S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 2.76 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC427, 427DartSHP
Not Ranked     

What a journey! Congratulations on your effort and thank you for sharing it!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     
Default Scratch build at 100 miles

Yea, spend five years building a car, spend countless hours making sure everything is the way you want it. Only to have it kick you butt for weeks trying to getting it to run right. I'm really starting to rethink my choice of computer management. The piggyback tuner is not playing well with the ECU from the Mark VIII. While I have the car running rather well, it doesn't stay that way it keeps losing the tune, and I have stop and reload the tune. It is truly getting old. I still have put 100 miles on the car and not having driven one before I only got my first ride in one just before my car was drivable, wow this thing is fun.

Now for the issues:

No mechanical issues other than the one brake hang early on. This thing seams to hold together well

alignment- I really could use a good one would like to find someone willing to come down and help me out on this one (have to do this race car style all hiem-joint pickup points)

Ride height- This one I'm still not sure of. I set the body up higher than the plans I had placed the body. So I think the car can be lowered but the tires will not tuck into the wells like others. but it still needs to be lower need new oil pan first along with some shorter shocks.

Fuel pump, Holy crap! Now I heard that external in-line pumps made noise but wow it is way loud like neighbors hear it over the exhaust. This will get special attention over the winter I will isolate it from anything it is connected to with flexible mounts and hoses.

Steering- This car handles like a dump truck, power steering is in it's future if the alignment doesn't help, and with no room for a pump we'll be looking at electric option.

Interior- This will be on the list of things to finish before the snow melts sound deadener and carpet along with door panels and dash. also I will be plugging up the holes from the engine compartment the added heat has been nice this fall but would make for an uncomfortable summer.

Titling journey has begun and I have received the notice of inspection needed, three weeks earlier than they said it would take, go figure roasters and snow don't mix. They will wait till spring for inspection like I told them when I applied. My plates are good till next Sept.

Patrick

Well, it occurs to me that perhaps not all of the modifications I made are technically 'street legal'

Nothing good ever happened after this statement;
Hey Moe watch this!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

Hi Patrick

Thank you for 100 miles report

@Steering;
when i built my first cobra from kit 13 years ago i go with manual steering
but, I've had power steering in my current scratch built it's fine. because of hydrovac brake booster steering is not light.

@Fuel pump;
which electrical fuel pump is that create lots of noise, i would like avoid. my current scratch built has got mechanical fuel pump and I'm planning to go with electrical one for the second one.

Good luck

Ozgur

Last edited by Ozgur_Tan; 11-07-2010 at 11:57 PM..
Old 11-08-2010, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     
Default Ehps

Patrick,

I have watched and enjoy this build immensely. I have installed EHPS (Electronic Hydraulic Power Steering) in my BDR Cobra. It uses a Toyota Spyder MR2 pump with integrated EHPS computer and reservoir. The EHPS computer is fed from a custom controller that has a VSS input. This controller varies the amount of assist depending on vehicle speed. The tables in the controller are completely customizable to handle different VSS sensors. I have mine hook to a ABS sensor reading the reluctor gear. I think 47 teeth gear is what the base tables are set for. I'm using a Cobra Mustang rack with a stiffer T-bar from ARG which gives a good firm feel and not over boosted. I was also able to source all the factory connectors and wires that fit the connector for the EHPS computer. Actually this was the hardest stuff to find. I wired it through a 70 amp self resetting circuit breaker and a relay to turn on the EHPS computer with ignition. I have all the source and parts info I used. PM me if you are interested, I don't sell any of this so its not a sales pitch.... Mac

Last edited by Mac VABCH; 11-08-2010 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, FR302
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Patrick,

I very much enjoyed reading your build thread. I am new to CC and just bought my first Cobra in July of this year. I considered buying a kit as well as a roller. I came real close to buying a BDR but found the B&B that was a pro build in 2004. I am very happy with that especially considering the time it would take to build and the cost of buying new.

I commend you on your accomplishment of finishing your Cobra. It looks fantastic and you should be extremely proud of your accomplishment. I would love to see it sometime. Maybe we will run into each other as I live in Northfield.

Roger
Old 12-20-2010, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default And we have a weight

Hey guy's I didn't just stop tellling you what I've been up to its just that not much has been going on mostly cleaning up after the body and paint work. Until last weekend that is, I had the crew over for coffee and conversaition, Randy brought over the scales and we put the car on them.

Other than that I will be tearing the seats and dash out and working to get carpet and door trim done before the snow melts which at this rate may be June.
Patrick

Well, it occurs to me that perhaps not all of the modifications I made are technically 'street legal'

Hey Moe watch this!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What a pain but, ready for carpet

Okay the snow keeps piling up out side but. I just keep moving toward the goal of getting the inside done before the snow melts. I have made a new note to self; if any one wants help to do sound deadener on their car, Run the other way. That is one pain the butt job I will only do if absolutely necessary, at least now I'm ready for carpet. I don't think it would be difficult to do an average car but, the crazy multi level floor and general curvy nature of my car made it a 14 hr job. enough griping here are the pics.

Does anyone know where you can get bulk heat set carpet edging retail, I really don't want to have to order or have the upholstery shop do it. Also looking for large area Velcro patches.
Patrick

Hey Moe watch this!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Your comical genious is only exceeded by your fabrication skills.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Carpet is in just have the doors left

Well, I haven't frozen to death buried by the snow. I have tried to stay busy working on the car but I was only working weekends to cold to heat the shop for limited time after work. but I have gotten the carpet done. This was more difficult than the insulation.

Now I tried and tried to find a way to cover the dash but there was nothing that would even come close to forming to the shape of it. So I hit it with some black texture spray and said oh well. Next I made a trip to my favorite idea finder ( the local pick-a-part yard) and for six dollars I came home with a few do-dads to finish up the look. Now I guess all I have left to do are the door panels and the interior will be done.

That's all for now
Patrick

Hey Moe watch this!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

The paint doesn't look bad at all. Nice work!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I did get the door panels done today, with that I can officially call the interior done.

Looks like I have to climb under the car and pack some foam between the chassis and the body to keep the heat from blowing in around the door jams.
later.
Patrick

Hey Moe watch this!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

That's an interesting take on the door panel layout. Kinda reminds me of a storm trooper. Looks good!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley cobra-350 chevy
Not Ranked     

Hey fasterpatrick, awesome work and I admire your talent. My question to you is what E brake handle did you use? I've had two different setups. For the first it was a Lincoln with a built in E brake and it won't hold on my driveway. Second being a Ford setup from Speedway with the little shoes inside like a vette. Won't hold either. I have a Lokar handle and I'm thinking the teeth are too course. Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking the Lokar is the problem and before I carpet I want to fix it.
Thanks for your time, Russ
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Your not going to like this but it is out of a Honda CIVIC same as the plastic cover, the boot I took out of a BMW. Pick-a-Part yards are great fun.
Patrick

Hey Moe watch this!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351w
Not Ranked     

Ok, I know I'm not the first person to say they have just read this entire build from start to finish, but wow this just amazes me! To be able to do all of this on your own is incredible. Hats off to you sir, and keep up the good work.
I believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It came It FINALY CAME!!!!

Well, Everyone I haven't had much to say on the build thread this summer as I have been going through what turned out to be the most difficult aspect of the whole build. But as of 5:30 pm (when I get home from work) I hold the title for my car. Never did I think that it would be this much red tape and bureaucracy to go through to get a car titled. Now understand that this is not a typical "KIT Build" this was a Scratch Built car. It all started last Oct. when I applied for title, here is a summery of what I went through.

Step 1. Apply for title. Two forms application for title, affidavit of reconstruction. This is to get the ball rolling give them your receipts all id numbers from all major components and pictures from all four sides. Pay the tax on fair market value of your vehicle (charged tax on your own labor). At this point they are supposed to give you temp plates so that you can use your vehicle to get it back and forth for inspections. Three of the offices I visited would not issue plates to me at this point, turned and walked away try another. Make appointment for inspection NOW!!

Step 2. After A FEW WEEKS you get the paperwork back, hopefully your appointment is till valid (No title yet). You are required to have your vehicle inspected this is to make sure the parts you put on the affidavit are the parts in your car and not stolen. At inspection they stamp your paperwork and send you back to the DMV, to apply for a VIN tag.Make another appointment at inspection station NOW!!

Step 3. FEW more WEEKS wait VIN tag shows up at inspection station you will be notified by mail it has been sent there. Again hope your appointment is valid. Go to inspection office inspector will look over your paperwork again and the stick the VIN tag to your car oh yea it is a freaking sticker and yes they have to be the ones who place the tag to your car. Oh yea still no title yet, inspector stamps your paperwork again and sends you back to the DMV.

Step 4. back to the DMV to finally file the final paperwork (and pay inspection fee) to get your title, wait SIX-EIGHT weeks for title to show up. hopefully your temp plates have not expired. You have just made the journey of a life time.

******* You rolled snake eyes go back one step***********

You receive letter from the state we cannot process your application for title you must provide a Surety Bond for 1.5 times the value of your car for three years. WTF!!!! more time and money later I send the paperwork for the bond into the state and now finally I get a title for my car.

I sure glad I got temp plates because, I have been out driving my car weather permitting the whole summer. I would have gone postal on someone if I was still waiting to get plates. But for now the journey is over and I can say that I did build a car from nothing and it is tagged and titled.

If you don't hear from me, I'm out enjoying "My Car"
Patrick

Hey Moe watch this!

Last edited by fasterpatrick; 09-26-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

patrick,
wish i could insert one of those things clapping hands, fantastic effort have followed from the start,
well done !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER...

Well done man! Truly Well Done!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

WOW! Unbelievable how the tail now wags the dog.

I've been watching this for a long time and I must say "incredible job" Patrick!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I am glad it all came to fruition because you have done a stellar job on everything. I have enjoyed following your build over these past several years. Great job so now enjoy the fruits of your labor. Just think you probably own one of the most expensive Cobra's ever built had you charged labor, development costs, etc. Great Job!!!!!

\
Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"