue that the ERA comes with an extensive factory assembly manual. Aluminum? Then Kirkham/CSX.
Yep, and Patrick would be right. The ERA blows them all away in that regard....
Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've transported several cars over the past years, and transportation cost from coast-to-coast is about $1,000-$1,500.
In late September, 2016, The best quote I could get to move a "starting and driving" car from St Louis to Phoenix, in a fully enclosed hauler, was $1800 ...

The next time I need a car transported, I'm going to be calling on you to book my waybill for me, hahaha

Every shipper asked me: "is it a kit car?" and "does it have an engine?" - They all wanted to jack the transport rate up another 500-600 bucks if the car was a non-running roller.

My best quote to get a bare fiberglass Mr Bruce body from Pittsburgh to Phoenix was $1200

Fair points about the aluminum body...

Is it worth it to pay the extra shipping on an ERA kit, versus a Hurricane or a Unique? To an ERA owner, I guess it could be... but not to me...

to each, his own. There really are no right or wrong answers to any of this - Everybody makes their final decision based on the criteria that are most important to them...

I wouldn't need ERA's detailed assembly bible to put one of these cars together, so the extra shipping expense from CT would influence my personal decision more heavily than the value of the assembly manual.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
In late September, 2016, The best quote I could get to move a "starting and driving" car from St Louis to Phoenix, in a fully enclosed hauler, was $1800 ...

The next time I need a car transported, I'm going to be calling on you to book my waybill for me, hahaha

Every shipper asked me: "is it a kit car?" and "does it have an engine?" - They all wanted to jack the transport rate up another 500-600 bucks if the car was a non-running roller.

My best quote to get a bare fiberglass Mr Bruce body from Pittsburgh to Phoenix was $1200

Fair points about the aluminum body...

Is it worth it to pay the extra shipping on an ERA kit, versus a Hurricane or a Unique? To an ERA owner, I guess it could be... but not to me...

to each, his own. There really are no right or wrong answers to any of this - Everybody makes their final decision based on the criteria that are most important to them...

I wouldn't need ERA's detailed assembly bible to put one of these cars together, so the extra shipping expense from CT would influence my personal decision more heavily than the value of the assembly manual.
I've used this broker at least 3 times in the past few years. I haven't had a problem yet and they book enclosed or open. I've done both.

Angels Moving Autos

I know my engine-less Kirkham was less than a $1,000 from UT to CA, but that was back in 2007-2008. That company went out of business, but was an advertiser here.

Patrick LOVES his ERA assembly manual. He opines about it all the time. He won't leave home without it.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrick LOVES his ERA assembly manual. He opines about it all the time. He won't leave home without it.
200 pages of pure gold. And I've been harping for a decade now on why other manufacturers can't produce a detailed service manual. All the "real car" manufacturers do. Even KMS started writing one, and then gave up when it was about half way done. To do a really quality job on a service manual, you pretty much need a mechanical engineer, who is tech savvy, that is dedicated to doing nothing but it -- and that's just too expensive.
120mm likes this.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
200 pages of pure gold. And I've been harping for a decade now on why other manufacturers can't produce a detailed service manual. All the "real car" manufacturers do. Even KMS started writing one, and then gave up when it was about half way done. To do a really quality job on a service manual, you pretty much need a mechanical engineer, who is tech savvy, that is dedicated to doing nothing but it -- and that's just too expensive.
However, while not a service manual, there's this 300-page +/- book, which the Kirkham's put together when they built the Billet Cobra for Larry Ellison. It's online here:

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/book_aoe/aoe_00.pdf
Old 01-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
However, while not a service manual, there's this 300-page +/- book, which the Kirkham's put together when they built the Billet Cobra for Larry Ellison. It's online here:

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/book_aoe/aoe_00.pdf
Yes, but after you've read it once, or maybe twice, and gotten tired of seeing it on your coffee table, then you wish you had a plain ol' service manual.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, but after you've read it once, or maybe twice, and gotten tired of seeing it on your coffee table, then you wish you had a plain ol' service manual.
Is ERA's manual online? The Kirkham manual is. So, just print it out and you'll have a complete "plain ol' assembly manual of the Kirkham Cobra.

Just stop saying the Kirkham's never completed a manual. They did.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Is ERA's manual online? The Kirkham manual is. So, just print it out and you'll have a complete "plain ol' assembly manual of the Kirkham Cobra.

Just stop saying the Kirkham's never completed a manual. They did.
Yes, there's an entire secret "Owners Only" section of the site. Tons of stuff, tips, manuals, pics, write-ups, and even insights in to how Nancy P. keeps getting elected. You know, the whole enchilada.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, there's an entire secret "Owners Only" section of the site. Tons of stuff, tips, manuals, pics, write-ups, and even insights in to how Nancy P. keeps getting elected. You know, the whole enchilada.
The Kirkham's are more of an "open source" or "transparent" company. No secret handshake type stuff from UT.

FYI, Nancy isn't my Congressional Representative. Mine is Anna and she keeps getting elected too.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The Kirkham's are more of an "open source" or "transparent" company. No secret handshake type stuff from UT.

FYI, Nancy isn't my Congressional Representative. Mine is Anna and she keeps getting elected too.
Anna Nicole Smith? Dang, I didn't know she was still even alive.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

She was spotted topless on a pontoon boat down here with JFK and Don Aronow just the other day.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ya, "outlier," that's a nice way putting it. My friends and family typically use more unsavory terms to describe me.

Isn't there an old joke about BMW's and porcupines?
We'd get along, then.

Quote:
That's what great about CrossFit, "we" can scale a program for anyone. I've even seen "old as dirt" and "big gut" kinda folks in the Box. However, it always comes down to one word. Commitment.
Both my best friends are Crossfit chicks. One is a serious Crossfitter and the other is married to an owner. I did it for a couple years, discovered I had two broken vertebrate and decided my "commitment" didn't involve dying/being quadded out, because 70% of the exercises involve my spondylosis. I cannot even safely use a rowing machine. I can get nearly as much juice for the squeeze through exercises that do not, so cost/benefit went to traditional weight training. That, and I'm pretty anti-social normally, and the cheering and encouragement and attention really turns me off. But for people without potential spinal issues, Crossfit is the heat.

Quote:
Back to Hurricane. Good looking Cobra. Great choice from what I've seen and heard. But it's "a road less-traveled" for some unknown (to me) reason. Make sure you're able to drive a few Cobras. You wouldn't be the first to buy one and then quickly sell it because it wasn't the car you thought it would be. Most people skip this step and just buy the Z06 Corvette.
Hurricane doesn't do anywhere near as much self-promotion as Factory Five, ERA and it isn't at the price point level as Superformance, plus it transferred ownership not that long ago, plus they had an intermediate owner who didn't make a car. Plus there is the whole, "factory in the most rural part of Iowa" thing.

BTW, NW Iowa has pretty low wages, yet people there are very highly educated, skilled and possess an unreal work ethic. This is kind of a "perfect storm" for something like a Cobra replica company.

I grew up racing solid frame, chain driven carts and Series I Mustangs on dirt. At work, I drive something equally uncomfortable, often armored, and usually with guns on it. When I'm stateside, I daily drive a 67 Mustang convertible with a very stiff suspension, and it just isn't "enough" to scratch my itch. I'm afraid I'd fall asleep in a modern performance car.

My wife is getting tired of being a geographical war widow. I am an adrenaline junkie. This car will be my replacement therapy because at 53, I've been doing this crap for 35 years, and I need to pay some attention to her.

I'm hoping my cobra build will be too hot in the summer, too cold any other time, too loud, hard riding and dangerous under power and in corners. Hopefully I won't be disappointed....

Last edited by 120mm; 01-10-2017 at 10:32 PM..
Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
I'm hoping my cobra build will be too hot in the summer, too cold any other time, too loud, hard riding and dangerous under power and in corners. Hopefully I won't be disappointed....
OK then. No future questions about heated seats, tops, cup holders, A/C, PS, stereo, etc.

As Buzz said earlier, Dean Lampe builds the best, at least a couple of RCR GT40's, 289 FIA Kirkham and a Hurricane. Do a search on his Hurricane build and that should give you a helluva lot of info on their Cobra.
120mm likes this.

Last edited by RodKnock; 01-11-2017 at 09:08 AM..
Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Quote:
OK then. No future questions about heated seats, tops, cup holders, A/C, PS, stereo, etc.
Cobras already come with stereo, don't they? Twin pipes spreading FE goodness.

Quote:
As Buzz sad earlier, Dean Lampe builds the best, at least a couple of RCR GT40's, 289 FIA Kirkham and a Hurricane. Do a search on his Hurricane build and that should give you a helluva lot of info on their Cobra.
Will do, forthwith. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-11-2017, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

With two broken vertebrae, you might want to try getting into and out of a cobra before purchasing one. Not sure how much your range of motion is limited. They are not the easiest thing to get into and out of. You do not need to be a gymnast, but they do sit low and are a little cramped inside.

As I was reading your post regarding you being an adrenaline junkie, it made me thin that you are a prime candidate for vintage racing. After a race I am on an adrenaline high for about three days. However, before you considered going that route I would download the medical form for a vintage racing organization, such as SVRA, and take it to your physician to see if they would sign off on it given the two fractured vertebrae.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

just to add to the discussion:

I will be 56 years old in 4 weeks, and I've been a crossfitter for 4 years and never felt better in my life.

Athlete: Bobby Worley | CrossFit Games

oh, and I'm also building a Hurricane Cobra
MFE III, RodKnock and 120mm like this.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
With two broken vertebrae, you might want to try getting into and out of a cobra before purchasing one. Not sure how much your range of motion is limited. They are not the easiest thing to get into and out of. You do not need to be a gymnast, but they do sit low and are a little cramped inside.

As I was reading your post regarding you being an adrenaline junkie, it made me thin that you are a prime candidate for vintage racing. After a race I am on an adrenaline high for about three days. However, before you considered going that route I would download the medical form for a vintage racing organization, such as SVRA, and take it to your physician to see if they would sign off on it given the two fractured vertebrae.

Good luck in your quest.
Your post reminded me of a thread of a few months ago, where a CC member (Luke427) that started a thread about driving his Cobra with a bad back and asking us whether it was time to sell it or find a way to modify his Cobra so he could continue to use it:

Can't drive my Cobra because of my health, any advice??

The OP should read this thread, assuming his back is in similar condition.
120mm likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: