Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Same thing in NY. The emmissions needed are determined by the year of the motor. I had a 1969 motor (or I should say block) rebuilt for mine to avoid that mess. Inspector in NY said, 1969 block all you need is a gas cap good to go. I believe pre 1973 puts you in the clear.

I hope all works out for you at minimal cost.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

You didn`t say whose block is being used . Aluminum ? If so , my Ponds 427/482 block has a 1965 date code cast in it ( verified this with Robert ) . Would that get you by up there ??

Bob
Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
have to sell it b/c I can't register it. There is no way it will pass the MAC center BS they need. Check this out. I guess i should of lloked into this first. I just didn't see it coming

Massachusetts defines crate engines as “new” even when they reflect 1965-era technology, and a vehicle with one installed must be brought up to 2009 standards with catalytic converters and other equipment. Likewise, if a vintage engine is used, say a 1990 302 Mustang donor, all the equipment in the original 1990 Mustang configuration must be added to the Roadster, like EGR, catalytic converters, vapor canister, air pump and (probaby) the stock manifold.

In Massachusetts, since the year of the car is, in effect, defined by the engine, a 1965 replica can only be licensed as such with a vintage 1965 engine and matching engine IDs. It is therefore extremely difficult to qualify as a classic or antique car that is not subject to emission restrictions (that is, grandfathered) in Massachusetts unless a pre-1970 engine is installed first.

A bill (called "SEMA" legislation because it mirrors other bills passed under lobbying pressure from SEMA) was passed by the Massachusetts legislature but vetoed by Governor Patrick. There are current attempts underway to pass a SEMA-like bill again and avoid another veto.

If you must register the vehicle in MA, I recommend you fully understand all the regulations. Other Massachusetts-based builders can also provide guidance ... you might try also posting in the NE regional forum.
http://www.its-titles.com/
Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

ITS has been increasingly rejected by state DMVs. While it was an option some time ago, it's widely seen as a bogus ploy these days.

You'd have better luck registering the car in a no-rules state and trying to transfer it.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
You didn`t say whose block is being used . Aluminum ? If so , my Ponds 427/482 block has a 1965 date code cast in it ( verified this with Robert ) . Would that get you by up there ??

Bob
Exactly .Why must it be represented as a "crate engine?' Why can you not provide paperwork that shows it to be a rebuilt 1965 engine?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
Chris

you may at least want to take the time to go talk to an inspector. The car is going to be hard to sell without being titled and registered in your name...Its probably still in Kirkhams name on the origin paperwork?....which may make it difficult to transfer to another person or state?...your already in it...keep digging if it was easy there would be a lot more on the road!
Not at all, the car comes with an MSO from Kirkham. Florida (and many other states) don't even require this, just a receipt.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

How about selling the new FE and buying a date code 427, 428 or 390? Easy fix isn't it? The DMV is wise to the Pond date code block as they were cast with code however are not the actual code.
I too was considering Pantera or 308 however a date code 289 was the answer to my needs.

A KMS is a great car, be patient and go through the process. Will be worth it.

In the event you are past the point of no return I do know guy looking for a BB car that has a Testarossa he would trade?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

Not to second guess you, but lots of states will go by the year of the engine as the benchmark for smog requirements etc. In all the process of buying a Kirkham, did you never look into MA's requirements before you bought a crate engine?
I did not look into the requirements. Obviously, I was in error.

Here is the official policy. It says complete drivetrain. I'm not sure why you guys thought I made this up. Anyway, it would mean a change of the tranny and toploader. The funny thing is i had an original block and toploader and sld them! I bought a genesis block and a TKO. It would be difficult to prove they came from an old car
Old 03-23-2010, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff,
I will go throught the necessary steps before I make any decisions
thanks
chris
Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I looked at the ITS website. It seems shady. I wonder if it MA would allow it?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Chris the only way to get rid of the what ifs..is to try to talk to an inspector...or seek the help of folks that have done this talk to Kirkham , see if the Backdraft dealer in CT. and the ERA folks can help..i've been on the sidelines watching this issue in Mass for awhile..I believe folks are making progress on getting SEMA put in place...but it takes time
Old 03-23-2010, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
Here is the official policy. It says complete drivetrain. I'm not sure why you guys thought I made this up. Anyway, it would mean a change of the tranny and toploader. The funny thing is i had an original block and toploader and sld them! I bought a genesis block and a TKO. It would be difficult to prove they came from an old car
Unless the regs have changed since 2006 (which is entirely possible), my ERA was registered that year in MA with an engine built around a 1966 FE block and otherwise all new components.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have done some work on this. I spoke with the state police they are only concerned with receipts. I will have to call the MAC center. The law has been in place for years. You were lucky. It depends how the person you end up with interprets the law. I have heard of guys walk in with a MCO and get a title. I tried this at three registries and failed
chris

Last edited by ng8264723; 03-23-2010 at 09:52 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Would it make sense to consider a P.O. out of state (Nevada, Utah, etc.) that would be more lenient.
What the heck are you doing having to work eighty hours of overtime every week?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The insurance with out of state may be problematic when the time or if the time comes for a claim. I'm not willing to risk that. As far as the OT I meant 80 hours over last month
Old 03-24-2010, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 866 Roush 427 SR/TW
Not Ranked     

ng8264723
call me today if you have time. 413-530-9447
I have some names and numbers of people in the RMV and EPA. I have been working with them on the same problem for the past few weeks. A couple of the guys I have talked to seem like really good guys and are working to help get me through the inspection process. I am expecting a call back from one of them today. I dont want to give you false hope. At this point I am still getting a big NO for an answer but they are trying to help.

Good luck bud and you are right, this state sucks!

Kevin
Old 03-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

I have AAA Auto insurance, the underwriter specified:

Extended stay and use of a vehicle , defined as more than 6 months , in a different location other than where the vehicle is insured at , requires the insurance company to be notified. " If " there is a claim,after 6 months, handled on a case by case basis regarding coverage and intent. Falls into the Full Disclosure/Fraud clause that is included in most if not all policies .

The risk being the chances of a claim. If more than 6 months, AAA would change the location and to also abide by garage location states insurance regulations. Possible impact on rates, plus or minus, based upon the new location's risk assessment.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Insurance is not really an issue. When you get the policy, they'll ask you where the car is garaged. Give them your Mass address. Not a big deal. Because of my military servie, I had cars registered in Texas for many years, regardless of where I was stationed. Insurance was based on where I lived at the time.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

*** Recap from CT Emissions based upon year of engine block:

Year of Engine Emissions Controls Required of All Vehicles That Year

Pre - 1966 None

1966 - 1970 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor

1971 – 1978 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1979 – 1988 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System, and CAT

1989 – 1995 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor

1996 – current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection

*** Federal EPA Kit Car Policy, there may be a later version

July 8, 1994 -

" The following represents a clarification of EPA's policy concerning the regulation of imported and domestically produced kit cars and kit car packages. Kit vehicles are understood by EPA to typically involve new bodies, used drivetrains and new or used chassis. Used components may or may not be refurbished. This policy applies to kits or assembled kit cars only. This policy does not apply to regular production vehicles offered for importation into or produced in the United States."

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/kitcar.htm
Old 03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
It's an inverse relationship between a location's convenience of regulation and law and the inherent desirability of living there.
Ouch!!

I live in Sacramento too, but frankly prefer Utah.

California is a liberal wasteland of illegals and parasites. Nice weather, though.

PS sorry for the thread dirft.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"