SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
tin-man:

Additional Info from Terry:

" It would be no issue in matching the screw pattern if different. Superformance is the only manufacturer or whoever they are supplied from that has been different.

3/4” center to center is what is standard and 13/16” center to center is Superformance. If yours is different I can accommodate. "

Ask Terry:

" Only one issue, do these mirrors move when the wind wing moves, seems like , so how to make a permanent fix? Is such a fix available? "

Terry L Riebel
www.thedreamcarcompany.com
502 802-1159

Pictures:

tin-man: If you wish to PM me your e-mail address, will forward the pictures from Terry, was not able to post via CC......might be the size of the file or ?
The intent of the design is to not impede windwing movement. When installed correctly the mirror and wind wing will swing away when in use with side curtains. When installed correctly the mirror and wing will be very stable, and hold it's setting. The design does not require additional drilling of the windshield post if you do not desire to do so.

This kit works with the installation styles of the wing.

This kit does not impact concerns of the purist as it can easily be removed for shows if needed or for those who are you selling your car. Remove them and place them on your new car.
riebel@insightbb.com
Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Anyone know anybody that manufactures inserts for the top channel of the windsheild frame? I'm thinking about two inserts in the top channel about 4" on either side of the opening with one or two threaded screw holes going down towards the windsheild. They would for the most part, be left there when not in use. Not a couple of machine screw nuts ground to fit but a couple of machined inserts, each an inch or so long to spread out any force. After thinking hard and ruleing out different ideas, What I'm thinking is two inserts installed in the top windsheild frame channel. My LongAcare 14" mirror has two verticle sheet metal brackets with a horizontle 1/4" bolt , back about 9 1/2"apart. I'd mount mirror bracket to intermediate"L" brackets to insert .LongAcaer 14" mirror would be on top of windsheild frame with mirror ends benind my sumvisors. My sunvisors are usually upwright and act like windseild extensions anyway, because my windsheild is leaned back so far it's height is reduced.
Back to windsheild frame top channel inserts?

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 07-08-2011 at 03:12 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I replaced the side mirror with a convex mirror insert from Cobra Valley. I also installed a convex clip on mirror that I bought from eBay (Broadway BW703 240MM convex mirror). Both give plenty of visibility without looking out of place.

The pic of the clip on mirror is in my gallery.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
tin-man:

Additional Info from Terry:

" It would be no issue in matching the screw pattern if different. Superformance is the only manufacturer or whoever they are supplied from that has been different.

3/4” center to center is what is standard and 13/16” center to center is Superformance. If yours is different I can accommodate. "

Ask Terry:

" Only one issue, do these mirrors move when the wind wing moves, seems like , so how to make a permanent fix? Is such a fix available? "

Terry L Riebel
502 802-1159

Pictures:

tin-man: If you wish to PM me your e-mail address, will forward the pictures from Terry, was not able to post via CC......might be the size of the file or ?
Hi Don, sent you a pm with my private emaill address. tin-man
Old 07-10-2011, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
I now have a 14" LongAcres racing mirror. I want to mount it inline with the top windsheild frame. I have the sunvisors so I need to mount mirror to the rear and under the visors so I can lay them flat when the car cover is on. any body have an idea or seen anything I can use?
I fabbed this mirror mount, and it works pretty good. I'v since remade it to look a little bette; prototypes generally don't look all that good.

I made thse bolts useing a threaded rod and square nuts. I welded the nut to the threaded rod, then shaped the nut so it would fit in the window channel. The other end uses nylock nuts.

To install, simply slide the ends into the top window channel, and tighten the nylock nuts. On and off in a couple of minutes.

I believe Darkwater sells something similar.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 07-10-2011, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is alot like what I wanted. I like the way your new mirror fits between the two sunvisors. Is there any curve to that mirror? What size screw did you use? Have you noticed any wear or distorition to the top channel from the small area the screw is pulling against? As I said, my windsheild is leaned back more, as with yours, the space that the top windsheild frame occupies isn't useful for forward viewing.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The screws and nuts ar #10. The mirror is curved, I can't remember where I bought it, but it was pretty cheap.

