Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-26-2010, 06:23 AM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I would follow Chas' advice. Find whatever you need out there in salvage land, then maybe keep the 482 and install it, once you register your Kirkham with the salvage FE engine. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Seems like the cost to this approach is like the proverbial "two pounds on an elephant" and the years of joy you will have from driving your Kirkham would have to offset the hassle by a factor with a lot of commas in it.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

" So what happens with all the older people that maintain 2 residences and come here for the spring/summer months and then go back in the winter?
Are they re-registering everytime they move? I don't think so. "

There is a major difference in having a permanent address in one state and visiting a state on a temporary basis, one or the other has to be the permanent, not both. As an example, believe FL for the Homestead Exemption requires FL to be the permanent address. Does the driver's license address match the registration address and the names are the same. Legally, can't have two driver licenses from different states
Old 03-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I've been watching this entire thread and have tried to put myself in the OP's shoes. Given the investment plus the emotional value in putting together one's dream car, and add in the fact of limited driving and, for the most part, driving sane enough not to attract too much attention, I'd personally be more apt to finding a way. What I mean by that is breaking the local laws (to a point). At the end of the day, what could be the absolute worst thing that could happen? I would think a car impound and a trip to the judge to get it back (plus a hefty bonus to said constable).

To enjoy one's freedoms, sometimes you have take calculated risks. A VT plate or whatever is far better than just sitting on one's hands figuring out what to do (or not). Meanwhile, keep searching for the vintage block and once you have one together (and barely running), get it re-registered in MA, pull it out and replace with the real one. Sure it's a total hassle, and it won't be cheap, but you could also be dead tomorrow. Drive the freakin' car and enjoy life (while you still can).

My $0.02.

-Dean
Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In CT, there is , or was at one time, a provision that after " X " ( might have been $600/700++ ) verified/documented dollars are spent for emissions compliance , tested every 2 years, then an exemption is granted for the 2 year time period. Does MA have a similar provision ? Not sure whether it applied only to registered vehicles or also to new registrations.

Dean, agree on doing something to enjoy ones dream, but would not want to have the Cobra moved to an outdoor impound yard exposed to the elements, closeness of other vehicles, etc waiting for a judge to release the vehicle.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Dean, agree on doing something to enjoy ones dream, but would not want to have the Cobra moved to an outdoor impound yard exposed to the elements, closeness of other vehicles, etc waiting for a judge to release the vehicle.
Point acknowledged. All I was trying to say is that you can't steal second base if you leave your feet on first.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
I'm definately NOT going htrough the effort to pull the motor I just built and installed. I will sell it first. I might try other means. Registrating it in another state is kinda iffy........ I don't like the tattle tale law
chris
Is it just the engine/trans that has to be pulled or does the rear end also have to be replaced? If the Kirkham's aluminum rear end has to be replaced, do you have to find a Jaguar IRS dated 1966?

If so, that's got to be a PITA.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Seems to me, that MA is not going to allow you to register your Kirkham there. But, that does not prevent you from driving it if properly registered elsewhere. In the movie Shawshank Redemption, a guard is asked if he trusts his wife. Do you have a relative/friend who lives in VT or some other state whom you trust? You could barrow the car frequently/continually

I live in Utah and I'm pretty sure I can register it here.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you have barely a speck of athletic ability. And you hung in there with the best college football players in the land for 2 years. And you're gonna walk outta here with a degree from the University of Notre Dame. In this life, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself. And after what you've gone through, if you haven't done that by now, it ain't gonna never happen. Now go on back."

I thought Chris needed an inspirational speech to get back up on the horse and find a way. One of my favorites.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
[i]There is a major difference in having a permanent address in one state and visiting a state on a temporary basis, one or the other has to be the permanent, not both. ... Legally, can't have two driver licenses from different states
There's always the option of having an out-of-state corporation hold title to your car. That might avoid the messy "dual-residency issue."
Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Patrickt,

We are all giving him advise based on our states position on this. His state may have a complete different work around. I think southern Calif. isn't as quick to jump on an Oregon license plate, but they have Nevada and Arizona which could be the same as Oregon up here. I have seen the CHP turn around and cross the freeway median to stop a car or vehicle with an Oregon plate here. Really no reason to stop them as they could just radio in the plate and find out if it is really an Oregon car or someone living in this area. I do see a lot less Oregon plates the past year or so. And as I said earlier, one guy had to fight and spend quite a bit of money to keep them from taking his Cobra because he used a friends address in Oregon to register it there. Here the year of the block no longer matters, you need the SB-100 number or it has to meet the emission requirements of the year of the build.

