Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 11:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

John,

That half door is a great idea and the extra room will make it more comfortable. The 20 inch step over isn't much at all. I am really going to be looking forward to the pictures when you have everything finished.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-07-2019, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

How about a GrandSport edition? Door cutouts and "rocket fuel" gas cap added.

Ron61, xlr8tr and jehammer1952 like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 01-08-2019 at 07:11 AM..
Old 01-07-2019, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

ohhh now thats SWEET. Love the headrest fairing.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you Buzz! What you are able to do is amazing.

While in the mock up stage I played with both a single and double head fairing. At the time my seating position was higher. The combination of that, the short rear deck and the angle of the deck resulted in the head fairing (s) looking a little too tall. IMO. Now with the lower seating position I think it would look good. A cut down windshield would look good with the head fairing.

Since this car is not a replica I think that it could be finished many different ways. I can see my self spending my free time developing different trim pieces. Head fairings, spoilers, vents, a targa, a Coupe, etc. I'm starting off with a simple, plain version. I think the car looks good enough without the add ons to stand on its own.

I'm excited by the possibilities. Having fun.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by john chesnut View Post
I think the car looks good enough without the add ons to stand on its own.
Yep - that it most certainly does! Couldn't help having a bit of fun with it though.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-12-2019, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Slow week working on the car. It's freezing cold in the Adirondacks!

I spent 4 hours just on the side pipe mounting brackets. Very frustrating.

I weighed the car this morning. I have racing scales to do that with. It's at 1624lbs right now. This includes: frame, body, windshield, seats, seat belts, pedals, complete drive train, starter, driveshaft, complete suspension, rotors, brake calipers, pads, shocks/springs, steering, e brake, shifter, headers, side pipes, radiator, fan, radiator hoses, alternator, carb, fuel pump, fuel tank, wheels/tires, fuel tank, fuel pump.

What it needs: aluminum skins to close in the frame, fuel lines/fittings, brake lines/fittings, fluids, upholstery, sun visors, heater/defroster, windshield wiper system, lights, gauges, switches, paint, wiring.

Last edited by john chesnut; 01-12-2019 at 12:35 PM..
Old 04-06-2019, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This week is the first week that I've worked on the car in a long time. My wife and I have been busy taking care of our respective mothers. I continue to have health issues. My energy level is low. I'm rethinking offering kits. The bodies are easy but I don't think that I have it in me to build more frames.

My trademark attorney had assured me that "Chesnut Wildcat" would be approved by the trademark office. It wasn't. Now he wants more money to argue for it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I have finished welding a second frame. I've cut and test fit the aluminum panels that will skin the frame. Yesterday I painted it. I plan on starting assembly tomorrow.

I live in a log chalet on the top of a small mountain in the Adirondacks. I've spent most of the winter in my chair, reading, and staring out my windows. I have a 180 degree view from my recliner. Peaceful.

olddog, Gaz64, Jaydee and 2 others like this.

Last edited by john chesnut; 04-06-2019 at 09:39 AM..
Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Except for a few details I have finished the aluminum work. In the next few days I'll be cleaning and painting parts. Then it will be assembly time!

My goal is to have the car roadworthy by the end of the month. Then I have to go through the NY registration process. I understand that can take awhile. I want to drive it this summer.

vntgspd and jehammer1952 like this.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Dang, you do NICE WORK!

Wildcat---Taint yer Dad's Buick
Old 04-17-2019, 01:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

John

Shoot to get it done for the May 25 planning meeting and 1st run of the Green Mt Cobras. Rosie's in Middlebury at 10:30. You're always welcome. Does that thing have a Power Glide or an Allison? Can't remember if it's set up to cruise or pull stumps....

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 04-21-2019, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tim, Thank you for the invite and open arms of the VT Cobra Club. If nothing major comes up I should have the car road worthy with in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully NY will schedule my inspection before May 25th and I will pass on the first attempt. I want to make the first run with you guys.

I've cleaned parts and have started assembly. Yesterday I installed the engine and trans. The engine is a lowly 305 that's been upgraded with new Vortec heads, 9.5 pistons, and a mild cam. I think that it's in the 280hp range. It came out of a 1983 Camaro. The original owner put 30,000 miles on the car then did the engine build. He only ran it a couple of thousand miles and then pulled it and installed an LS engine. I purchased it for $600 which included the flywheel, clutch and accessories. When I can afford it I will upgrade the engine.

The Trans is a Richmond T10. The most common C4 Vette rear gear is 2:59 to 1. That's whats in this car. With that gear overdrive isn't needed. The trans only weighs 70-75lbs and it's compact. That's an advantage in this small car.

I purchased some tall aluminum valve covers to dress up the engine a bit.

The engine/trans is a tight fit. But, I was able to build the frame around them so that everything is easily accessible for maintenance and repairs. The frame is only 46 inches wide (43 inside). It's small. I put the frame at ride height and put the body on this week to make sure that the fuel tank can be installed and removed with it on and to look at tail light placement. I had forgotten how small and low this car is. I'm happy with it.

jehammer1952 likes this.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by john chesnut View Post
Thank you for all of the comments.

I'm going to try and make simple bumpers out of 1 inch tubing that will follow the body contour. They will be small and removable. I'm hoping NY will pass them. I wonder how they deal with the FF 818, Coupe, and GTM.

I happily ended up with a lot of family visiting over the holidays. I'm just getting back to the car. I missed getting it to the chassis shop this week. Hopefully next week.

I'm trying to use inexpensive, readily available parts for this build. I'm using headers from Patriot. I also purchased their 48 inch side pipes. They will hook up with an off the shelf 90 degree tube. Tomorrow I'll put the body back on and mount the side pipes.

I've used internal clutch slaves in the past. I hate it when they fail and I have to pull the transmission. For this build I'm using an external "pull" slave. It looks like it's in the way. But, it's not.

I put the frame at ride height to check the shock mounts. (60 percent available for compression.)
Everything is looking great.
Is there any reason you couldn’t hide the bumpers inside the bodywork? Every new car does these days.
jehammer1952 likes this.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I"ve talked to an inspector at NY DMV. I'm trying to get them to pass my car with out external bumpers. He told me that they are required. But, I found on the FF forum that a builder of a GTM was able to get them to pass his car without external bumpers. He had to build some extra frame work under the body work. My car certainly has a stout frame under the body work. I've copied the pictures of the work done on the GTM and the name of the inspector that passed it. I'll submit these with my application and hopefully I'll get passed too.

I've finished assembling the suspension and steering. I designed the car to have a 5inch ride height with 60% of shock travel available at that height. I'm happy to say that I accomplished that. The car is sitting a little high in the pictures. Final adjustment will be done once final assembly is complete and I'm in the car.

I set the tub on the chassis to double check tire clearance. All good there. I'm also playing with tail lights. I have a full set of Lucas Winged surface mounted lights. These would meet NY's requirement for marker lights.

I have wiring, plumbing, and some engine assembly to complete. I'm hoping to have a drive able car by the end of next week.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm continuing assembly.

I bought this engine used on the cheap. I changed the intake and was pleasantly surprised by how clean the engine is.

I have the radiator mounted in front of the steering rack. The air passing through will be diverted to the sides of the chassis. I will be sealing the area under the radiator with an aluminum panel.

Most electric cooling fans are mounted directly to the radiator with ties that slide through the fins. I don't like doing that so I welded on some brackets that the fan bolts to. Then I made brackets to mount the radiator. The self tapping screws that you see will be replaced with bolts.

You will notice that I have the radiator inlet/outlets facing forward. This allowed me to use an inexpensive Chevy radiator. The hoses are routed in front of the radiator and over the top of it to the engine. When the hood closes the interior bulkheads seal to the sides of the radiator.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Nice workmanship John. Hopefully everything works out with DMV on the inspections and registration process.

Jim
Old 05-02-2019, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim.

I now have a functioning Ebrake. The cables run under the diagonal bars in the rear. I'll zip tie them to the bars.

I've finished installing the headers and side pipes. I'm using readily available and inexpensive parts. Patriot Vortec truck headers connected to a 90 into the Patriot side pipes.

The fuel tank is mounted and as of tonight I have the fuel line run. The tank is a standard Hot Rod tank from Speedway. I made sure that the body can be mounted while the tank is installed. And, I made sure that the tank can be removed with out removing the body.

lotus7guy likes this.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Next update

I have the fuel system hooked up, the pedals completed, throttle cable hooked up, brakes plumbed and working. To get it drivable it needs gauges, wiring, lights, and wipers. I hope to have those items completed this week.

Today I rolled it outside to take a look at it. I fit perfectly in the car. Very comfortable.

Its a little low in the back and a little high in the front. I'll make the final adjustments when I'm finished with everything.

IMO it looks better in person. I'm really happy with how its turning out.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

John,

Making good progress. What are you planning on doing for defrosters? From what I recall, unless it has changed, NY requires defrosters for the windshield. Would hate to have you show up for your inspection and have them refuse you for that.Much easier to install now then retrofit later.

Jim
Old 05-05-2019, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim, I think that I have the NY requirements covered.
- Sun visors. This was easy. Just bought new ones from Ebay for the MGB windshield.
- MGB 3 wiper system
- I'm going to have small bumpers on the car. (They'll be removable
- I have 2 weather proof power outlets that I'll put in the car. I have 2 electric heater/defroster units that will be in the car.
- I'm going to have a padded dash cover.
- I'm using Lucas Winged external lights all around. Since these mount externally I think they will cover the marker light requirements.
- I have back up lights that will be automatically triggered by a slave switch activated by the shifter.
- Aluminum license plate holder with built in light.
- Cobra style side mirrors and center mirror.
- 4 way flasher
- 5 point seat belts

I can't wait to try and fit the MGB convertible top frame to the car. I'm going to need a top. I plan to drive to Alaska in this car.

Last edited by john chesnut; 05-05-2019 at 06:42 PM..
Old 05-06-2019, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

John,

I agree, for an Alaska trip a top would be important! Perhaps a cruise control would be nice to help avoid money hungry jurisdictions on a long trip

I really love the looks and details of this car.

I might have missed it, but where did you mount the battery? And what are your latest corner weights?

Lee

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: