Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
... because you know, Patrick does require some supervision.
Can't argue with you there.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
should be easy ...get a salvage title from a 68-70 mustang with a big block and a top loader, change the rear end gears to get it with in 3% go through the process and change the rear end gears back to what you want and your on your way
The rear end gear in your Kirkham is probably one of the same ratios available in the Fords back in the sixties (they ranged from 2.70:1 to 4.10:1). The engine & trans can be swapped out in an afternoon. A nice running 390 w/toploader can be had for cheap (relative to your investment). You can always swap back after you get your title. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just a collection of parts right now...
Send a message via MSN to spl310
Not Ranked     

I vote to move. I wouldn't want to live in Taxachussets anyway. If you don't want to move, then a used or loaner engine/tranny is the key.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

The enigine swap in a Kirkham is definately NOT an afternoon. Also I would need to redo the clutch setup for a toploader. I actually own a big block Mustang with a toploader. I would need the tranny from that car.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another idea would be to try to register it in NH. I called my insurance comp. To my surprise they actually don't care which stat the car is insured in. They insure based on where it is garaged. So who here lives in NH? How difficult is it in NH? What about NY?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
Another idea would be to try to register it in NH. I called my insurance comp. To my surprise they actually don't care which stat the car is insured in. They insure based on where it is garaged. So who here lives in NH? How difficult is it in NH? What about NY?
Remember, your state's statute is looking to see if the car is owned by a resident of the Commonwealth. Thus, in order not to be blatantly violative of the statute, the owner of the car should be a person, or entity, that is not a resident of the Commonwealth.

EXCLUSIONS
"A vehicle owned by a nonresident of the Commonwealth for which a currently effective certificate of title has been issued in the state of residence." http://www.mass.gov/rmv/titles/index.htm
Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know Patrick I know. But that is NOT an option.
chris
Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also I called FFR. They had no idea how to get a title in their own state. I then searched the FFR forum and found all the issues I have mentioned in this thread
Chris
Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Buy a cheapo Donor FFR that will pass, Then Change out the windshields and plates. Slap a roof on the FFR for a winter beater. Just don't crash the Kirkham!!! Then if the Sema bill passes sell the FFR. Remember the old days (like 7 years ago) when you could peel off inspection stickers and put them on a different car. Those were the days!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 02345, Roush/Yates 358 Sprint Cup motor
Not Ranked     
Default VT is the best place to do it!

REGISTER IT IN VT. Read my other posts on this thread. VT does not care if you live there they just want your $$$. Jeeez, what do you have to do around here to help a guy out

Quote:
Old 03-29-2010, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyds1 View Post
REGISTER IT IN VT. Read my other posts on this thread. VT does not care if you live there they just want your $$$. Jeeez, what do you have to do around here to help a guy out
Except the $1000 a day fine once your pissed off neighbor calls the state to report your VT plates in a Mass driveway at night
Old 03-29-2010, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Where do you get th $1,000/day from?
Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Where do you get th $1,000/day from?

I actually don't know what the fine is. . . but this is MAss, and there is a fine.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The thing that doesn't make any sense is I could have bought a used Cobra and brought it here to ma and not had any difficulties.
Chris
Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So title it in another state, in someone elses name even, and then bring your "used" Cobra back to Mass???

Actually, that is similiar to what some of folks did before replicas were legal on Oahu. Replicas WERE legal to register on the other islands and that made it much easier to "slip under the radar" when "coming back" to transfer ownership to an Oahu address. That method didn't always work, some of those DMV clerks are pretty sharp, but often it did. The worst thing that would happen was you would be denied the transfer and would then have to go to "plan B". Some folks actually flew to the mainland for the sole purpose of securing registration, plates, etc. and then returning home with said documents. But then, we drove around at night mostly, mostly we did, and never in large groups, pretty much it was all stealth mode. The cops knew, they looked the other way for the most part, not ONE of us EVER got "busted" for bad registration on the road. The DMV was what would trip you up! It was kind of cool, we had a hardcore secret club thing going on.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     
Default The NH DMV reviews this site

Quote:
The NH DMV reviews this site
Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Basically, every idea thus far has been shot down except starting a corpoartion somewhere. It seems the gods are against me
Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ng8264723,

I hate to see all the problems that you are having, but unless you actually own land in another state and live there part of the year, based on what happened around here, it would just not be worth the risk to me to do something like registering it in another state even under a friends name who does live there. I don't know if your state actively pursues this like out DMV here does, but that almost cost one person his car here and he never did get it registered and finally had to sell it out of state. And our DMV and other people in the State Govt. do monitor these sites looking fort just this kind of thing. At Least here we have the SB-100 exemption, plus I believe the number of cars to be registered is dropping yearly.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

It seems all you options if they are unsuccessful result in you selling the car, so why would you sell the car without trying any of them. A few of your options allow you to acquire a legal 1965 title and that alone makes the car easier to sell.

Further discussion just opens you and others up for scrutiny...
Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you do decide to go the out-of-state-maybe-corporation route, have someone hold your hand while doing it. I did see some potential nuisance/roadblocks in the Mass. statutory scheme (fines, a 30-day "use" clause, repetitive violation clause, etc.) but I did not see a civil forfeiture in there. That doesn't mean there isn't one tucked in there someplace though. I didn't look all that hard. Have whoever it is holding your hand write you up a memo on what the worst case scenario would be under the Mass. statutes and then you can balance the severity and likelihood of that happening against the "I have to sell my car" route. That will dictate the path you choose to take.