Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

double entry

Last edited by csx700?; 05-19-2008 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: double entry
Old 05-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last edited by csx700?; 12-18-2009 at 12:31 AM..
Old 05-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last edited by csx700?; 12-18-2009 at 12:29 AM..
Old 06-02-2008, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge, Boss 429
Not Ranked     

Hey David, how about an update on the billet car. And let's not forget about the coupe. Pics would be great too
Old 06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossCER View Post
Hey David, how about an update on the billet car. And let's not forget about the coupe. Pics would be great too
Gents,

We have been quietly working away. Maybe we will test drive in 2 weeks or so. We are just now finishing up the belly pan and pedal box. The pedal box is really quite different. I'll find some pics and post them.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Dang it! I completely missed this party.

Dave,

I know aluminum is your expertise and you have the equipment to do this work. Just out of curiosity (cause I don't have a clue to the anwer) how would a carbon fiber chassis compare on wieght and rigidity?

Without a doubt this is the most beautiful chassis ever built. And "ever" goes both forward and backward in time!
olddog,

Thank you for your kind words!

A carbon fiber chassis would be stiffer and lighter...if done right. But, for the common mortals without access to vacuum bagging and autoclaves, it would turn out to be a nightmare. The front engine lay out of a Cobra type car makes a carbon fiber chassis quite challenging. Not that it can't be done, but it just adds a very high level of complexity to the project. I think Rutan only saved 10% of the weight when they made a composite airplane. When you have to pick that weight up into the air, it becomes critical.

As for the ultimate chassis, that was not really the main focus of this project. The main focus was to make the car as cool as we possibly could and really venture into the wild unknown to make a really unique car for the customer.

I must admit that I am really starting to like the chassis. The more I look at it the more I like it--usually it is the other way around with most projects.

David
Old 06-02-2008, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

D-Cel,

No, we will deliver the car long before SEMA. The customer will be driving with lots of smiles in November.

David
Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

CSX700?

As much work as the aluminum was, I don't think I would want to try titanium!

David
Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
olddog,

A carbon fiber chassis would be stiffer and lighter...if done right. But, for the common mortals without access to vacuum bagging and autoclaves, it would turn out to be a nightmare.
You need to hook up with one of the high end performance boat builders. They have been using vacuum bagged post cured epoxy resins with both carbon fiber and kevlar for years. Very nice car btw...
Old 06-03-2008, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Our customer knows a few things about high-end performance boats! We decided on billet aluminum as it has never been done before and it is quite beautiful.

David
Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

David, I want a GT-90 replica.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 06-03-2008, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
Our customer knows a few things about high-end performance boats! We decided on billet aluminum as it has never been done before and it is quite beautiful.

David
It sure is beautiful, I am sure he will love it.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

SP01715,

Thank you for your kind words!

We have put thousands of hours into the chassis--research, design, engineering, FEA, programming, proofing, checking, fitting, and tweaking. I told our customer I wanted to make him a "no excuse" car. So, I set the bar pretty high for myself.

"No excuse" means you don't need to explain anything to anyone if they ask you a question. "Oh, well we couldn't do this or that, or whatever, because of this or that or whatever." I didn't want any of that with this car. I just wanted to make a really cool car. Judging by the drool marks left on the car by customers who have seen it, I hope we have achieved our goal. (It is very, very hard for an artist to appreciate his own work so I DO appreciate the comments.) I would even appreciate negative comments so we could make the car even better.

David
Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

The only thing negative is that I can't afford it.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

More pictures.

Sorry I haven't posted pictures in a long time. We have just been really busy around here--as usual. The pictures I am going to post will be somewhat out of order--sorry!

Here we are fitting the seat into the car. When you sit in one of these cars, the forward apex of the rear wheel is actually in FRONT of the head of the driver. The wheel base of 90 inches is extremely short. We didn't have much room to work with and so the seat area became a very difficult part of the car to design and engineer.

Last edited by David Kirkham; 06-04-2008 at 08:38 AM..
Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Here you can see the front suspension box for the car. This is a really nice shot of the push rod activated horizontally opposed shocks. You can see the transmission tunnel parts laying on top of the frame rails getting ready to be put into the car.

Last edited by David Kirkham; 06-04-2008 at 08:39 AM..
Old 06-04-2008, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

This is a shot from the right, rear wheel looking forward. You can see the enormous billet aluminum piece we had to use to "turn the corner." The 90 inch wheel base prevented us from using a rear bulkhead to carry the suspension loads forward. This was the best work-around we could come up with. This part was extremely difficult to make. Because of its size, we had to make it with a true 4 axis program. The block started out around 60 pounds (I don't remember exactly now) and ended up around 3 pounds when we were done.

Last edited by David Kirkham; 06-04-2008 at 08:43 AM..
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Here you can see we have started to put together the driver's foot box. We are also checking wheel clearances on the front tires.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

The tunnel is installed, the door hinge support is on. You can also see the rear structure above the rear bulkhead that looks like the letter "W." That supports the body, roll bar, and passenger shoulder harnesses.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Here is a shot of the rear of the car with the down tubes that support the rear structure of the body. You can also see the floor of the trunk panel has been installed.