Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default Dynamic, Excellent Points

Again emphasize that I do not want to beat anybody up over price, however, if you view a Cobra as a commodity (this in itself could be discussed forever),; they are viewed first as a factor of their cost versus anything else.

It is really about how one balances emotions/needs against dollar sense I guess...but as mentioned in an earlier response, and particularly in these times, discussions such as the above seem frivolous.

Bob
Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeutsch View Post
It is really about how one balances emotions/needs against dollar sense I guess...but as mentioned in an earlier response, and particularly in these times, discussions such as the above seem frivolous.

Bob
First, there's usually no wavering in the decision...when someone wants a Cobra, then only a Cobra will do. Second, once you decide you want to buy a Cobra, there is no balancing emotions/needs against the dollar sense. You just say, "what's the most I can spend" and then dive in head first.

These cars make NO sense and ALL of the sense in the World at the same time.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 02-23-2010 at 01:59 PM..
Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Bob,

Another way to look at it is, what do you intend to do with the car once you have it?
In your example, sounds like you are considering the choice between a Ferrari 360 and a CSX Cobra ... two very different cars as you noted.

If you plan to be active in a particular car club, that might help make the decision as to which way to go. As to your point, I agree it can be difficult balancing emotions and dollars.

I think Doug sums it up pretty well when he says ... ' These cars make NO sense and ALL of the sense in the World at the same time. '

- Tim
Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Rod,
CSX4910 mentioned KMP not me, the original post was asking about dealer cost on a roller. I pointed out why buy a new roller when there are good deals on CSX alum cars. I prefer the Vegas built glass or aluminum cars, I would not buy a new roller. You seem to have a real good time jumping on every CSX thread letting us all know how you love your kmp, good for you. Take all of your aluminum suspension parts, billet tanks and whatever else you want to add and move over to the kmp threads…………..

CSX4910
Trade in your CSX and get your $100k kmp. I would not buy a CSX for $140k no need too.

Last edited by Allan A; 02-23-2010 at 08:28 PM..
Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If you can afford the $15,000 major service, then get the 360 Modena Spyder, but make sure it's RED.

"Red, red, I want red, there's no substitute for RED."

Sammy Hagar.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan A View Post
They are around, just need to look. Would never spend $100k on a kmp but that us me.
This is what you said Allan. Or have you forgotten?

I jump on all threads. When someone wants to smear a KMP (or any brand), which you seem to do often, then YES, I'll get involved. I'm not prejudiced against any brand. I like them all. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I prefer the Vegas built glass or aluminum cars, I would not buy a new roller.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that you dissed most of the CSX owners too. I'm sure they're very happy about that. Personally, I would have no problem buying a new CSX roller. A friend of mine here locally bought a CSX49xx car and looked gorgeous to me.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Rod,

Quote:
Oh, and I forgot to mention that you dissed most of the CSX owners too. I'm sure they're very happy about that. Personally, I would have no problem buying a new CSX roller. A friend of mine here locally bought a CSX49xx car and looked gorgeous to me.
It is obvious you really do not know the CSX cars, so when you do let's talk.

Allan
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     
Default Have you guys seen this quote somewhere?

"Welcome to Club Cobra...The world's largest non-biased Cobra site!"
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Rod,

It is obvious you really do not know the CSX cars, so when you do let's talk.

Allan
You're right, I'm ignorant, but it sure is bliss.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I am the buyer of the CSX at the low point of western civilization. 41.9K, 1.8K to ship it cross country.. so I am in for 44. (roughly).

I have seen the same car for sale @ 54K -

CSX: There are lots of things that are great on the car, and lots of things that are not. ---but then again the original cobras were kinda peach-cobbler in places.
when I am done with my CSX it will work well and drive well. It may not be the fastest, or have the most power, but everything will work well.

As for finding out the wholesale cost - this information could be misused and screw the whole thing up.

Example; the CSX car has a whole page of options that add up into the (possibly) thousands.

I do know that my dealer lost money on my car. (on my CSX) it was sold at his advertised price, so i cant feel to bad about it.

If you want Cobras to exist, you have to buy them and service them with businesses that are a for-profit enterprise.

WARNING: If you grind a business too far on its cost basis to provide you a custom product, they are probably not going to be there very long.

as far as CSX cars , - the main thing I like about the CSX (glass) is I can lean on the fenders (hehehehe)

Right now , I am removing the HST provided wiring ( with the bilingual scotch-tape tags) and replacing it with the same Kwik-Wire harness that they use on the KMP cars , with a few mods.

I think we need an *electrical* thread on this board. --that way blas and i can focus our energy.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com

Last edited by PANAVIA; 03-01-2010 at 12:17 AM..
Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

Complete/New CSX sold for 75K
Csx 6027 $75k
Started a thread on retail price history
Csx 4000/7000 prices ?
On the wholesale thing , I believe profit is mostly on engine and install . But what about the componete builders likr HMR (is that it , in NY ?) They might have more room to move . Just a thought .
SDR
________
MERCEDES-BENZ SL-CLASS HISTORY

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Old 03-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
I am the buyer of the CSX at the low point of western civilization. 41.9K, 1.8K to ship it cross country.. so I am in for 44. (roughly).

I have seen the same car for sale @ 54K -

CSX: There are lots of things that are great on the car, and lots of things that are not. ---but then again the original cobras were kinda peach-cobbler in places.
when I am done with my CSX it will work well and drive well. It may not be the fastest, or have the most power, but everything will work well.

As for finding out the wholesale cost - this information could be misused and screw the whole thing up.

Example; the CSX car has a whole page of options that add up into the (possibly) thousands.

I do know that my dealer lost money on my car. (on my CSX) it was sold at his advertised price, so i cant feel to bad about it.

If you want Cobras to exist, you have to buy them and service them with businesses that are a for-profit enterprise.

WARNING: If you grind a business too far on its cost basis to provide you a custom product, they are probably not going to be there very long.

as far as CSX cars , - the main thing I like about the CSX (glass) is I can lean on the fenders (hehehehe)

Right now , I am removing the HST provided wiring ( with the bilingual scotch-tape tags) and replacing it with the same Kwik-Wire harness that they use on the KMP cars , with a few mods.

I think we need an *electrical* thread on this board. --that way blas and i can focus our energy.

Steve
Steve,

Once you finish the car, it would be great to see a full side by side comparison of the CSX vs. your Superformance

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Steve,

Once you finish the car, it would be great to see a full side by side comparison of the CSX vs. your Superformance
agreed
SDR
________
SUZUKI DL1000 V-STROM

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:11 PM..
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
Right now , I am removing the HST provided wiring ( with the bilingual scotch-tape tags) and replacing it with the same Kwik-Wire harness that they use on the KMP cars, with a few mods. Steve
On the CSX, did you find any battery cables labeled "Sharroll Celby."
(One of those "you had to be there" jokes)
Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default Again, Thank You...

for all responses provided.

Again, my intent regarding the initial query, was not directed at driving any Shelby dealer into an adverse business position. It is simply trying to remove emotions from a purchase decision. A point was made in one of the responses that the purchase of a CSX or any Cobra replica (meaning a non-CSX 2000 or 3000 series chassis) for that matter is really about emotion. Hey, no fundamental argument, but at some point, and perhaps it is only me struggling with this, one has to consider the "V' word; aka, value.

Some of the info of most interest learned during the discussion involved the $12k +/- install kit that is not part of the base price (and to be honest, never saw this on the pricing option lists provided by multiple Shelby dealers). So, from a very non-emotional perspective, this takes a $51k roller and quickly turns it into a $63k roller. So, given you have a $63k roller, as say compared to an $85k Ferrari 360 Modena...for me, I default to the value bit mentioned above. But again, that just might be my problem.

Simply no right/wrong to any of this decision process and as mentioned earlier, given the times, seems a bit frivolous.

Bob
Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeutsch View Post
for all responses provided.

Again, my intent regarding the initial query, was not directed at driving any Shelby dealer into an adverse business position. It is simply trying to remove emotions from a purchase decision. A point was made in one of the responses that the purchase of a CSX or any Cobra replica (meaning a non-CSX 2000 or 3000 series chassis) for that matter is really about emotion. Hey, no fundamental argument, but at some point, and perhaps it is only me struggling with this, one has to consider the "V' word; aka, value.

Some of the info of most interest learned during the discussion involved the $12k +/- install kit that is not part of the base price (and to be honest, never saw this on the pricing option lists provided by multiple Shelby dealers). So, from a very non-emotional perspective, this takes a $51k roller and quickly turns it into a $63k roller. So, given you have a $63k roller, as say compared to an $85k Ferrari 360 Modena...for me, I default to the value bit mentioned above. But again, that just might be my problem.

Simply no right/wrong to any of this decision process and as mentioned earlier, given the times, seems a bit frivolous.

Bob
Bob, I'm sure you know this already, but it should be pointed out that accumulating any sort of mileage on one's Ferrari will significantly depreciate the resale price of it. Also, you must factor in the maintenance costs of both cars as well. I love Ferraris, but the initial purchase price doesn't stop me from buying one.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

Ferrari's are my other want and I ask the same question all the time . Wholesale 360 are supposedly in the $40k's seen some posts on other sites of guys selling for $59k feeling they got every cent . I agree a well maintained high mileage 40k mile 99' 360 is a mid fifty s with the dealer still making coin . But there still depreciating.... cobra's ? I'm not so sure . Are there deals ? sure but is there the same amount of depreciation ? ERA's still seem pretty strong CSX/Kirkam not as much .
SDR
________
Ford P68 History

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:11 PM..
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Those Ferrari prices you quote must be for their hardtops, which I personally would never buy. I would have to own a 360 Spyder, if I ever did buy one.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Bob, if you'd like to discuss the virtues and value of owning a Cobra vs a Ferrari, PM me, I've owned both.