Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Hurricane Motorsports

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     
Default Referred to Hurricane by a friend

I just got turned on to building a Hurricane. I am a proud Iowan and didn't even know we had a Cobra kit manufacturer in the state, much less in Lake City.

I'm originally a Newell kid, btw.

I'm currently living in Germany, where I work, and the plan was to build a Cobra starting a year from now, once I get back to Iowa.

Since I've discovered Hurricane like 2 hours ago, I notice that the Hurricane replicas actually look like vintage Cobras and not some huge fender flared, bulbous fendered silicone drenched mockery that too many kits make of the original design.

Plus, the prices look good, for what they say is in the kit.

I really hope to buy a kit when I get home. Gotta break the piggy banks and sell some stuff, first, though.

Last edited by 120mm; 04-03-2018 at 06:19 AM..
Old 01-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Blue66 and kevins2 like this.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
Since I've discovered Hurricane like 2 hours ago, I notice that the Hurricane replicas actually look like vintage Cobras and not some huge fender flared, bulbous fendered silicone drenched mockery that too many kits make of the original design.
Welcome to the forum and the madness. Unfortunately, you just potentially gored the goat of the majority of members on the forum with this characterization. The Cobra replica community fills many needs from those seeking to clone the original in spirit and detail, to those who want a powerful track car, to those who are fulfilling a street rod itch based on one of the most popular cars of all time - and everything in between. In building one of these replica cars, you will probably need some input from all of them and not just Hurricane owners which are a relatively small community in our city.

The Hurricane is a nice kit. It was my leading choice until they fell on some hard times about 8 years ago and while they were in the process of changing hands, relocating and re-building I was ready to make the jump so I had to change direction. But I think you will be pleased with it - post some progress photos when you get started.
Dwight, Ron61 and FuzzyDiceRide like this.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

He's baaaaaaaaaack!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

His post is in the Hurricane forum not in the all talk sections. I understand what he is saying. That's why I wanted a Hurricane too.

Good luck on your build.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You won't go wrong with a Hurricane. High quality kit for sure. Some Cobra replica bodies are molded from original cars and some are not. Hurricane bodies were molded from CSX3235 and that's what gives it it's "vintage" look.
Larry
FuzzyDiceRide, moore_rb and 120mm like this.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

A Question? Did the Hurricane Cobra start out as Integrity Coach Works Cobra? Or a derivative of it?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
A Question? Did the Hurricane Cobra start out as Integrity Coach Works Cobra? Or a derivative of it?
No, it was called Component Craft and started by Jerry Connelly in Dallas. The molds were pulled from an original car as stated above. There is a TON of history here that I helped research when I owned my Hurricane but I won't go into all of it here. Jerry built and delivered quite a few cars and kits before moving on. The tools and molds were sold to a couple of guys who created Hurricane and sold 100+ cars, of which I owned the 6th they produced. Later the tools and molds fell into the hands of some banditos briefly but they never finished a single car. Then the current owners in Iowa bought it, overhauled the molds and jigs and the rest is history. Its an awesome product for the price and very authentic.

Here is one of Jerry's cars in the 1997 Neiman Marcus catalogue.

FuzzyDiceRide likes this.

Last edited by elmariachi; 01-07-2016 at 09:42 PM..
Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Here was #6 back at the 2011 (I think) Texas Cobra meet:

LMH, Bill D, 120mm and 1 others like this.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Welcome to the forum and the madness. Unfortunately, you just potentially gored the goat of the majority of members on the forum with this characterization. The Cobra replica community fills many needs from those seeking to clone the original in spirit and detail, to those who want a powerful track car, to those who are fulfilling a street rod itch based on one of the most popular cars of all time - and everything in between. In building one of these replica cars, you will probably need some input from all of them and not just Hurricane owners which are a relatively small community in our city.
Meh. I guess they could ban me if they don't like such representations.

I COULD have said I don't qualify for Cobra ownership, since I'm not old as dirt, have a big gut, don't wear hawaiian shirts, flip flops or those gay looking poker visors like every single cobra replica owner I've personally seen.

Frankly, I don't GAS what stereotypical "owners" think. I'm more interested in the outliers, anyway.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I COULD have said I don't qualify for Cobra ownership, since I'm not old as dirt, have a big gut, don't wear hawaiian shirts, flip flops or those gay looking poker visors like every single cobra replica owner I've personally seen.

Frankly, I don't GAS what stereotypical "owners" think. I'm more interested in the outliers, anyway.
That sounds more like the Corvette crowd.
Larry
RodKnock and moore_rb like this.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Hey, I resemble that remark! And not all of us wear flip flops!

Does Evan have a son?
FuzzyDiceRide and RodKnock like this.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Hurricane is not what happened to Integrity Coach Werks, that became Hunter Cobra. You can find anything on the internet.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM-2016. 427W, TKO600, 3.50
Not Ranked     

I'll vouch for Hurricane. I recently made the trip to Lake City, IA and met Mike, John, Jason and Monty. They showed me the Hurricane shop, jigs, molds and of course the car and they also let me drive. I will say (in my opinion) that the Hurricane is a very complete, very high quality kit that is solid, roomy, authentic, fast AND loud. I have never seen such a smooth fiberglass body. It's straight, non-wavy, and the mold-lines are in inconspicuous places which makes body work a breeze. Also, the doors line up easily. A huge plus. The customer service has been fabulous to date. I will say that Mike, who owns and operates Scranton MFG (Garbage truck manufacturing) is 100% behind the company. Scranton is a very successful manufacturing company which has multiple business lines from garbage trucks to portable veterinarian clinics for F-250's and they also happen to own Hurricane. I think they are definitely worth looking at if you are in the market for a Cobra replica.
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aaand, I will be heading back to the land of round doorknobs and will be checking out Hurricane sometime near the end of January. I'm guessing a test drive won't happen, but I look forward to seeing what they do and how they do it.

Spousal approval has happened, and after 2017, which I've been invited to spend in Afghanistan, I will be able to build the thing.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Hurricane definitely produces a nice replica that's a real bang for the buck. Dean Lampe's early build was a real looker - right up there with some of the sexiest 'glass-bodied cars posted on this site.

As far as original appearance goes, I'm also not a huge fan of the liberties taken by some manufacturers who, to me, stylize their body shapes in ways that detract from the purposeful functionality that forms the essence of the original Cobra's enduring beauty.

I'm sure that some have been put off by my commentary on occasion, but my opinion is only my own and I don't place it above that of anyone else, much less feel the need to denigrate and insult an entire community of generally helpful and capable enthusiasts whose only "crime" is that they enjoy the same car that I do in a slightly different way.

Having a body splashed from an original helps, but it isn't a guarantee of exact original appearance of the final product, as the orientation and fitment of the new body pieces over a purpose-built frame and suspension, as well as the ride height and placement of wheels within fender wells all have a cumulative effect.

Hurricanes are close and get many things right, but there is a distinctive arch in the body from the front of the rear fender down to the tip of the nose that makes them very recognizable, especially when viewed from the side. This doesn't greatly detract from the looks, but it is a characteristic of the brand.

Anyway - body shape is one of my favorite topics of discussion, and I do like Hurricanes so this is my 2 cents worth and nothing more.

As you were...
120mm likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You say it better than I do, that is for sure.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

That's my next car. Absolutely
MFE III, moore_rb and 120mm like this.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark! And not all of us wear flip flops!

Does Evan have a son?
Why insult Evan like that? I'd say he's the "spittin' image" of NYG.

I love being stereotyped. Now I could go into a long dissertation and praise CrossFit and ask the OP how many Muscleups and Handstand Push-ups he can do, or what's his best "Fran" time, but I won't bore you guys (and gals) again.

Do Kirkhams make a mockery of the original? Notwithstanding, I love my mockery of a Cobra.

And what's wrong with flip flops? It's CA for heaven's sake.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So... you are an outlier?

Good to meet you, then.

The funny thing about stereotypes is that they are mostly accurate. And if they don't apply to you, why choose to put on the shoe if it doesn't fit? How can someone stereotype someone else, if they don't fit the stereotype?

Cars tend to reflect, accurately, their owners. Emphasis on "tend". That means not all, but most.

My best friend drives an "M" BMW. She doesn't fit the BMW "image" at all, but that doesn't mean BMWs don't attract a certain "type" of owner.

BTW, I don't Crossfit any more because I have structural problems which makes it problematic. Doesn't stop me from being a good old gym rat, though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: