Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Keith Craft Racing

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-17-2005, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile Keith Craft 331 Quicker than original Cobra!

Keith,

I just wanted to say thank you very much for the 331 you just built me! (stroked 302).

I just drove it and I actually feel like your 331 is FASTER than an orignal 427 Cobra. I could not believe it. What secret parts are you hiding inside that engine!?!?!

Cheap power, nice sound, great running, no problems. I can not tell you how many of our customers have had problem over the years with their engine builders. My experience with you has been a relief. The engine fired up on the first revoloution of the crank. I have never had an engine fire so easily and run so smoothly.

Unfortunately, I was not able to use the engine as planned in my own car as a customer blew his 302 up a few weeks ago. He sent the car to us for repair. He will NOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE IN HIS CAR! Heck, I could not believe the difference.

Thanks! Oh yes, Keith Craft delivered the engine in 3 weeks--1 week earlier than promised!

David

ps. please make me another 331. I have an employee who just changed his mind and no longer wants a 427. I can't say that I blame him!
"Fear is the thief of dreams."

Last edited by David Kirkham; 07-17-2005 at 06:40 PM..
Old 07-18-2005, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Keith, I was talking to Tony about motors and he told me that you had a problem getting headers to work with some Blue Thunder heads, I was wondering what the problem was. I have some Dove ALuminum Heads that I was going to use on my next motor, There suposed to be pretty close to the Ford Hi Riser heads.
Im thinking of using TWM induction and Tony said you just finished a motor using that system and made over 700 hp, Can you give me an idea what heads/cam you used with it? Also what computor did you guys use? I want to get it all laid out in my head beforfe I build the next motor. Thanks Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

My 427 isn't even finished and I already want a SB slab side next to it. Sounds like a fun car.

I'm no expert.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP, Keith Craft
Not Ranked     

Lew:

Actually, the car that David mentioned (mine!) is a 427 body and coil spring chassis built to more or less emulate the AC 289 Sports that AC made in small quantity in 1966-67 after Shelby stopped buying AC rollers. It's what Shelby would have called a street car, i.e., no rollbar, no hood scoop, underbody exhaust, no lips on the rear fenders, but with a small block. With a light motor and the Kirkham weight reduction program applied wherever possible, it came out at about 2050 lbs. As David has implied, a small block with modern technology can mean something very different from a small block in 1967. If I recall the dyno sheet correctly, torque peaks at about 420 ft/lbs and HP at 456. More than adequate to have some fun, eh?

Of course, all the credit goes to David and the Kirkham crew for caring enough to get it right.

David
Old 07-18-2005, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

That sounds great. How is the ground clearance with the under-body exhaust? One of the reasons that I chose a 427 over the FIA was that it looked like the FIA pipes were a lot closer to the ground than the 427 pipes (under body rather than through the body). What size tires?

I think that this is all leading in a direction that my wife will not like.

I'm no expert.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP, Keith Craft
Not Ranked     

I can't measure the clearance just now because the car is vacationing in sunny Provo. I haven't had any problems, though. I've never thought that it ought to be a waxer (OK, it's brushed ally but use your imagination) and I drive it around for fun, including taking the back roads to work. A few times, I've had a sinking feeling when going over curb cuts and similar irregularities but I've never hit. I might go aroung a really big speed bump in a parking lot if I were to see one coming. Remember that this car has as much ground clearance as over 300 of the original, vintage 427s and I haven't read anything about any general tendency of those cars to scrape their exhaust systems on obstacles.

The pipes and mufflers are tucked up against the chassis and well inboard. The pipes turn out in front of the rear tires, kind of like an FIA except that the pipes aren't easily seen from the side.

The wheels are the usual 9.5 rear and 7.5 front with Yokohama Avid tires, which are supposed to be well-suited to street use.

If it makes you feel any better, my wife isn't all that enthusiastic either but marital harmony hasn't been adversely affected. Of course, I haven't mentioned to her the extravagent safety offered by .060" of side impact protection .

David
Old 07-18-2005, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Michael the problem with the Blue Thunder head on the exhaust is that it is raised about .500 above stock. I had thought about using them on my Kirkham but after talking to Rob at the other store he said the headers from Kirkham were real close as it was. He told me with the header being raised he did not think that they would ever fit. If a guy is doing his own custom header I do not see a problem. We have a nice CNC program on these heads that flow great up to .600 lift which would work great for most street strip applications.
The TWm engine that we did was 510C.I. and was a customers engine that he had some problems with from somewhere else. He had Edelbrock heads that someone called them selves porting. We did Stage 3 porting on the heads and fixed the valve job along with a few other things the engine needed. The camshaft was a solid rollerthat he had and seemed to work pretty good since it was a large engine. The engine was still about 10.5 to1 compression and it ended up working real well, better than my expectations. I believe the camshaft will need to be designed aroung the cubic inches, head flow, compression and use of the engine. Thanks and good luck, Keith Craft
Old 07-20-2005, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Keith I checked my Dove hi riser heads they arent the ones that have the raised exhaust ports, They do have 16 bolts per side though! The Glidden ported heads flow @ 425. Glad to see some people putting some thought into these engines.
Now if I can fit my hi riser tunnelwedge motor into my High Tech I will be a happy man. I'll be giving you a call, Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: