SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-24-2011, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default Rear View Mirror, what is the latest?

I was out again today. The blind spots are a problem. I was watching ahead and another car slipped up to my right. I needed to be getting into the right hand lane. I gave it just enough gas to clear and there to the left was a motorcycle cop with his radar gun up. I really didn't go that fast. I watched and he never came after me but I was worried. I hate those blind spots. Iam worried. Also as I entered I5 everybody was flying. Big trucks I couldn't see around.I signaled and and went to left lane. I got past some trucks only to be even with a city cop car two lane to the right. I saw a need to start getting back over to my right comming up and in this state they want you to turn your head around, tough with 5 point harness.
Curved or flat? How big? What worked for you? Over the original dash mounted mirror or another mirror hung from the top ? how did you mount your mirror? I'm mostly worried about what is behind and to my right. No use in turning the mirror just to look at myself. I have the bullet mirror on the left with a convex lens for a quick look to my left.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Go to Pep Boys and get a Nanny Mirror. They cost very little and attach via a suction cup on your windshield. In the attached picture it's in the top left of my windshield. I met a guy a few years ago who had 3 of them mounted.

Bob

Old 06-24-2011, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1235
Not Ranked     

Pep Boys sell a wide angle clip on mirror made by Ksource. It fits right on top of the stock dash mirror and is 11 3/4" wide. Eliminates the blind spots on both rear quarters.
Superformance #1235
460/T5
Old 06-24-2011, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Roadster, 418W
Not Ranked     

Anybody remember the Wink mirror? They are still available via the internet. Rally cars and racers used them back in the '70's; municipal bus lines used and still use them. I think they were big buck products back in the day; $20 on Amazon today. No blind spot - but brutal at night with an axx hole running high beams in your six.

Terry
Old 06-25-2011, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA Street #2122 , 302ci
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Blind spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
I was out again today. The blind spots are a problem. I was watching ahead and another car slipped up to my right. I needed to be getting into the right hand lane. I gave it just enough gas to clear and there to the left was a motorcycle cop with his radar gun up. I really didn't go that fast. I watched and he never came after me but I was worried. I hate those blind spots. Iam worried. Also as I entered I5 everybody was flying. Big trucks I couldn't see around.I signaled and and went to left lane. I got past some trucks only to be even with a city cop car two lane to the right. I saw a need to start getting back over to my right comming up and in this state they want you to turn your head around, tough with 5 point harness.
Curved or flat? How big? What worked for you? Over the original dash mounted mirror or another mirror hung from the top ? how did you mount your mirror? I'm mostly worried about what is behind and to my right. No use in turning the mirror just to look at myself. I have the bullet mirror on the left with a convex lens for a quick look to my left.
Michael,

Take a look at the "Broadway In Car Blue Tint Convex 300mm Rear View Mirrorclip on mirror". It also comes in 240mm and the blue tint works great for night driving.
Amazon.com: Broadway In Car Blue Tint Convex 300mm Rear View Mirror: Automotive This will fix your problems.

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Brothers..............
Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR MKIII 408w
Not Ranked     

Get wind shield mount from DWC below. I also added convex lens's to diver & passenger mirrors.

cspoonts@darkwatercustoms.com

Last edited by charles roybal; 06-25-2011 at 08:21 AM..
Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Worth consideration.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadsters, 306 SBF
Not Ranked     
Default I can see

I have two Aluminum Raydots mounted on top of from fenders ahead of windshield, fairly typical Cobra configuration. I went to my local Autozone and found some adjustable stick on convex spot mirrors that are almost the same diameter as the Raydot lens and stuck them on. Everyone that has driven Cobra since (fellow Cobra Owners) have remarked it is the first time they have been able to see behind them. Two of them have already converted their cars to this setup. It does nothing to change the look of the Car.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csingletary01 View Post
I have two Aluminum Raydots mounted on top of from fenders ahead of windshield, fairly typical Cobra configuration. I went to my local Autozone and found some adjustable stick on convex spot mirrors that are almost the same diameter as the Raydot lens and stuck them on. Everyone that has driven Cobra since (fellow Cobra Owners) have remarked it is the first time they have been able to see behind them. Two of them have already converted their cars to this setup. It does nothing to change the look of the Car.
I did the same with mine within the first month I owned the car. It's a great improvement.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

walfart has a concave mirror that clips over the current mirror on the dash for about $13.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BackDraft, Keith Craft 408; 1967 GT500CR
Not Ranked     

Raydots on windshield frame work!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So far I ordered a suction mirror from ebay, and have ordered a 14" Longacares mirror only, from Summit. I'd like to mount the 14"mirror up high inline with the top of the windsheild frame. I have some ideas but will begin making plans once that mirror arrives.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 07-01-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

My normal mirror is center top of windscreen. I clipped this on for 7 dollars. It works way better than you think and most folks never realize it is a clip on. No vibration and I can see most anything. It has been there five years. No reason to change it. I drive my car 10k per year. It gets lots of use.

K-Source Clip-On Wide-Angle Mirror - 11-1/2"
Old 07-04-2011, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, Roush 427sr/tw, install by Dennis Olthoff
Not Ranked     

These are really nice mirrors. Quite expensive, but I saw them on cars at Ohio Cobra Club's spring fling. I intend on getting them as soon as I win the lotto. Nice thing about them is they mount inboard of the wind wings and don't interfere with using the soft top.

http://www.thedreamcarcompany.com/store.html
Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfcobra2567 View Post
These are really nice mirrors. Quite expensive, but I saw them on cars at Ohio Cobra Club's spring fling. I intend on getting them as soon as I win the lotto. Nice thing about them is they mount inboard of the wind wings and don't interfere with using the soft top.

http://www.thedreamcarcompany.com/store.html
How do they mount to the window frame, do you have pictures? Thanks, tin-man
Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, