Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   289 progress........ (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/102466-289-progress.html)

1985 CCX 07-20-2014 05:10 PM

Jetting

Idle jet 65
Idle jet holder 120
Main jet 165
Emulsion F11
Air corrector 110
choke 42

Been playing around a bit changed from original Shelby comp spec as it seemed rich. Added air to compensate. Kinda stuck till I can run under load.

1985 CCX 07-20-2014 05:12 PM

Special Thanks
Acton Custom

Nick came by to help, we deduced a plan and it looks like this might be the week for brakes then ride down the road.....

Nick and Bonnie 1 Million ;)"THANKS":cool:

mickmate 07-20-2014 08:12 PM

Jeff great to see you and the fruits of your labor. That is one awesome little car! We'll soon have it trundling down the road. I'm delighted with the ready to run hit the key state it's in already.

*13* 07-21-2014 01:07 AM

One thing I can tell you. Mine ran obviously rich at idle until I got that circuit jetted down. Even when the idle screw told me it was at its best setting. I mean, the exhaust was enough to make you have to walk away. I'm running stock chokes 35mm??? Can't remember at the moment. My mains are at 140. My pistons aren't high compression but I have the old small chamber heads. Every build is different, I'm sure you'll find your sweet spots.

1985 CCX 07-21-2014 07:50 AM

Great information, Webers are very engine specific I think.
Looking to get on the road this week.

*13* 07-21-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 1311028)
Great information, Webers are very engine specific I think.
Looking to get on the road this week.

Yes they are. I'm curious to see what jetting you end up with. I'm still working out my air bleeds. I haven't run the engine hard enough to get a feel as to how rich it is up there, yet

1985 CCX 07-23-2014 09:28 AM

Ok here is my dilemma

Baer Calipers
Earls banjo fitting 3/8 or 10mm
Copper and alloy crush washers, no mixing just
M10x1.0 banjo bolts

3/4 leak under pressure, granted slightly but leaks..... eat paint :eek:

Only legit suggestion I have is add thread sealer "ARP" to the bolts and retighten using new crush washers.

Has anyone else encountered this ? :confused:

Fullchat289 07-23-2014 10:21 AM

Maybe disassemble all the joints and make sure everything is super clean and reassemble using new washers...are you using all Earls stuff, including the washers/bolts? Just asking for consistancy's sake. Could be something simple like there's a speck of grit in between one of the sealing surfaces...??

- Allen.

1985 CCX 07-23-2014 11:08 AM

Allen

I am using Earls banjo fitting
Both Earls and another banjo bolts (Earls up front) Only one sealed is non-Earls
Both Earls alloy washer and another brand copper

Have taken apart 2x and still issue.
Huge torque on the caliper, afraid to strip it.....

Ahhhh............:CRY:

1985 CCX 07-23-2014 11:13 AM

Anyone else have issues with PBR (Baer) calipers?

CompClassics 07-23-2014 11:36 AM

Jeff
I sent you a text message. John

1985 CCX 07-23-2014 01:31 PM

John

Great review, I will look it all over.....................
Great to have your support

1985 CCX 07-24-2014 05:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is what I am looking at

Caliper
Front using alloy washers
Rear using copper washers

mickmate 07-24-2014 07:27 AM

A banjo washer isn't just a copper washer as you're finding out. The best ones have rings around them and are also softer so they seal two ways. I've already sent you the even better solution.

1985 CCX 07-27-2014 11:32 AM

The time has finally arrived.....................

THE CAR IS MOVING AND STOPPING ON ITS OWN.................. :3DSMILE:

Many thanks to all the great friends that assisted, helped and advised.

John Bessey, Comp Classics
Karl Davis, Weber advise
Dennis Olthoff, SPF North Carolina
Brian Johnson and Pat Connelly, mechanics
Joe Stanley, Ford guy
PBR Tech

SPECIAL THANKS:
Nick Acton, Acton Custom ;)
The original plan this weekend was to drive the gold Cobra down the road and to my wedding reception, bride in navigation seat. Time ran out and leaks made it look grim. I finally came to the realization there was no Cobra at the reception.
Then came Acton Custom to the rescue. Not only did Nick get his hands on some special fittings to overcome and casting defects in the calipers, he came late Friday night, while I started nuptials, and did the installation.

Bonnie by his side, they sealed, cleaned, bled the brakes and put the car back on the floor for use. I arrived back home at 12am to find a great friend had added a great moment to one of the most important days in my life.

Huge hit! ;)

The car is awesome and with some alignment adjustment and inner panels this little Cobra is ready for the road.

THANKS NICK! :MECOOL:

maurice19 07-27-2014 11:53 AM

Congratulations, Jeff

Maurice

CompClassics 07-27-2014 12:04 PM

Your welcome, Jeff!

jolsen42 07-27-2014 02:54 PM

Nick Acton, you are truely "The Man". :D

John O

*13* 07-27-2014 04:21 PM

So awesome to hear! I hope I get to see it in person, some day!

Mongoose930 07-27-2014 06:32 PM

Congratulations Jeff on the wedding and getting the Cobra on the road!!!

Nick - Great job as always.