S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin
I seem to remmeber some kind of association between Bananas and certain animals.

HHhhmmmmm.........
Frogs? Around here, a froggie banana is a popular mixed drink.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:47 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Would having just nine toes throw your balance off much ?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:03 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

heading to Austin in a bit. ya'll be good!
ttyl.

Fred... I'll be calling ya.
K
Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kristen,

Have fun in Austin. The last two days here have been sunny but with a very cold wind. Hope that your weather is perfect for the good times.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

wow, truck loaded, and i'm on my way to Sonic!!

i am 'wringing' wet from the humidity!!

can't wait to turn on the AC in the truck. David won't turn it on in the house, yet.

i'll write sunday.
ya'll be good!
K
Old 03-23-2007, 05:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You will forget all about the heat and humidity once you get to Austin and start having fun. I wish I was younger and could attend some of the events around the country. But whatever will be will be and it will all be for the best in the long run. Maybe next year at the WSCB.

Ron

Old 03-23-2007, 05:48 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Hey Guys,
I have a computer problem I don't have a clue on.

It is with my Dell Desktop.Running XP Media software.I didn't get but a few hours run time on it before the problem started.

It will ,all on it's own,go thru the normal 'shutdown'.Screen shows everything it should as if I had prompted it to go into shutdown.

Then after awhile it starts itself back up.Screen looks as if I had done it.

Then it goes thru the whole thing again &again & again until I unplug it.

I can plug it back in after a day or week and it will start back up on it's own and the whole cycle starts again.

I have checked that all components are seated and even reloaded Windows XP Media. No change.

Have y'all ever seen this happen ???

HELP !!!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

Fred,

How long does it run before it shuts down? And does the computer actually turn off or go into hibernation mode? If it takes about the same amount of time every time it would almost sound as if you have either a heating problem or an option that is doing it. Is this a new computer or something that has just started? Have you tried booting up in safe mode to see if it happens there? If not do so, and run all of your virus scans and spy ware programs while in safe mode. Also do you have System Restore with a restore point before this started? I have never had much luck with using System Restore but occasionally it will work. But if you have it and the problem continues, before going into safe mode, disable it and do a defrag. Then run your virus and spy ware scans and see if you can find anything. System Restore will store some parts of viruses and the only way to get rid of them is to flush it out. How long does it stay off before it starts back up? Also when you reloaded it, do you have the old type 2 or 3 disk set-up where you format the hard drive with one, load the system with another, and then the drivers and apps. with the other disk, or are you reloading from a partition on the hard drive?

Ron

Last edited by Ron61; 03-23-2007 at 06:30 AM..
Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Past three machines with the problem you describe have been power supplies.

Do what you will, a new PS is about $20.00 to $50.00, but that is what I had.

I do not have any spares at this time, or I would send you one.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Is there any chance that Frenchy is sticking her nose on the power button to shut down the computer? Most new Dells will shut down if you push the power button, but then Frenchy would have to jump onto the ENTER key to confirm the question to shut down!

Damn Frogs ... always getting into problems. Did you know that Bill gates has a pet frog?

Does it ever shut down in the middle of you doing something on the computer, like browsing thru CC, or does it only restart when the computer is IDLE?

If its under warranty, call DELL. You could spend half your life tracking down a problem, where a Dell tech rep could probably fix problem in a slightly shorter time frame.

You said "I didn't get but a few hours run time on it before the problem started."

What did you do during that few hours? Load any new software? If yes, remove it and see if it fixes the problem.

You said "after a while" .... is that 5 minutes, 45 minutes, 6 hours? Is the "a while time" the same duration each time it reboots?

Have Fun Fred. Its now 56 ºF outside and going to 63 ºF this afternoon, so I'm going for a ride with Turtle!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tru - if it was a power supply problem, would it go thru a "normal" shutdown procedure that Fred said? I would think it would crash immediately.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:21 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just went thru it again.

Stayed on 20 minutes.Then'windows shuting down'.
restarted itself and stayed on less than a minute
Then it TRIED to restart but before it could actually show anything on the screen,it shutdown.Ended up acting like someone was flipping a lightswitch on an off.

UNPLUGGED it to stop it.

Frenchy is banned to the backyard during this.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did a google search thru some computer geek forums and found the problem. See attached.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Darn it Fred, why do you have your PMs turned off? Anyway, what you are describing sounds more like a software problem than hardware to me. I have had a power supply go bad and the computer just stops, it doesn't go through the shutdown routine. Also I am sure that you have cleaned the inside and looked to see that the fan is working. Just how old is this computer? When you re-loaded it, did you format the drive or just do the re-load?

Ron

Old 03-23-2007, 08:07 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought it new 04/20/06.Took it out of the boxes last Sept. and set it up.Used it for several hours on the internet,really nothing more than ClubCobra.Shut it down.
Couple of months later (Nov.) I got a APC for it and hooked that in.Working just fine.Not much more than a few hrs. use..shut it off.
In 01/07 I noticed it was coming on/off by itself while I happened to be in the room with it.Unplugged it.
A few days later I plugged it in to try and see what was going on.I noticed then and again this past weekend while looking at the power options that it said that it had lost communication with the APC.

Any chance that this 'lost communication with APC' could be causing this ? It is still doing it while the desktop is plugged into a powerstrip.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Disconnect the UPS. Open up your power supply option page and make sure the UPS setting is for NONE when the UPS is not in use. If you have not changed it to NONE, do so, hit apply, reboot and see what happens.
Attached Images

Last edited by wtm442; 03-23-2007 at 08:25 AM..
Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

plugged it back in and it stayed on long enough to just get to the ps option page,then shutdown again.Did it before I could select 'none'.
Started on/off loop all over again.unplugged it.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try again, and type faster this time! Turtle says HI. He knows computers and put a hex on yours.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What do you think the odds are the the APC or it's software is causing this ?

Frenchy says Turtle must be HI.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Fred,

If you loaded the APC software, that would be the first thing I would suspect. I have all of my stuff on APCs but won't load the software. You need to try and get the computer booted up, in SAFE MODE and see if you can remove the APC software. If you can, then do a regular boot up and see what it does. If the APC software is the problem it will continue to be so no matter what you have it plugged into.

Ron