Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   i'm going to start manufacturing of bodyshell, but slabside or fia ? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/79118-im-going-start-manufacturing-bodyshell-but-slabside-fia.html)

Ozgur_Tan 05-22-2007 02:00 AM

i'm going to start manufacturing of bodyshell, but slabside or fia ?

hi to all
after a decade since i build my last cobra 427 replica
i've had decided to start another one but this time from scratch
i'm at the preparing stage of manufacturing of bodyshell (5 axis cnc milling of Styropor, epoxy resin, final 5 axis cnc milling, mould, product)
it will be small block 260/289 body style
but i would like to get your opinions, slabside or fia ?
i personally like both with different reasons,
slabside; street sleeper, elegant
fia; functional, full blown track dog
regards
ozgur

427sharpe 05-22-2007 09:11 PM

S-L-A-B-S-I-D-E.....gotta love that body style.

Three Peaks 05-22-2007 11:01 PM

IMHO, the FIA was the most gorgeous and sinister looking of the Cobra body styles. I'm sure there will be as many opinions as respondents on this thread.

Jay Little 05-23-2007 05:42 AM

I like both!:3DSMILE:

imagine2frolic 05-23-2007 06:25 AM

For me it is where it all began, with the slabside. A 260, or 289 cradled in the motor compartment. Of course my first car was a 62 MGA, and my third car was a 260 Tiger. Do you think I have prejudices? ......lol

akeller 05-23-2007 06:14 PM

Slab side - you can modify it to replicate the early Comp cars before the FIA. IMHO some of the best looking and, certainly, least replicated cars out there. Or, finish it as a street slab side.
Keep us informed.

Al

Ozgur_Tan 05-23-2007 09:44 PM

G'day akeller
You are right like csx2011
Regards
Ozgur

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../Csx2011-1.JPG

LMH 05-23-2007 10:35 PM

I agree with Al, build a slab side but modified like the early comp cars.
Larry

akeller 05-24-2007 06:58 PM

Google CSX2128 - one of my all time favorites.

Lots of FIAs out there; ERA, Unique, Mr. Bruce, Shelby American and 2 - 3 others.
The only slabside manufacturer in USA is Shelby American and Kirkham (I think).

Al

Ozgur_Tan 05-26-2007 09:17 AM

Hi There,
Thank you for all replies
I saw a hawk 289 replica with aluminum trunk, doors and hood when i was in le mans classic races last july (like old hi-tech cobra's).
So, what do you think about this idea ?
Regrads
Ozgur

imagine2frolic 05-26-2007 11:14 AM

The Hawk is a fine replica, and speaking to one owner here in the US. He gave it the highest remarks. I could be wrong, but I believe that Hawk is one supplier for Kirkham. Also they are a dealer for Kirkham.

I would love to do a Hawk, but the logistics of shipping, and being taxed on everything worries me. My mind's eye can see many unforseen problems, and cost. So I am keeping my eye on an FIA from here in the states.

The real desire is for a slabside Kirkham but they are out of my reach for now. Imagine, my boat, screams for attention all the time. Let us know your decision.

mr bruce 05-30-2007 03:49 AM

Mr Bruce makes SlabSide bodys in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America

jon@harrison.ne 05-30-2007 08:22 AM

JCF in Oregon has been making slabsides for a long time. The body has all the inner panels bonded in ready to drop on his custom frame. I built one that at least 3 owners of real ones thought it was also. You can see my car on the CENTECHWIRE site. Click on the catalog and then kit cars. Their wiring kits are first class.

1985 CCX 05-30-2007 10:10 AM

Comp Slabside,

This is only made by SAI (in glass) and KMS (in metal). Basically it is the slabside with fender extensions. Sweet..................

Best of luck, a scratch build is truely ambitious.
Jeff

spl310 05-31-2007 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon@harrison.ne
JCF in Oregon has been making slabsides for a long time. The body has all the inner panels bonded in ready to drop on his custom frame.

But will JCF sell just the body?...

jon@harrison.ne 06-01-2007 07:46 AM

Yes, JCF will sell you only a body.

imagine2frolic 06-01-2007 08:48 AM

Once you get to CENTECHWIRE, where do we find your pics?

jon@harrison.ne 06-01-2007 11:04 AM

Click on the multicolor catalog that says Centech Wiring and then "kit cars". There is only one picture-I can post some if anyone is interested.

cobrakidz 08-12-2007 10:24 PM

slab side or fia?

Definitely a slabside, you don't see as many and they are the roots of this passion. I have had 4 Tigers and you just gotta love that old English style. Just my 2 cents worth. I am still looking for a nice one for myself.

Jay Little 08-20-2007 10:13 AM

Anyone remember this body?

http://www.unijig.com/cobra.htm