Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
Weber "look alike" FI, like the Dynatek will set you back around $10,000 with install, dyno and misc parts. Ask Eric (GreatAsp) and I'm sure he's close to or over that figure with his BB setup. Webers, on the other hand, around $4,000 all in with no special fuel delivery or electronic parts. My bad, I did the install myself, so figure that cost in too if you need someone else to do it.
I suppose if you are a "checkbook builder" and drop it off at a shop and say "I want Webers or I want FI" that is true. For us do-it-yourselfers, the cost is a lot less. By the time you but all the pieces to fine tune a Weber set-up, the FI is a lot cheaper.

Jim
Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4252,aluminum body, 427 side-oiler, Webers
Not Ranked     

I just got back from a cruise in the Cobra. There is nothing in the world (at least to me) like the feel, response, and SOUND of a set of Webers on a big block pulling up through the gears. Wide-open throttle will rip your face off!

Believe it or not, I've never used an LM-1. I know a lot of tuners swear by them but I'm an old school kind of guy and rely on throwback methods of getting my setup correct. It may take me a bit longer to get there but I feel a bit more connected to my engine.

I also have no first-hand experience with Weber look-alike fuel injection, however, a couple of people I know who have worked with them (Billy Andrews at HRE is one) said those systems are not strictly bolt-on setups and can be more frustrating to dial in than a set of Webers. I'm sure those systems perform OK once they're properly installed but it's hard to imagine FI giving me more performance than my 48's. The car is barely controllable when I boot it and that's with 3.31 gears and a Toploader.

What can I say, I think Webers are *****in'.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, Weber-equipped Cobras won at least two European hillclimbs in 1965 on their way to the GT championship, the Freiburg and the Rossfeld. Altitude obviously didn't hinder them way back when. It's all in the setup.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraviper_99 View Post
BTW, Weber-equipped Cobras won at least two European hillclimbs in 1965 on their way to the GT championship, the Freiburg and the Rossfeld. Altitude obviously didn't hinder them way back when. It's all in the setup.
First, they didn't have a A/F ratio compensating FI in 1965 and if they did, it would be far superior to any sort of carb. There was only mechanical FI and it was in its infancy. Kind of like saying how great bias ply tires are before radials were invented.
Second, no carb. works perfectly at sea level AND at 6000'.

Jim

Last edited by jwd; 05-25-2009 at 08:59 PM..
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic ND 427 big block 427 ford with tri power I know the 427 didnt come with tri power just wanted something different. 9 inc. ford rear end top loader four wheel dic brakes.
Not Ranked     

I think all the info on the webers is great,all have a good points. I think Jim #2 point about sea level and and alitude is right on. I put a 911 motor with webers in my VW buss 1971 and it almost die one summer going over going to the sun road in Montana. Thats the summer I melted two exhaust Values off 106.degrees and 9,000 ft Air cooled and all Alum. didn"t help
I did not tune my webers back then and didn"t have a feel for how they work. I do no that ever thing fast in the olds days had webers on them. My first ride in Cobra was in small block 289 with webers and that car flat pin you in the seat.
My son who work on a funny car team for two season say carbs are like drlling holes in a wood block and pouring gas in., and he is very good with carbs. FI is the way to go, but the price has to come down for the average guy to have one. I just got my webers for my big block ford and am looking forward to getting them right.

Andy
Old 05-26-2009, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The point about the primitive Lucas/Rochester fuel injection units in the 1960's is well taken, however, there were other conventional carburetors available to Shelby back then which could flow plenty of CFM, even more so in dual-quad configuration. Competition 427 Cobras ran a single Holley, as did L88 Corvettes. Shelby's guys still chose to run the Webers.

I can only speak from personal experience. I have never driven my car from where I live, Cape Cod--which is dead sea level--to a 6000 foot altitude. But I have driven to the White Mountains of New Hampshire and the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts on numerous occasions and never had a serious drop in performance. Granted, the disparity in altitude is more like 3000 feet, so higher destinations could require adjusting the setup. I would welcome the challenge.

Andrew, you will be thrilled with those Webers once you get them tuned up, especially if you're any kind of authenticity freak like me. Good luck and get ready for a real thrill ride.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

So how do you go down this path and finish without a $$$ box full of jets, emulsion/choke tubes, etc.? It's bad enough spending four grand (plus) for what is essentially carburation. I love reading about how you guys sort this out, but the price of admission honestly scares the crap out of me.

And BTW, virtually all forms of carburation suffer at higher altitudes when tuned at/near sea level. I wouldn't expect Webers to be any different in that regard.

-Dean
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Carb 302
Not Ranked     

I also have to question the initial expense of Weber's plus the added expense of extra jets, choke tubes and whatever other $$ items are needed to get it operating correctly. I understand the "WOW" effect when he hood is opened but if the effect is that important, why cover them up with a hood? It was mentioned that the originals raced with the Weber's rather than a carburetor and I suppose there is an advantage in the racing environment however that environment rarely goes below 3K rpm. I might see 6K for 10 seconds on a long freeway on ramp a dozen times a year and for that my $350.00 Holley DP does just fine. As far as efficiency goes, carburetors are pretty much a somewhat controlled fuel leak compared to FI.

I understand the desire of the Weber's and appreciate the visual effect but I really have a hard time wraping my mind around the performance gain over a 4bbl in a street vehicle.

Just another opinion.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraviper_99 View Post
The point about the primitive Lucas/Rochester fuel injection units in the 1960's is well taken, however, there were other conventional carburetors available to Shelby back then which could flow plenty of CFM, even more so in dual-quad configuration. Competition 427 Cobras ran a single Holley, as did L88 Corvettes. Shelby's guys still chose to run the Webers.

I can only speak from personal experience. I have never driven my car from where I live, Cape Cod--which is dead sea level--to a 6000 foot altitude. But I have driven to the White Mountains of New Hampshire and the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts on numerous occasions and never had a serious drop in performance. Granted, the disparity in altitude is more like 3000 feet, so higher destinations could require adjusting the setup. I would welcome the challenge.

Andrew, you will be thrilled with those Webers once you get them tuned up, especially if you're any kind of authenticity freak like me. Good luck and get ready for a real thrill ride.

One of the reasons for the single Holley was they had the center hung float, where the dual Holley's required the shorter carburators that have the side hung floats. The center hung floats are not affected by the cornering forces as much as the side hung floats.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
John,

Go with a FI system that looks like the Webers. Better performance, simple tuning and 99% wouldn't notice the difference. Sorry Jim. I like your set-up too but after you get it all dialed in, take a trip over the mountains and see what happens.

Jim (TOO)
I realize that FI is the way to go, but I hate electronics and having to tune a car with a laptop computer.

One of the reasons I love this car is it's simple and I can work on it. Reminds me of my younger days.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The late Ak Miller used to run a small-block Ford powered special in the Pike's Peak Hill Climb for years. Won it many times. He ran Webers. Holleys are great carburetors and we've all had them. Shelby ran Webers on the Cobras and Ford GT's. Are Webers simple? No. Are they for everyone? No. Are they more expensive? Yes. What it all comes down to is personal preference like any other issue regarding high performance cars. The bottom line is I'm happy I chose the Webers and feel it was right for me. It took some time to get them dialed in but the rewards, at least, for me, were well worth the time and expense. And I totally agree with you Silverback 51 as to the overall satisfaction of fine tuning an engine by the seat of your pants. That's the way we learned how to do it years ago and it's becoming a lost art.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

Very pleased with my Webers. Only wish I had known about the Berg 58's, (now available up to 61's), for more flow for this engine:

Alan Sorkey
Shreveport, LA
CSX4083
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

It's never too late Alan.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I suppose if you are a "checkbook builder" and drop it off at a shop and say "I want Webers or I want FI" that is true. For us do-it-yourselfers, the cost is a lot less. By the time you but all the pieces to fine tune a Weber set-up, the FI is a lot cheaper.

Jim

Jim, Sorry you are way off on that. The Webers, manifold and linkage, with fuel lines and blocks and synchrometer was $3750 including tax. I think they've gone up a little now but that's what I paid. All the extra parts I needed came from various sources on eBay...some from Italy and some from California. You'd be surprised at how many businesses sell the exact same stuff on eBay they sell through catalogs, and give you about a 30-40% discount.
All my extra jets, e-tubes, 40mm chokes and fuel pressure regulator totalled around $250. That's $4,000 in my book and is no where near the admission price of Dynatek and TWM. A couple thou less??, and that doesn't start to add in the return fuel lines, high output pump(s), high pressure regulator required for EFI. Plus I am told a dyno pull or two or three is mandatory for EFI. I think the EFI setups cost a lot more than Webers. Like others already said on this thread, the Webers worked for me for a lot less without electronic stuff in the engine bay.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Quote:
the Webers worked for me for a lot less without electronic stuff in the engine bay

Very well put!

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-26-2009, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

in real life driving carburetor engines are not that finicky when driven to & from the mountains. Last year I drove my GT-350 from TX 600' elevation to NM 7000' elevation and back over 3 day trip. I was all set to change jets once I hit the mountains, but never felt a performance drop-off. I did have to bump up the idle speed at the 3000' elevation mark. Carb was the original 715 cfm Holley.

Z. Ray

Last edited by zrayr; 05-27-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokndad View Post
Jim, Sorry you are way off on that. The Webers, manifold and linkage, with fuel lines and blocks and synchrometer was $3750 including tax. I think they've gone up a little now but that's what I paid. All the extra parts I needed came from various sources on eBay...some from Italy and some from California. You'd be surprised at how many businesses sell the exact same stuff on eBay they sell through catalogs, and give you about a 30-40% discount.
All my extra jets, e-tubes, 40mm chokes and fuel pressure regulator totalled around $250. That's $4,000 in my book and is no where near the admission price of Dynatek and TWM. A couple thou less??, and that doesn't start to add in the return fuel lines, high output pump(s), high pressure regulator required for EFI. Plus I am told a dyno pull or two or three is mandatory for EFI. I think the EFI setups cost a lot more than Webers. Like others already said on this thread, the Webers worked for me for a lot less without electronic stuff in the engine bay.
Tom (Rokndad) makes everything look easy. He's like a modern day "MacGyver" or.... was it it "MacGruber."

Parts alone for the TWM or Dynatek setup is about $8,000, once you buy all the odds and sods, and as Tom said the Weber setup is approximately $4,000 with some judicious buying. Sometime in the future, I would like to move to one or the other, but it sounds like either approach is not easy to install and tune.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Sometime in the future, I would like to move to one or the other, but it sounds like either approach is not easy to install and tune.
Dean Lampe has the Dynatek set-up on his GT-40 that has been featured in several magazines. He has been quoted saying it is easy to install and simple to tune. I'm not that crazy about all the electronics but if you've ever seen someone (that knows what they are doing) tune an electronic FI, you'd be impressed.
A LM-1 and a laptop are all you need. You can richen up the idle, lean it out a hair between 2500 & 3000 RPM and fatten it up between 4500 & 6000 RPM (or any other adjustments you want) in a couple of mins. with a few clicks of the mouse and you never get dirty. That's the nice thing about it, perfect adjustments throughout the whole RPM range and it compensates for altittude changes. That's not possible with carbs.

Jim

Last edited by jwd; 05-27-2009 at 09:17 AM..
Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Dean Lampe has the Dynatek set-up on his GT-40 that has been featured in several magazines. He has been quoted saying it is easy to install and simple to tune. I'm not that crazy about all the electronics but if you've ever seen someone (that knows what they are doing) tune an electronic FI, you'd be impressed.
A LM-1 and a laptop are all you need. You can richen up the idle, lean it out a hair between 2500 & 3000 RPM and fatten it up between 4500 & 6000 RPM (or any other adjustments you want) in a couple of mins. with a few clicks of the mouse and you never get dirty. That's the nice thing about it, perfect adjustments throughout the whole RPM range. That's not possible with carbs.

Jim
Yes, I read the article on Dean's RCR, but anecdotally, the only Dynateks that have had few, if any, issues or were "easy", have been small block installations. Other than Eric's (GreatAsp) FE installation and tune, which appears to have been thorny, I haven't heard of any other FE installations, or at least FE installations that have gone smoothly.

But for the installation and tuning difficulties, I think I would lean more to the Dynatek for my car. For the moment, I'm not ready to be a "trail-blazer."
Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Tom (Rokndad) makes everything look easy. He's like a modern day "MacGyver" or.... was it it "MacGruber."

Parts alone for the TWM or Dynatek setup is about $8,000, once you buy all the odds and sods, and as Tom said the Weber setup is approximately $4,000 with some judicious buying. Sometime in the future, I would like to move to one or the other, but it sounds like either approach is not easy to install and tune.
Yeah, it's Macgruber....just waiting now for it to blow up. All I'm missing is Kristen Wieg. Rodney, you need to come down south with your car, and we'll put it on together, get it tuned, and you can drive home. Just think of it as a vacation.

Tom