Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   How do you answer, "Is it real?" (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/141900-how-do-you-answer-real.html)

Chicagowil 03-14-2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danr55 (Post 1458847)
This last week I was at a show and the first four people ask THE question. After that, I began replying, "What do you think? I've had 19 people ask me that today and I've given four different answers. So now it's your turn. Look the car over and tell me if you think it's real." Then when they come back and say, "I don't know", I ask them why it makes a difference... at this point they usually get frustrated, pissed off or confused and just walk off. I take some great perverted pleasure in this.

Dan, your just a mean man! I like it!:LOL:

Danr55 03-15-2019 05:10 PM

I have the pleasure of owning one of few factory built Contemporary cobras. If I say it's a factory car I catch crap from the Cobra guys. If I simply answer no it's not a kit car, I catch crap from the Cobra guys and the other folks when they say it doesn't look like aluminum. So I simply don't answer any more. I've turned the tables. If they can tell the difference, they won't ask. If they can't tell the difference you could tell them anything and they wouldn't know anyway.

olddog 03-16-2019 04:47 PM

Are surgically altered silicone breast implants real tits?

Ron Scarboro 03-16-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog (Post 1459392)
Are surgically altered silicone breast implants real tits?

No, they’re better. 😎

tortuga 03-17-2019 01:13 PM

You see it too?!?

Best one I’ve heard...

olddog 03-17-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Scarboro (Post 1459393)
No, they’re better. 😎

I might say the same thing about a Kirkham or a 484 all aluminum stroker.

olddog 03-17-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Scarboro (Post 1459393)
No, they’re better. ��

What if they are attached to a nice burly fellow who decided not to complete the gender reassignment process?

As you can see it's all a matter of perspective, prejudices, and opinion.

Everyone see things differently.

tortuga 03-17-2019 02:08 PM

Basically if it’s on the road no...

A real one was built in England and powered In LA...and worth from at least most of, or multiples of millions of dollars. Our replicas are probably in all but collectibility terms, better all around drivers cars than any original, but none are “real”.

If you cloned any historical human down to the last detail from DNA they would in effect be that person, but not the real one as they could never again repeat what they were famous for in the first place...the finest replica was never tossed around by Ken Miles, Bob Bonduront, Alan Gurney, Dave McDonnald or the like...

In my mind they are all cobras, a few actually are “Shelbys” but replicas all, from the most ridiculous VW powered kit to the most primo aluminum billet kirkham (the top of the heap from what I’ve seen)...

We’ve all heard the loudmouth disrespecting the car as “just some fiberglass kit” which I never reply to, just wait for the dude to leave in his bad-ass civic...

But what the hell if it gives you a tingle in your dingles that’s all that matters in the end. I am sure by lowly SPF makes me happier than some zillionaire’s five originals languishing in a warehouse somewhere...

MaSnaka 03-17-2019 10:22 PM

I like to answer this way and I cant take credit for being my original phrase. "Stand in front of my car and let me run you over, then tell me if you think its real or not". I can't afford a real Cobra so this lowly replica will do. But it kicks ass and checks my boxes. I couldn't be happier every time I push the button and it starts up. What a thrill.

John

cycleguy55 03-18-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog (Post 1459429)
What if they are attached to a nice burly fellow who decided not to complete the gender reassignment process?

As you can see it's all a matter of perspective, prejudices, and opinion.

Everyone see things differently.

Agreed, we all have our own 'filters' and perceive things differently. Like this:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...8458a7075.webp

Ron Scarboro 03-18-2019 10:10 AM

I’ve never been offended by the question, nor have a felt the need to have a snarky remark. I’ve always thought this should be an inclusive hobby and not everyone is born knowing to “not ask that question”. I generally take the time to tell them what my car is, why it is the way it is (the choices I made in the build), etc.

ERA 626 05-26-2019 01:24 PM

is it real?

This is either a complex question or a very simple one.
1) is it real? no matter what company made it yes its real
2) is it a kit car? well was it purchaced as a kit? or a turn key ? or someware in the middle?

To me if I am asked the question now, is it real? I say yes its a real ERA, most people look at you like a deer in the headlights and say "very nice"

I am proud to say its a real ERA.

I am getting CXS 6079 in a few months, it will be a much eaiser question to answer. Is it real? yes its a real Shelby cobra.

Phx Mike 05-26-2019 02:40 PM

I think we all realize that when someone asks this question, what they are really asking is “is that an original 1960s cobra?. So, if your car was built by Carroll Shelby and his team back in the 1960s, the answer is yes. If your car was built after that, by anyone, the answer is no it’s a replica or reproduction.

patrickt 05-26-2019 03:12 PM

Around my area, virtually no one under the age of 60 even knows what a Cobra is, much less fake versus real versus "kind of real" versus not really real at all.:cool:

ChiChris 05-26-2019 03:21 PM

About 10 yrs ago I was at a red light in my FFR, a guy pulls up next to me in a Miata and yells, 'is all that noise necessary?' My reply was, 'when does Barbie want her car back at her playhouse?' Light turns green I pull away slowly and he doesn't move.

patrickt 05-26-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiChris (Post 1462279)
About 10 yrs ago I was at a red light in my FFR, a guy pulls up next to me in a Miata and yells, 'is all that noise necessary?' My reply was, 'when does Barbie want her car back at her playhouse?' Light turns green I pull away slowly and he doesn't move.

Now that's pretty funny.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Phx Mike 05-26-2019 05:15 PM

I see two kinds of drivers at stoplights....one group rolls their window down and sticks their head out and smiles....the other rolls their window up!

novasscnc 05-27-2019 04:01 PM

I always say if it was real I would not let you get within 50 feet of it, then I explain its a replica and the value of the real ones

Danr55 05-28-2019 11:39 AM

"Are surgically altered silicone breast implants real tits?" Who cares? ...and I can tell the difference.

novasscnc 05-28-2019 02:34 PM

yes they are and they are also beautiful I love Danr55 response