I can see from directly behind my head, all the way around to about the middle of the door. You get a nice view of the passengers face, which is nice on the track - you can see when they start looking green.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 07-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Like I said before, go to Pep Boys and get the "Nanny Mirror". Five bucks and it attaches to the windshield with a suction cup.

Bob
Old 07-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
I fabbed this mirror mount, and it works pretty good. I'v since remade it to look a little bette; prototypes generally don't look all that good.

I made thse bolts useing a threaded rod and square nuts. I welded the nut to the threaded rod, then shaped the nut so it would fit in the window channel. The other end uses nylock nuts.

To install, simply slide the ends into the top window channel, and tighten the nylock nuts. On and off in a couple of minutes.

I believe Darkwater sells something similar.
The Broadway mirror is excellent. Comes in various sizes and really works well just clipping on any existing mirror in the stock location. Some cars just have way too many mirrors in different locations...looks like the mirrors are stacked up in a landing pattern.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-10-2011, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
The Broadway mirror is excellent. Comes in various sizes and really works well just clipping on any existing mirror in the stock location. Some cars just have way too many mirrors in different locations...looks like the mirrors are stacked up in a landing pattern.
I tried just clipping it on. But, it was too heavy, and would quickly sag and point to the floor.

I use the Broadway mirror when I'm on the track, and remove the stock mirror from it's stem.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My update
The suction cup mirror that I ordered arrived. I can't use it. with the angle of the windsheild and the short post on the mirror I'm looking at my chest. I started making anchor bracket fot the top channel. I have one and will make another some time soon.
Tuesday July 12 Went out at about 5:30 AM to go to work in my old 84 Landcruiser. Being mostly concerned about getting gasoline I didn't notice anything. When leaving station i noticed a thumping . I pulled off and didn't see anything but still concerned I stsrted back towards home. Once in my alley to open gate in my fence, I noticed three wheel studs on left front wheel broken off and the other three nuts loose. Had to go through the ordeal of first getting new studs that were too short intended for another rotor take them back and buy the correct studs. Then I damaged the hub seal and had to replace that. then I managed to gall the two bolts that were to hold the caliper on. That also damaged the hole theads. I ordered and bought the two new bolts 12m x 1.25. Trying to save a buck and use up gift ebay cards, I ran into PayPal's push into verification requiring a link to a bank account. I don't like this. I established an account just for this. I typed in account # and routing #. Then they wanted my online banking password for confirmation. "This looks like a scam", I'm pissed. After shouting and so on, my wife calls my daughter and she comes over. No body here likes the giving PayPal our online banking information. All I want is to use my prepaid ebay cards. My daughter does find another option that requires two to thrtee days . Pay pal makes two small deposits in that account . you tell them the two amounts. It worked , I'm now verified now. Next I payed for a helicoil repair set that I tried to purchase earlier. I want to clear the remaining ballances on previously used cards. I type in three different card #s with smaller balances cards first to clear them out and then a new card # with larger balance. They ignore one of the smaller balance card # and start taking out of the larger card# so now I still have remaining balances on two cards. I went back and did it over, same results. I hate PayPal, AND MAYBE EVEN EBAY. For maybe a few dollars more, I could have gone down town and bought a 12M X 1.25 helicoil set and be moving on. The telephone numbers are a big frustration.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 07-24-2011 at 01:56 PM..
Old 07-24-2011, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star, 393 Stroker, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I purchased the 3" "side" mirrors found at the following link for Greater Cincinnati Performance Cars and while a bit pricey, they function perfectly and the fact they attach on top of the wind wing fasteners prevents you from having to do any drilling/tapping into the windshield frame.

global key words
Old 07-24-2011, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They are really nice, but if I was not junping on the $125 mirrors it is not likley to go the $250 route.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 428 FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

I use this one because I can take it off whenever I need to.

Boat Mirror