Ron

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Just Suppose...

Well, suppose ERAChas, RodKnock, and I all wanted to go in and buy the SuperSnake that sold a while back. Of course RodKnock would put up the majority of the cash, but we would almost certainly set up a single purpose entitly, be it a corporation or an LLC, call it say "Supersnake Investment, Inc." and the choice of where we set up that corportion would be governed by which state (that we had at least some minimum contacts with) would have the friendliest registration and titling procedures (now granted we're talking replica for the OP's problem). The car would spend some time in all three of our states, as we drove it around and acted really cool, but when Chas. got pulled over for doing donuts and throwing beer cans out the back, the car would not be registered, nor titled, to him and it would, presumably, only have to meet the titling and registration requirements for its own state (not the state where Chas. lives). So long as the car is titled in a Cobra-friendly state, to a domestic corporation in that state, and spends a reasonable amount of time in that state (like in storage over the winter), I think you've got a pretty good leg to stand on that it can wear that state's license plate with impunity whereever it may decide to go.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris.....I did not go back and reread the Thread. Might the FFR tech or sales staff, being located in MA, be of assistance with options/alternatives, appeal process, waivers, etc., especially if they have experienced the same situation with their customers ? Might have some inside info.

Question was asked earlier, is it just the engine or the complete drive train that MA objects to ?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well, suppose ERAChas, RodKnock, and I all wanted to go in and buy the SuperSnake that sold a while back. Of course RodKnock would put up the majority of the cash, but we would almost certainly set up a single purpose entitly, be it a corporation or an LLC, call it say "Supersnake Investment, Inc." and the choice of where we set up that corportion would be governed by which state (that we had at least some minimum contacts with) would have the friendliest registration and titling procedures (now granted we're talking replica for the OP's problem). The car would spend some time in all three of our states, as we drove it around and acted really cool, but when Chas. got pulled over for doing donuts and throwing beer cans out the back, the car would not be registered, nor titled, to him and it would, presumably, only have to meet the titling and registration requirements for its own state (not the state where Chas. lives). So long as the car is titled in a Cobra-friendly state, to a domestic corporation in that state, and spends a reasonable amount of time in that state (like in storage over the winter), I think you've got a pretty good leg to stand on that it can wear that state's license plate with impunity whereever it may decide to go.

First, I would have to be the managing member of the LLC and require 50% of any upside, but no downside risk. You and Chas could provide the capital and be silent partners.

Second, our new company or LLC would have to make a profit at some point, otherwise the IRS would shut it down.

Third, you and Chas would have to pay the LLC or Corporation tax of $800/year.

Fourth, our license plate might have to be commercial and the insurance may be higher since our Kirkham might have to be a commercial vehicle

Granted, I can't do it, because of the lack of skills, knowledge and tools, but an experienced professional in a shop like the one where I had my car, could have that 482 engine and tranny out in less than an hour.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You and Chas ... be silent partners.
Well that's a deal-killer right thar'.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Second, our new company or LLC would have to make a profit at some point, otherwise the IRS would shut it down.
Damn it, Rod, you're not thinking far enough outside the box.

Bahamian registration for the holding company. Fixed.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well that's a deal-killer right thar'.
For me as well.

I can only see you guys as my maintenance crew. BTW, bring those wooden ramp thingees to change the oil too.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agreed, a business deal of that nature is a prescription for disaster. But, my suggested post should not be dismissed lightly. If he gets to the point where he is going to sell his car because he can't drive it, then he just might want to revisit it.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:48 AM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Is it just the engine/trans that has to be pulled or does the rear end also have to be replaced? If the Kirkham's aluminum rear end has to be replaced, do you have to find a Jaguar IRS dated 1966?

If so, that's got to be a PITA.
It's going to be a PITA. I looked up the EPA guidelines that MA uses. Here's the link:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/kitcar.htm
Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

should be easy ...get a salvage title from a 68-70 mustang with a big block and a top loader, change the rear end gears to get it with in 3% go through the process and change the rear end gears back to what you want and your on your way
Old 03-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanoochka View Post
It's going to be a PITA. I looked up the EPA guidelines that MA uses. Here's the link:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/kitcar.htm
I could have missed it, but I didn't see rear end in there anywhere.

BTW, Chas would have to be the Maintenance Crew Supervisor, because you know, Patrick does require some supervision.