10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-24-2006, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Some of the latest Mid-Ohio Details...

When I arrived at last nights meeting...15 minutes late (I drive the cobra), I was greeted by the regular beer swillin' club members....and 2 new guys. They were from Mid-Ohio...and stopped in to go over the event with us. It was their Senior Racing School Instructor, Tommy Byrne. Included in Tommy's bio are 5 Formula1 starts, More Indy Light wins than any driver, F-2000 champ, Formula 3 Champ, Formula Ford Champ, ...and the list goes on.

Anyway, Tommy has scripted a driving school specifically for our event and cars.

The event starts with cornering drills. He has segmented the track for specific instruction through each section. At each section, the student will learn the correct line and technique for that segment...then move on to another section. Everyone will go through this to become familiar with each part of the track before taking full laps. It's a baby-steps approach to learning the technical nuances without getting overwhelmed with info and challenges. After the cornering drills, we will go out for full laps in a lead-follow routine based on your skill level and the instructors discretion...At first on a short course...eventually leading up to the full course. Again, more baby steps.

At the meeting, Tommy checked out our Cobras in the parking lot. He gasped when he learned the power to weight ratio...his eyes got bigger as he filled with excitement and the gogs in his head started turning..to further refine and enhance our track experience in a fun and safe manner.

This is a new event for Mid-Ohio. It is hard to convey how excited they are to have us. This will be a Cobra only event...to keep it special and to maintain the high value, we are not opening this event to other clubs.

Get your cars in tip-top shape...this is gonna be a terrific event!!!

Last edited by rob frink; 05-25-2006 at 09:24 AM..
Old 05-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

You read my mind! I just posted similar:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...420#post638420

You could just tell that he was eager to get his hands on a Cobra on Mid-Ohio couldn't you??

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-24-2006, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I couldn't sleep last night! My gosh!!!, this guy has so much experience and talent!! You could see his confidence when he sat in my car...he was at home behind the wheel. I think he is more acustomed to a paddle shifter on the steering wheel...but he certainly wouldn't have any trouble with the rearward cobra lever on the tunnel. He just nodded his head and stated...."I bet it'll do 150 at the end of the back straight"

I can tell you this...I'm not going to be doing 150 in it...period!!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am with you! He can do 150, I will hang back a bit.... of course for us lesser talented folks they will be keeping the back straight speeds down from 150, thankfully! Now, if I could get in a car with him....... hmmm, maybe I will see that 150.

I remember years ago when I was Road America with him. I remember what he could do with a 15 passenger van... can't imagine what he can do with a Cobra!! I will bring a change of underwear along

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rollin' on the floor!!
Old 05-25-2006, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #20 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Just when I thought that nothing could top loads of Snakes burning down main street in London.....This will be a total new experiance for me.
Rick, good tip on bringing a extra pair or two of shorts......
John
Old 05-25-2006, 05:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

According to my insurance company, I will be watching from the "cheap seats".
Old 05-25-2006, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Manufacturing,351 SVO stroker from Bennett Racing
Not Ranked     

I think the feeling is mutual that a raceway would carve out 2 days of time for a group that they had no prior dealings with before this year. Just kinda makes it feel like an extension of the city of London. Stockpiling extra's that may need if something breaks. Can't wait!

Rick:

I remember in years past we had a counter that counted down the # of days until the start; Any chance of getting it back?

J.A.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I remember in years past we had a counter that counted down the # of days until the start; Any chance of getting it back?
I got a few complaints that it caused come crashes...computers, that is. So I took it off.

So, Officially we have 26 days, 8 hours, and 21 minutes!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 06:42 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can't begin to tell you how excited we came out of the last meeting with Mid-Ohio. After they explained how they where going to take us (particuarly the novices like me) in baby steps and build up our skills as the event progresses, I was MUCH more comfortable with signing up. Ever step, ever class, every review (they will review your in car cameras with you if you have them), every instructor at every corner is all geared to making you a better, faster, safer driver.

This is COMPLETELY new for Mid-Ohio. This is the first event of this kind for them so they started from scratch and put in a LOT of effort. They are as excited as we are... and will be! If the results are great this year, they want to set it up so we have it all to ourselves next year!

Brian, who is your insurance company? This is a SCHOOL designed to make you a better Cobra driver (read: safer) and they won't cover that? That is like not covering some on to take a defensive driving course in my book (not wanting to start a debate ). Call my agent, State Farm, Matt Simonds on High St in Columbus. Best rates I can find and I have it in writing that I can take schools in my car.

See you soon!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

Rick ~ I used to have my SPF insured with Matt. When Matt needed pics of the car I took the car to another State Farm Agent that Matt knew and they forwarded the pics to him. I checked with that local agent after I purchased the Kirkham but they said that State Farm changed their policy on replica cars and would only insure the car up to $45K (not enough).

My current policy is with Grange Insurance......runs me $375 per year with an agreed value and unlimited mileage. I think the issue Grange has is that the drivers ed is being held on a race track. I am going to follow up with my agent when he gets back from vacation next week and maybe he can pull some strings.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tug hard on those strings Brian!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com