Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Kirkham Motorsports (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/)
-   -   How do you answer, "Is it real?" (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/kirkham-motorsports/141900-how-do-you-answer-real.html)

ERA 626 11-29-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1469157)
That it is a "component vehicle" built under license by Superformance or Kirkham (depending on fiberglass or Aluminum) for SAI, yes, I, I agree, 100%. Still does not make it an original Cobra, which would be an original to anyone who was asking the original question, sorry :p

um its NOT superformance its Hi-tech the parent Co.

ERA 626 11-29-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpjb (Post 1469150)
how should they are replicas when produced by the original maker SAI?
there is no evidence of that statement at all

all CSX 1000/4000/6000/7000/8000/9000 are real Shelby Cobras

not only real Shelbys but also real Cobras because SAI has the rights on the name

nobody claims they are CSX 2000 or CSX 3000 from the sixties

well said amazing how many people dont understand... 99.9% of them are people who dont own CSX cars, nothing wrong with the handful of top shelf cars, in fact I see a Kirkham in my future. Just saying.

mrmustang 11-29-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA 626 (Post 1469164)
um its NOT superformance its Hi-tech the parent Co.

Thanks for correcting that and agreeing with everything else ;):D:LOL:

Texn8 11-29-2019 05:31 PM

I answer. "Real ones today start at 1.5 million.....I can't afford to drive my real one! Insurance restrictions, ya' know?"
Left it home in the vault!

ERA 626 11-29-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1469167)
Thanks for correcting that and agreeing with everything else ;):D:LOL:

You are part of the problem here, follow your signature line... you seem to like to argue... yes The 6000 series CSX cars are made by Hi-Tech... your point?

mrmustang 11-30-2019 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA 626 (Post 1469176)
You are part of the problem here, follow your signature line... you seem to like to argue... yes The 6000 series CSX cars are made by Hi-Tech... your point?

You need to lighten up, it's not arguing, at least not on my end, just some friendly teasing as the subject matter, and this thread have been twisted beyond it's original intent, as was the original question presented

Here is wishing you well.

Bill

t walgamuth 11-30-2019 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RB60 (Post 1469155)
Another question I often hear is "what year is it?"

I tell them it's a 1965 Shelby Cobra replica built in 2002.

I like this answer.

t walgamuth 11-30-2019 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaider (Post 1469020)
Most of the time I just say it's a Stage XLVii. Then they ask what's that and I say I don't know! That's what the guy I bought it from told me. The conversation usually ends fairly quickly ...

Ed

hah hah!

ront49 11-30-2019 05:18 AM

Movie Recognition

We went to the "Ford vs Ferrari" movie ... good show ... on the way out I thought how neat it would have been to have my Cobra parked outside the theater ... It was nasty and rainy so that wasn't going to happen even if I had thought of the idea prior to going. The next day while driving the Cobra up the highway, one car keep passing us then slowing down so we could pass him. Running along about 95-100 they passed again. This time his windows were down and all inside were waving and two were filming. Then another car went by (much slower speed now), and they were taking pics also. Got to the store parking lot where my wife went in so I remained in the car. Had two different couples stop. One videoed and the other asked if they could take pics to send to their son, "sure you can." Then another guy came up grinning and saying "wow, beautiful car. Does it have a 427?" Yes I replied ... another "wow" they guy was really impressed and then he asked "did you build it?" My response was "it's not a kit." I thought the guy was going to piss his britches. Don't know if it was recognition from the movie or just car folks appreciating a good ride but needless to say my ego meter topped out and that's what it's about for me! God Bless you all and God bless America.

ront49 11-30-2019 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texn8 (Post 1469174)
I answer. "Real ones today start at 1.5 million.....I can't afford to drive my real one! Insurance restrictions, ya' know?"
Left it home in the vault!

Now that's funny!

RB60 12-01-2019 01:16 AM

I think most who ask "is it real" are really asking if it is one of the 998 "original" cars built in the 60's.
When I'm asked that, I tell them it's a replica and if I could afford a "real one" (or an "original one"), I'd sell it and buy one of these replicas because I'd be scared sh!tless to drive an "original" with all the idiots on the road today, and I just love driving this one. They usually just smile and agree, then tell me it's a beautiful car.

t walgamuth 12-01-2019 06:22 AM

I try to remember when they ask if it is real that they are asking because they like it and just want to engage you in conversation about it. They really don't care if it is real or not. If it is super fast they might brag to a friend about it.

Some folks here complain if a replica is called a Hot Rod. I say why? Shel himself called them Hot rods built by a bunch of Hot rodders. Of course it is a Hot rod.;)

RodKnock 12-02-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpjb (Post 1469159)
csx 4000-9000: real Shelby Cobras
csx 2000-3000: original Shelby Cobras

there is no help for those who either refuse or aren't able to understand differentiated facts

From Ned Scudder (Nedsel), the caretaker of the Shelby World Registry for the only real Cobras, those built between 1962-1967 (page 57, post #1127), and the world's foremost expert on Cobras, since you guys refuse to read the old 64-page thread:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...gument-57.html

"This is simply pointing out the obvious, but all Evan has taught anyone is how to be obstinate, selective in one's statement of the facts, and twist reality to suit his agenda. Both the registry and the SAAC website clearly state the later Shelby-built Cobras are replicas of the 60's icon, but Evan focuses only on the club's decision to call them something else to help distinguish them from other replicas.

Face the facts: a car built to copy something built by a different company some 35 years earlier with different tooling and materials in a dissimilar manner on a different continent with an entirely different corporate structure, clearly can't be the same as the original. The story of Pinocchio was a fable, and even though a fairy princess turned a bundle of sticks into a "real, live, boy,"no fairy can turn a 2001 Shelby Cobra into a real 1965 AC-Shelby Cobra.

But if and when it happens, please let us know."

RodKnock 12-02-2019 11:58 AM

More from Ned Scudder (Nedsel), page 51, post #1105:

So, fifty pages later, it boils down to the definition of "replica" in the dictionary - "an exact copy or model of something" - versus a paragraph in the 2008 SAAC Registry explaining that many different copies of the "Cobra" had been built that were really nothing like the original, yet they were still considered "replicas" in peoples' minds. So, as stated in the registry: "This left the true replicas - like Shelby's CSX 4000s - to come up with another name to describe themselves. Because he did not want his cars devalued by using the term 'replica,' Shelby chose "Component Cobra." And the MSO - Manufacturer's Statement of Origin - for a CSX 4xxx-series car states that is is sold without an engine or transmission, so in fact it is a component car, i.e. sold incomplete.

It would appear to me that each of these factors suggests the real argument should be "Why does every thread devolve into a Component vs. Replica argument?"

RodKnock 12-02-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpjb (Post 1469150)
how should they are replicas when produced by the original maker SAI?
there is no evidence of that statement at all

all CSX 1000/4000/6000/7000/8000/9000 are real Shelby Cobras

not only real Shelbys but also real Cobras because SAI has the rights on the name

nobody claims they are CSX 2000 or CSX 3000 from the sixties

The "original maker" no longer really exists. The Shelby company has been sold at least a couple times and then went public. If Shelby retains any ownership, then it's a minority interest and diluted at best.

They're replicas and it's expressely stated as such in the 2008 World Registry. That's evidence. And the leading expert of the original and only real Cobras stated their replicas.

twobjshelbys 12-02-2019 12:03 PM

Your interpretation because it suits your agenda. I know that Shelby American disagrees. And those of us that buy or have bought them don't get what the burr under your saddle is. But go ahead, you're speaking to only 1% of the Shelby CSX owners here anyway.

Chrysler has been sold many times and yet they still are Chryslers. Even Ferrari isn't Ferrari yet do you see anyone claiming that they are now built by Fiat?

Again, nothing new can or will be said.

patrickt 12-02-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1469263)
"Why does every thread devolve into a Component vs. Replica argument?"[/b][/i]

I bet you didn't know that ponent meant the area of the setting sun, which is usually the west.:cool: Of course, you can then add the prefix op to it or com to it, as you see fit, or, As You Like It, if you're more prone to pastoral comedies.:cool:

RodKnock 12-02-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpjb (Post 1469159)
csx 4000-9000: real Shelby Cobras
csx 2000-3000: original Shelby Cobras

there is no help for those who either refuse or aren't able to understand differentiated facts

Your opinion isn't a fact. It's an opinion. Read the World Registry or just read Ned Scudder's comments in the old thread.

RodKnock 12-02-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1469265)
Your interpretation because it suits your agenda. I know that Shelby American disagrees. And those of us that buy or have bought them don't get what the burr under your saddle is. But go ahead, you're speaking to only 1% of the Shelby CSX owners here anyway.

Chrysler has been sold many times and yet they still are Chryslers. Even Ferrari isn't Ferrari yet do you see anyone claiming that they are now built by Fiat?

First, the Shelby company that exists today is not the "original maker." And both Chrysler and Ferrari don't have 30-year gaps between building cars.

Chrysler and Ferrari are making new complete cars that are being sold to the public, which meet current 2019 Federal safety and emissions laws.

Shelby sells a kit now, not a completed car, because the car doesn't meet current Federal safety and emissions laws.

RodKnock 12-02-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1469265)

First, here's my agenda: the only real and/or original Shelby Cobras were made between 1962-1967. I don't own one, but the history of those cars shouldn't be watered down just to make current Shelby replicas owners feel better about their purchase and the fact that they paid a premium for their replica.

1% of CSX owners? Another made up statistic.

That's why I keep referring people to the previous thread. Just read it. And also read the 2008 World Registry. Why the 2008 World Registry? Because the new Registry drops all replicas.