1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-23-2008, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     
Default Jag rear end question

Does anyone know, will a 67 XKE Type II ring and pinion/shaft fit a later 77-87 Dana 44 style rear end?

Having a tough time finding a Jag rear with the 3:54 ratio I'm looking for but found a ring and pinion in the right ratio, but probably the wrong differential.

BTW, where is a good place to get the proper R&P for the Jag Dana 44 rears so I can change out the stock 2.88's I seem to constantly find?

Also, has anyone used the Auburn Limited slip carriers in the Jag rear yet? How do you like them? The second thing is that it is almost impossible to find a stock Jag limited slip rear anymore. The Auburn seems to be an attractive alternative and is fairly cheap on ebay ($273).

Also, are all the Dana style Jag rears the same? I've seen differentials from 67 up to 87 or later and in the pics they all look the same. Any differences that would make them unusable for a Cobra rear?

Does anyone make CV's that will mate up to the Jag stub axles? I would like to run outboard brakes and run CV's inner with Ujoints at the uprights I got from Mickmate. Any idea what this might cost?
I saw a set up on Craigslist recently where someone had fabricated a Porsche CV to a Jag rear for a dune buggy, but the guy was asking way too much for the rear and it had 5:30 gears, which is a different carrier than the more user-friendly gears I would like to use.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 10-23-2008 at 08:27 PM..
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is your answer:
http://www.cwiinc.com/index.html
Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

The 89-95 H.E. jag is the best, it has the aluminum rear cover. I believe these are all 2.88 but, you can buy the aftermarket top loader wide ratio gear set and have a very good combination. I really like mine....

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

ERA Charles,
You obviously don't get it- I'm a scratch builder, I LIKE doing things the hard way and I'm way too cheap to pay for that CWI bling for my car. Besides it wouldn't fit my original style chassis anyway.

427S/0,
Do you have a pic or know where I could reference one for the 89-95 Jag rear? I thought the later models didn't have the proper mounting bolt holes on top for the original mounting brackets. Also, not running a toploader or a big block. My T5 and 393W will appreciate the 3:54 or 3:31 gears much better.

Anyone else have any answers I can use? Where is the best place to buy a new ring and pinion for the Jag rears?

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 10-25-2008 at 08:49 AM..
Old 10-25-2008, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Bob you might try these sites for answers regarding the jag rear ends.
www.jag-lovers.org
www.jcna.com
www.jaguarspecialties.com

Dick
Old 10-25-2008, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Bob, the auto salvage yard is where I bought mine $500, CWI, concours west industries recommended the 89-95 HE, because it's stronger. They specialize in jag rears, not sure if their still in business?. 360-274-3373. I've been hard on my cobra and so far no problems with the rear.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Perry,
Do you know which models the HE differential comes in?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch building
Not Ranked     
Default Jag rear

Bob,
Why the switch to a jag rear? I have a 2.88 salisbury going into my build, just seems like old parts are getting hard to find and cost more.
Al
Old 10-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Paint:Metalflakes Royal and Abalone stripes registered in France in 1973. Engine: Ford Shelby aluminium block, 482; two 4-barrels 600cfm Holley; Edelbrock Performer Aluminium heads,,fluid damper,4-speeds Aluminium Toploader (short), 2.88rear
Send a message via Skype™ to BOURRET
Not Ranked     

I have a 2.88 Salisbury PL which gives me an excellent combination for road and drag strip (with a short ratio Toplaoder).
Old 10-25-2008, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alfy, etal, where do I find a Salisbury rear? And are they Dana 44 style, how do I find gear sets for them?

Bob
Old 10-25-2008, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch building
Not Ranked     
Talking

[quote=Three Peaks;892446]Alfy, etal, where do I find a Salisbury rear? And are they Dana 44 style, how do I find gear sets for them?

Bob,
From what I understand some cars came with either rear end, housings are different,salisbury has drain plug and 5 bolt axle flange and different rotors.Dana is smooth bottom and 3 bolt axle flange.I believe they are all dana 44 with the ten spline pinion being older units? I am just now getting info for them as my unit will need rebuilding.A lot of info on net...headache time...try coventry west" tech tips" I could not paste.
Al
Old 10-25-2008, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess I've been using the terms loosely, since both of these differentials are basically Jag rears, but the Dana seems to have only been used for approximately 4-5 years? Is there an advantage to one over the other?

Great article and now at least I can tell one from the other when I look at them.

Bob
Old 10-25-2008, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"ERA Charles,
You obviously don't get it- I'm a scratch builder, I LIKE doing things the hard way and I'm way too cheap to pay for that CWI bling for my car. Besides it wouldn't fit my original style chassis anyway.
"

Bob,
Here's what I DO get.
Your appreciation of my 3 word and link post (the first to answer you in fact) is truly gratifying. It's rare here but guys like you make me regret trying to help a CC member with a satisfactory relevant answer to posted questions.

"Does anyone know, will a 67 XKE Type II ring and pinion/shaft fit a later 77-87 Dana 44 style rear end? "
"Having a tough time finding a Jag rear with the 3:54 ratio "
"BTW, where is a good place to get the proper R&P for the Jag Dana 44 rears so I can change out the stock 2.88's I seem to constantly find? "
"The second thing is that it is almost impossible to find a stock Jag limited slip rear anymore. "
"Also, are all the Dana style Jag rears the same? I've seen differentials from 67 up to 87 or later and in the pics they all look the same. Any differences that would make them unusable for a Cobra rear? "

Mike Bontoft knows the answer to all these questions and has the parts to supply. He was a fountain of knowledge, gave freely of his time and supplied all the parts I needed. The kind of outfit I'd recommend to a friend.

I didn't buy bling. I didn't say you had to buy bling or complete assemblies. I didn't say to buy chrome nut covers. If you [i]had[i] mentioned you're a Craigslist shopper, I never would have wasted my time trying to help you with CWI and open myself up for a slap. You never mentioned you're a bottom dollar builder with a "scratch built original style" chassis.
Seems to me, a skilled and prudent "scratch builder" would do all the homework on chassis-related components before selecting design criteria and laying any pipe.

"CWI, concours west industries recommended the 89-95 HE, because it's stronger. They specialize in jag rears, not sure if their still in business?. 360-274-3373. Perry Henry "

Perry sent you to the same place I did. The other respondents also provided links to quality retail parts suppliers.

They obviously don't get it either.

Last edited by ERA Chas; 10-25-2008 at 05:57 PM..
Old 10-25-2008, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Easy there, Chas., I guess you didn't see the little smiley I put on the end of my sentence to show I was joking around a bit.
However, I am on a tight budget and I do have an original style rear end which won't accomodate the CWI style rear end assembly, which your link sent me to. And even with the index and searching the site I couldn't find an answer to any of my questions on the site.

Sorry if you took my tongue in cheek so seriously, but what the HELL is your wisecrack about being a craigslist shopper about anyway? I suppose that is beneath you? Something about owning an ERA or something? And if you had taken as much trouble with your original answer as your second I would have had a lot more information to go on and would have understood your intentions a little more clearly.

Thanks anyway and take care,
Bob
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK Bob, my bad.

Instead of sending you to the site, I should have said, CALL MIKE BONTOFT AT CWI. Since I could not answer all of the seven questions you posted, I thought it sufficient to send you to the guy who can. As did Perry.
I THOUGHT IT WAS THE HELPFUL THING TO DO. Instead I got your version of tongue-in-cheek humor.

"...what the HELL is your wisecrack about being a craigslist shopper about anyway? I suppose that is beneath you?"

I'll repeat it for you-
"If you had mentioned you're a Craigslist shopper, I never would have wasted my time trying to help you with CWI and open myself up for a slap". BECAUSE, CWI is a retail operation and does not sell used parts unless they're modified or rebuilt by them. But I was just trying to get your questions answered.

"Something about owning an ERA or something? And if you had taken as much trouble with your original answer as your second I would have had a lot more information to go on and would have understood your intentions a little more clearly"

ERA's, Kirkhams or jalopies have nothing to do with trying to help a CC member with information. That's what I tried to do and have yet to see that you recognize that fact. In your case, I won't make that mistake again which I'm sure will please you.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chas,
Why don't we just call a truce here. Obviously one or both of us are having a hard time getting our point across in this medium. It is difficult sometimes to convey our temperament in the written word at times and this is obviously the case here.

I do feel my questions were not being answered, which is not real uncommon on this forum where you ask a question and get several answers to "buy this instead". The craigslist crack IMO was out of line. I shop at lots of retail operations like Summit, Speedway, but with heavy items like differentials the shipping kills the deal most of the time. I can just as easily find some of these types of things on craigslist and other local ads and save the shipping and also inspect the item before committing my cash. In fact, just yesterday I looked at a Jag rear end that I was told was a Dana 44, when it was in fact an 88 rear out of an XJ6, which is the first year of the newest style rear. Sorry to say, but CWI has nice stuff but is just out of my budget at the moment.

In any case, hopefully this little misunderstanding can end and we can go on without disrupting CC like a few famous feuds around here have come to.

Take care,
Bob
Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, 2:88's and 3:54's have different casings. The 2:88's are not as good casing wise. The 3:54 was in 68 v-12's. I got mine for $275 keep looking on bay they pop up. My center is getting rebuilt for $500
Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob,
I had no intent to create a pissing contest. Your description of how you shop is a sensible one and no snob factor involved.

Please understand, I'm not encouraging you to buy CWI stuff if you don't choose to. All I have been trying to say is to call Mike and he can answer everything and point you right. It can save you a lot of what you went through yesterday.

I wish you luck with the search and your ambitious build.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I was looking for mine back in 92 CWI told me to look for a 70s rearend out of a XJS they came standard with a posi in either 3.31 or 3.54. I found a 77 and it had a 3.31. I rebuilt it with all parts from CWI and have never had a problem in 26000mi except for u-joints. I run a 484 with 50mm TWM throttle bodies.
COBRAMAN 484
Old 10-26-2008, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobraman,
Thanks, great info.

Bob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: