Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
View Poll Results: What do you REALLY want?
frame and body only 16 9.25%
frame and body with all other Kirkham parts 32 18.50%
frame, body, and everything else--in a box 58 33.53%
everything completely assembled 67 38.73%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing
So don't sell anything but rollers, David.

Year later.........same answer.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default Why change?

David, this is Mike Murphy, (the two 427's). Can't wait to get them. One of the best features of your cars their exclusive nature. Don't know if I would have bought them if you also also offered a "cheap version", doesn't seen to fit with the image you are trying to portray. Just my take. MM
Old 09-25-2006, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421
Not Ranked     

How about an aluminum 427 S/C Cobra peddal car for the kids?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

I still want the front nose section to hang on my office wall........where are my floor mats????

Thanks,
Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #304, Shelby Aluminum 482 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Lexus vs. Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy
David, this is Mike Murphy, (the two 427's). Can't wait to get them. One of the best features of your cars their exclusive nature. Don't know if I would have bought them if you also also offered a "cheap version", doesn't seen to fit with the image you are trying to portray. Just my take. MM
Mike,
I think you have it exactly right. Kirkham has spent ten years establishing itself as the Lexus of Cobra builders. When Lexus started up everybody asked why anybody would buy a Lexus when you could buy the "original" Mercedes. Lexus concentrated on building the best luxury cars with outstanding quality, Mercedes quality has fallen off a cliff with Consumer Reports rating them below Kia and Hundai. I quit buying Mercedes years ago and now buy Lexus as I believe them to be better. I think Kirkham has done the same thing to all other Cobra makers including Shelby. When BMW decided to build the Mini they did not want to tarnish the BMW brand by going downmarket, hence the Cooper brand. When Kirkham starts selling kits or plans or boxes of parts for others to build(and screw up) it will immediatly make all Kirkham cars suspect and the brand will lose a lot of it's prestiege. There are many makers fighting for "budget" Cobra sales, Kirkham and Shelby are alone at the top and Shelby can't deliver. Don't go downmarket with the Kirkham name, if you gotta go there, call it something else. Downmarket Lexus cars are called Toyotas and Scions. JMO

Chip
Old 09-26-2006, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default What you say?

A Kirkham lightweight Jag E type Cobra Killer with 400 hp and 2100 lbs. Best of all, it's a vintage car that can be vintage raced and win.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 09-27-2006, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Red face "Vintage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX 4027
A Kirkham lightweight Jag E type Cobra Killer with 400 hp and 2100 lbs. Best of all, it's a vintage car that can be vintage raced and win.
I think it depends on the sanctioning body, but I think generally for a car
to acceptable for vintage racing it actually has to have a "vintage" provenance.
So you can build an exact pin for pin replica of an alloy-body E-type and it
won't be acceptable for vintage racing unless you can prove it was built in the
time period when such cars were actually built. Several extremely accurate and
beautifully constructed Aston-Martin DBR1's that are exactly like the one that
Carroll Shelby and Roy Salvadori used to win LeMans in 1959 have been built,
but they are not "vintage" from the standpoint of vintage racing. Same thing
goes for Lotus 49's that have been built in recent years. Despite the fact they
are not elgible for vintage racing events, they are still highly desirable cars
and will give you the feeling that the late Jim Clark must have felt when he
braked into the "Tarzanbocht" at Zandvoort in 1967.

....Fred
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffindling
I think it depends on the sanctioning body, but I think generally for a car to acceptable for vintage racing it actually has to have a "vintage" provenance.
So you can build an exact pin for pin replica of an alloy-body E-type and it
won't be acceptable for vintage racing unless you can prove it was built in the time period when such cars were actually built.
I think that that is no longer the case,,,,
The FIA recently created the Historic Technical Passport (HTP) to complement the Historic Certificate, which is only granted to original cars. This means that, for example, an alloy CSX or KMP car, with true-to-design undercarriage and drivetrain, could obtain an HTP and be eligible for Vintage Races.

Quote:
The HTP is essentially a sporting document. It is intended to ensure that a car complies with the specification of the car it purports to be. Whether that car is wholly original, partly original, assembled wholly or partly out of period components or a copy or replica built recently does not matter.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred, I believe the DBR1's were scratch built and were not previously cars. If you take a '66 E-type that was built in 1966, has a serial number and set it up for racing with lightweight bits, I believe HRS and SVRA will run it.
Ron, In the case with the new FIA papers, it's a neat thing to have but, we don't have any FIA races state side so, it can run in Europe. I don't know or believe SVRA or HSR will allow them to run against originals here. I have heard of exceptions made but, usually on the left coast.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 09-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

KISS...Lotus 7 reproduction. Caterham's about it right now. Good fun for cruising with weather gear, open track and autocrossing. Easy to find motors and trans combos by the end user. Nice alternative to the present line. I would imagine Gerry would luv 'em as well.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Steve and Ron,

It is my understanding that the new HTP for the FIA only applies to a car that is made by the original manufacturer (Shelby, Chevron, Lola, etc.), so a KMP would not be eligible in any body form. As for HMSA and others it appears they will allow these cars to compete (all original suspension, body, power train etc.) in the future. A wild ass guess as to the time period, within the next 5 years assuming many other caveats.

Allan
Old 09-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Max Mosley, Prez of FIA said this:

The HTP certifies that a vehicle conforms in every respect to the original specification of that vehicle. The vehicle might not, however, be an authentic and original vehicle. The HC, on the other hand, certifies that a vehicle is original and authentic, even if it does not conform to its original specification in every detail. Of course an original car which still conforms to its original specification could hold both an HTP and an HC. An original racing car which has been modified might hold an HC (with an endorsement), but would not be eligible for an HTP. Conversely, a car which conforms in every respect to the specification of an original vehicle can hold an HTP even if it is a recently-built copy, but can never hold the HC which is reserved for the original vehicle.

So, it does look like replicas, even scratch-built, can claim the HTP...which is cool.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289, KMPS007
Not Ranked     

Allan,

The HTP is very specific in that it allows cars of any origin, as long as they comply with the specifications of the original car. The HTP is not concerned with provenance. They don't care who built it, that's what the Heritage Certificate is for.

Please refer to the FIA webpage. They have a very good reference and a series of Questions and Answers that address these issues.

Regards
Old 09-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

A Kirkham of course......................Cobra that is, slabside front and FIA rear similar to early race cars. CSX2259 Perfect!

Aluminum Jag XK or Austin bugeye would also be a great choice. Classics that always draw a crowd.

Back to original question 1, 2, or 3 would be great depending on lifes cash return. I thought the body/frame already was an option?

Someday a KMS owner,
Jeff

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 09-27-2006 at 04:56 PM..
Old 09-27-2006, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

I might have my wires crossed as you compare the FIA rules and vintage group goals. The discussions I have had relate to the vintage groups, they realize that many of the original cars are going into museums etc. Once again this is my understanding, they would (years from now) start to allow cars with the correct heritage and replicate the exact build. The reason they can request heritage is so many of the famous cars are being built by the original manufacturers. Ferrari for example has recently added a new building to fix/certify their old models with rumors of some new units for race only. Why would you accept a garage build (allowable under the rules you provided) when you can get a number of cars with heritage. Who knows, it is all a buddy system anyways.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

david
how about a aluminum porsche 356 speedster or 550 spyder? i can provide a speedster if your interested??
Old 09-27-2006, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default This works..

a smashing choice whilst pondering,,
Attached Images

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 09-28-2006, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Since we are throwing around ideas beyond the cobra realm, didn't you guys fab a willys (body?) a while back?

Now THAT was spectacular!

............mmm is that thing still around?
Old 11-05-2006, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

CSX700?,

YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED ME ON THAT ONE! We are always looking for new projects. That sounds interesting.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Smile Projects....

An aluminum E-type lightweight is pretty appealing, but so is the alloy
550 spyder as well.

....Fred