17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-31-2013, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five w/ 408 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default CA Registration Woes

Hi All! New to this forum but I desperately need some good advice. Long story: My dad puchased a used Factory Five Cobra that was titled out in Oklahoma as a kit car. He went to the CA DMV at the beginning of the year and got an SPCN certificate and was in the process of jumping through the hoops to get the car titled in CA when he passed away. Now, I am trying to continue this process but can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone of authority. The BAR says they do not need to inspect it, the CHP does that. The CHP inspection officer wants to see receipts for engine, trans, etc., which I don't have since he purchased it from a guy out of state. I showed him the out of state title and he said that was insufficient. I tried contacting the original owner/builder but his number is no longer in service and I have yet to get a response from a snail mail letter I sent to him. The folks at the DMV still insist it needs to be inspected by the BAR.
This running around in circles is incredibly annoying and a giant waste of my time. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I suggest going to the DMV in Thousand Oaks. They seem to be most knowledgeable about the SB100.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

airobats, the BAR only does smog. You will need brakes and light check at a B&L station.
Try calling FF they might have some updated info. Also try the FF Forum, at ffcars.com
Tell your story with the guys name, maybe someone knows him, and yes you do need trans and engine info. The DMV in Glendale was pretty good with me, but that was 6 years ago.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Airobats...you have a PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

As I recall, the steps are:
1. Go to the DMV and start the registration process. You are registering it as a 19XX or 20XX SPCN (Special Construction Vehicle). Don't register it as a 1966 Roadster, Cobra, Ford, etc., even if the OK registration says that. When you say "SPCH Certificate" I take it to mean the SB100 certificate. You will need one of those from the DMV so the vehicle is smog exempt. It is the DMV that will need a bill of sale (purchased car) or receipts for major items (built car). I don't recall the CHP asking for those, but I may be wrong.
Also get a TOP (temporary operating permit) from them so you can legally drive the car around to the various appointments. Try to get as long a TOP as you can. I was able to get a 90-day TOP, but they try to give you short ones.
2. You do have to go for a BAR appointment. There they will test a few basics, lights, horn, etc, but more importantly, they will smog test your car. It should fail miserably and with your SB100 in hand, they will affix a SB100 sticker indicating your car is smog exempt.
3. Go to CHP
4. Drive safe and enjoy your new toy!
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 10-31-2013, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

airobats,

From "Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles".
"NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued a $5,000 or more."

SCPN is for registration/title.
SB100 is for emission.

DMV handles the paperwork and fees for registration/titling.
CHP verifies the VINs (engine, transmission, body).
Brake and Lamp Inspection is just that, for the Brakes and Lamps.
BAR handles the emission testing/VIR/SB100.

DMV recommends this order CHP, Brake and Lamp, and BAR.

Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles-SPCN

Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control-SB100

Hope all this information I provided will help you.

Last edited by Rich A; 10-31-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I have a 9AM appointment at the Thousand Oaks DMV Friday morning (tomorrow). My Cobra is registered as a 1965 Ford Cobra. I will bring all my paperwork, including current title showing a 1965 Ford Cobra, old title showing a 2007 Kit Car, my bill of sale when I purchased it in 2010, the original purchase and assembly documents the previous owner had, my current insurance and the current Washington State registration. I was told there were probably still SB100 available out of the original 500 and if there were not any left, I could get a 60-day temporary permit. I like the suggestion for a 90-day permit. The BAR guy in Sacramento said after the DMV I need to go to a BAR inspection location. I'll also tell them it is my birthday Friday and hopefully things will go smoothly! This thread is timely for me, thanks.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
...The BAR guy in Sacramento said after the DMV I need to go to a BAR inspection location...
WardL,
Without a California CHP Assigned VIN first, your might be causing yourself a paperwork problem later.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went to the DMV and as the inspector was filling out the paperwork I was explaining to her about the Washington law letting me register the 2007 model Cobra as a 1965. I thought I was VERY clear it was not a 1965. I go inside to finish the paperwork and pretty soon they are handing me license plates for a 1965. I had momentary visions of me really owning a 1965 Cobra that would never need to be smogged or apply for the SB-100 exemption. Then I woke up and thought about the fraud implications others had warned me about. About 45 minutes later I was leaving DMV looking for a CHP inspection for my SPCN vehicle. Five days later I got it inspected by the CHP. A little strange, the officer wanted me to stay in the lobby of the station while he inspected the vehicle. I had the keys and I have no idea what all he looked at. Next up is the $100 Brake and Light inspection... Ah-oh! They probably expect my parking brake to work! So I had to fix the parking brake. It is not so easy to find a place that will do the B&L inspection. How can it possibly take an hour? One step at a time....
Old 11-07-2013, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

--glad to hear you are on the road to recovery sort o speak.

The SPCNS process is not that well known within many DMVs and when CHP inspects cars they hate being watched...for some reason...like they want to hide a pack of Zig-Zag wrappers in your car or something....who knows.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

WardL,
Here are the Brake and Lamp inspection stations near you.
HTH

A & D Automotive 2050 Sinaloa Rd. Simi Valley 93065-1834
Airport Auto Repair 2368 N. Oxnard Blvd. Unit 1 Oxnard 93036
Arceos Smog Automotive 568 Pacific Ave. Oxnard 93030-7307
Bill's Quality Auto Care 2016 Donville Ave. Simi Valley 93065
Dikes -Thornton Automotive 3111 E. Main St. Ventura 93003
McCoy's Automotive Inc. 104 N. Palm Ave. Santa Paula 93060
Precision Automotive 141 S. Oxnard Blvd. Oxnard 93030-5625
R K Smog Service 341 N. Dawson Dr. #B Camarillo 93012-8007
Shelley's Precision Auto Center Inc. 901 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd. Thousand Oaks 91360
Steve's Auto Service Inc. 4160 Saviers Rd. Oxnard 93033-7133
Tilly's Auto Service 2237 Thompson Blvd. Ventura 93001
Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

years ago, i posted this message to the BB describing the CA registration process. I hope it will be helpful to you.

SB100 newbie question
Old 01-28-2014, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got the Cobra all SPCN/SB-100 registered before I received my driver's license! We went to the DMV to get CA Driver's License back in October. Wife got her new license within a week. Mine didn't come. Went to the DMV and they said it was mailed out the same time, but returned as undeliverable. DMV mailed another DL to me. No show. I go down a third time and same story. They mailed it out and it was returned. Go to the Post Office and talk to the SUPERVISOR! He says: "Gee, it doesn't work that way". Meaning the PO usually DELIVERS mail to my mail box. REALLY? On the third try my driver's license shows up in my mail box. In the mean time I got my Cobra all registered and pretty sure I pissed off my mail man. I think the problem was with the DMV, but really don't know. I've been getting all my other mail (How do I know that???). Oh, wife got her voter registration at the same time (through the DMV) and mine never came pointing my suspicious thinking back to the DMV. No matter what DMV you go to, it is good to have the procedures to make sure the DMV does everything correctly.

Tags
ca registration bar dmv

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: