Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Once Owned CSX4803, CSX803 block, Keith Craft 468, Suspension by Tom Barnard, Built by Kris Kincaid
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Engine

David,
Is dropping the engine and tranny now a service option at Kirkham now? It seems you are doing this more and more...Rahal, Miller, etc. It would be a great option to offer but I'm not sure how you would get around legal/safety questions for street cars because you would essentially be automobile manufacturer.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

I guess some loud crusty SOB sorta killed the in-house internal hydraulic throwout idea last year when asked to be the biggest guinea pig ever imagined when his POS McLoud failed yet again, heh?

Next time I have the motor out, I'm swapping in your fork and slave mount...assolutely beautiful.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP478
Not Ranked     

David- What clutch line size do you use to plumb the hydraulic throwout bearing? Is it a -4 to a -3, or a -3 to a -4.

Your build and question thread is helping immensely. Keep it up!

Jason
Old 08-02-2007, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 S/C #253, KCR Built CSX #452
Not Ranked     

Jamo,

Unless you switch to the Tremec, you'll have to nudge Thomas into making the necessary changes to the clutch fork. At present, I'm the only one using the new fork with a toploader and it required some custom fab work to tweak it. I'm sure the changes are somewhere on Thomas's list, but there is mostly a focus on the Tremec these days.

Scott
Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Bluedog,

We are very strict about motor installation. We only install motors in cars that are race cars, our own cars, or exported cars. Rahal has his own engine installers so we didn't do that (not sure where you got the idea we did???) The Miller Motorsports Park cars are pure race cars that they are using in their school! How about THAT for a SCHOOL car

One has a big block aluminum 427 (482 cubes) nuclear weapon under the hood. Next time they fire it up the ATF will show up at their door!

Export cars the DOT doesn't control. And I can put an engine in my own car.

Jamo,

That crusty dude was YOU!!! I didn't want a Darwin award from you so I threw all of the hydraulic throw out bearings in the trash and started with a clean sheet of paper. Last thing I needed from you was an "I told you so! Dumb #$%!" I know you were just licking your chops, but I couldn't bear the thought of never living it down for the rest of my life. Every time I don't listen to you I REGRET it!

Jason,

We convert the -3 out of the clutch master cylinder to a -4. I am trying to keep this going and keep everything else going...including our SUPER SECRET new project out of the skunksownia. You will NEVER guess what we have hidden up the tail pipe! I have been working on it for literally years.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Scott,

We haven't sold a Top Loader car in over a year now. Every one wants the Tremec stuff. We will eventually get to making the set up for a top loader, but first we have to do the engineering work to make it work with a Quick Time bell housing (THEY ARE REALLY COOL!!!) and a small block with a Tremec.

David
Old 08-02-2007, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David,

I wasn't passing judgement or complaining, just letting Jamo (and possibly others) know that it is not currently available for toploaders. I'm happy with mine and lucky that with Thomas's and Denny Aldridge (Aldridge Motorsports) efforts we were able to pull it together. In fact, I'm extremely happy with the performance of it -- aka, NO MORE HYDRAULIC T.O. BEARINGS FOR ME...

Keep up the great work

Scott
Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 482 Shelby / TKO 600
Not Ranked     

David,

Does the Quick Time bellhousing have to be cut in order to fit the original style frame? Are there any ground clearence issues?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

David, "Ok Mr. too complicated" "The bypassing fuel system is complicatedI will take a picture of the entire" " Ha Ha.
I completly understand "return style" regulators. Where do you put the return in the tank? Is there an extra bung? My tank is being welded today for the sender unit bung, do I need another? thanks
Old 08-02-2007, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Boss I have seen a few that use the second fuel pickup. My tank has two fuel pickup and I only use the lower one. The upper can be used for a second pump as per original but makes a nice return line as well if you don't run dual pumps.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurts
Jamo,

Unless you switch to the Tremec, you'll have to nudge Thomas into making the necessary changes to the clutch fork. At present, I'm the only one using the new fork with a toploader and it required some custom fab work to tweak it. I'm sure the changes are somewhere on Thomas's list, but there is mostly a focus on the Tremec these days.

