28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Here's my 35 cents. I suggest you call Curt Hamilton (Hamilton Industries) in LA, CA. He rebuilt my Jag carrier and did a great job for a reasonable price. I started with a 2:88 posi and he converted to a 3:31 (exchanged casings). He's very knowledgeable, and I got his reccomendation here on CC. His phone # is 818 943 2323
Old 10-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Bob I have a lot of Jag rear end stuff scanned in including the whole write up from CWI over several issues of a magazine. It includes IDing rears models used in etc. You want a 2 tag rear with one of them saying BPL (British Power Lock) and the other has either the ratio or the number of teeth on both ring and pinion to give the ratio. I also have some Alldata stuff on dismantle and rebuild. It's kind of a lot to e-mail should I burn you a disc if I can get my stinkin disc burner to work? On the u-joints there are some places that make them to adapt 1350 to 1410 which I think is what you need from Jag to Vette on your axle outer.

Last edited by mickmate; 10-26-2008 at 04:05 PM..
Old 10-26-2008, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Nick,
Yeah, if you can burn them to disk that would work great. I'm finding there is a lot more to learn than I imagined about these Jag rears. I know what you mean about fighting with the disc burners. On my last computer I never could get my burner to work right. The new computer is a piece of cake though.

Bob
Old 11-29-2008, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi
I have been away from this site for a while but I will be checking it fairly regularly from now on. I want to thank a lot a people for recommending me and my company. ERA Chas especially, I must have done something right. I always try to be as informative as possible. I do get asked many many questions and some days this gets tough especialy when I am trying to get shipments ready before the UPS guy shows up, this is usually when a guy calls up and asks how do I put the big gear and small gear in the big casting thingy , I think this has got to be my biggest gripe, people are sometimes way too quick to pick up the phone and start asking a whole string of questions instead of first getting themselves somewhat acquainted with what they are working on. I am a lot more inclined to help with a problem or give my advice if it at least appears that that person has done a little bit of prior homework first. Sorry maybe that's just me.
Anyway all said, Yes we are still in the Jag rear end business and yes I will be happy to answer your questions, of course an order would be nice once in a while.
Cheers
Mike Bontoft
CWI inc
360-749-6372 cell, this is the number I now prefer to use.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Mike,
Where are you located? Your prefix looks like a SW Washington number. I'm just outside Portland, maybe I could drop by and get some info/or order some parts sometime?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Bob
I normally do everything by mail order, it keeps me from getting tide down in the shop. But if you wanted to pick something up or drop off, give me a call first. I am in Castle Rock, WA.

Mike
Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Whew! The mountain has finally come to Muhammad!

Mike
Great to see you active again. My rear and brakes have been bulletproof since the day you sent them. (And I have tried to kill them) Gained 12 mph at 6500 going from 3:77 to 3:31 and still run 11's. Always glad to recommend that kind of service and talent. Perry and cobraman are also obvious supporters of CWI. Get the "customers cars" section of the web site going again. You can become the "Keith Craft" of Jag rears here on CC!

Bob
Very glad you have proximity to CWI and a dialog with Mike. I know you can get the kind of answers (or parts) you need from him.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Chas. And everyone else that supports us. Now I have a little more time I think I will set up something like that up. Last year I was very busy building an electric boat, High speed boat design has been A passion of mine for many years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76e19SxVzXE Turn the sound up.

Last edited by Mike Bontoft; 11-30-2008 at 10:53 AM..
Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Myself/Body from CSX-2575 & hand built Birdcage
Send a message via Skype™ to map
Not Ranked     

I have a CWI I'm installing.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not one to blow my own horn but that looks really solid. Let me know if you have any questions during installation.
Mike
CWI inc
360-749-6372
Old 12-29-2010, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bontoft View Post
I'm not one to blow my own horn but that looks really solid. Let me know if you have any questions during installation.
Mike
CWI inc
360-749-6372
Dear Mike, I am trying to contact the CWI and I can not success to access the site will also www.cwiinc.com and found an email to request product information, if you can help me I thank you very much, my email is described below . carefully. Bruno
brunoenff@yahoo.com.br
Old 01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe CWI closed up last year. I remember seeing a post from him stating he no longer had the time to continue with his business.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

....have been following this and learning a lot about that Jag rear suspension I bought last summer. It came from a '90 XJS V12 and has a finned alloy cover. The tag on the left side is stamped P-L which I now assume means "Power Lock". The tag on the right side is stamped CBC2107. Anyone have any idea what that means?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

On earlier diffs that may have been 7 and 21 teeth with a 3.0:1 ratio. Not sure on later ones like yours.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
Does anyone know, will a 67 XKE Type II ring and pinion/shaft fit a later 77-87 Dana 44 style rear end?

Having a tough time finding a Jag rear with the 3:54 ratio I'm looking for but found a ring and pinion in the right ratio, but probably the wrong differential.

BTW, where is a good place to get the proper R&P for the Jag Dana 44 rears so I can change out the stock 2.88's I seem to constantly find?

Also, has anyone used the Auburn Limited slip carriers in the Jag rear yet? How do you like them? The second thing is that it is almost impossible to find a stock Jag limited slip rear anymore. The Auburn seems to be an attractive alternative and is fairly cheap on ebay ($273).

Also, are all the Dana style Jag rears the same? I've seen differentials from 67 up to 87 or later and in the pics they all look the same. Any differences that would make them unusable for a Cobra rear?

Does anyone make CV's that will mate up to the Jag stub axles? I would like to run outboard brakes and run CV's inner with Ujoints at the uprights I got from Mickmate. Any idea what this might cost?
I saw a set up on Craigslist recently where someone had fabricated a Porsche CV to a Jag rear for a dune buggy, but the guy was asking way too much for the rear and it had 5:30 gears, which is a different carrier than the more user-friendly gears I would like to use.

Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob,

Being a '67 Etype owner, as well, most all stateside Etypes came with 3.54 gears. As some else mentioned, lurk around ask the Jag-lover members. Also, check with Dazecars. He put a Jag rear in a early mustang.
Happy Hunting!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mickmate,
That was about all I could figure out as well. ...won't know until I pull off the cover and start counting teeth. Regardless a 3.0 is close to the 3L08 T-bird center section I have. ...sourced from the same T-bird I pulled the 5.0 and AOD. I won't be doing track time with this car anyway so it will suffice for now. Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The xjs centre will be 2.88-1 if it had a 3 speed auto trans, however if it was a 4 speed auto trans it will be a 3.54
The C tag will be the factory part number.