Scott
Scotty...you think I'm worried about a minor detail like that? I ain't switching to no poossy 5 speed. I like to hear the doggone motor every time, all the time. Ricers drive with 5 speeds.

Looky here what Tom made me while talking to me on the phone a few years ago when I was assking (in my typically nice way) how the he!! you get the switch face nuts off without scratching the leather. By the time the call ended, he informed me that while I was blowing hot air, he made me a tool and was shipping it out.

This super-duper thing arrived overnight and is one of my most prized possessions...right up there with the transmission shipping case I've never sent back to Kee (handy thing that)...

Last edited by Jamo; 08-02-2007 at 03:09 PM..
Old 08-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham
Jamo,

That crusty dude was YOU!!! I didn't want a Darwin award from you so I threw all of the hydraulic throw out bearings in the trash and started with a clean sheet of paper. Last thing I needed from you was an "I told you so! Dumb #$%!" I know you were just licking your chops, but I couldn't bear the thought of never living it down for the rest of my life. Every time I don't listen to you I REGRET it!

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/tool.jpg.

David
I recall the phone call...it was along the lines of "hey Jamo, give me a few weeks and I'll send you our first ever internal hydraulic thingy with assolutely leak proof fittings and you can be the first on your block..." And then I said something along the lines of "...you're out of your freeking mind if you think I'm gonna pull this damn engine one more freeking time..." (or words to that effect).
Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

Thanks Xlr80r- I didn't even look at the top for that. When I took it too my buddy last week- I was far from thinking about a return line- Just wanted a fuel guage. Do you have a returen on your 460?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

jamo,

So, you are saying that you are very effective at nudging Thomas (and company) and we could expect this as an area where you apply your excellent influencing style

As for my trusty toploader, I love it and I have not had any need for some woosy highway cruising 5th gear. The track times speak for themselves and I didn't have a problem running out of rpm heading down the front straight at MMSP.

Speaking of Miller, I hope to see ya at the open track gathering.

Scott
Old 08-02-2007, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Rottie,

I am not sure yet on the Quick Time bell housings. We have not had time to put one on yet. We have one here, and they look GREAT!!! They are much lighter than the Lakewood bell housing and look a whole bunch better too.

They are already cut quite a bit and so I am not sure if they need to be trimmed or not. As soon as we get a chance, we will be dropping the Lakewood and changing to the Quick Time...that may take a few months, however.

big-boss,

Well, by complicated, I meant the routing of the lines, (which would take a zillion pictures and a LOT of time for me to post), not the concept.

We run the bypass into the fill neck of the tank and let it drain back into the tank. We just usually weld a bung there on the fill neck to accept the bypassing fuel.

xlr8or,

Our earlier tanks had 2 pick ups like the original cars and we did put them in the second pick up for a while. About a year ago we dropped the double pick ups and moved the drain back to the filler neck.

Jamo,

You were right seeing the future on that one! Now, do you have any good stock tips?

David
Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Yeah...search for new companies making catalytic converters to reduce cow emissions.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Boss I just capped it on mine.
No more 460 either. Genesis 427 in the works.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham
The Miller Motorsports Park cars are pure race cars that they are using in their school! How about THAT for a SCHOOL car
They are school cars, Wow!

I just checked out their website and do not see a class where you can drive a Kirkham. They have Mustangs and a Ford GT though.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

1ntCobra,

We just finished installing the double roll bars they requested (and a few other subtle modifications they needed). I imagine they will have them up on their site soon.

They have already shown them at the SAAC convention and they will be showing them soon again at another event...

David
Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Also,

They just took one of their Kirkham cars over 1000 miles on the Utah Fast Pass...along with our Rush.

David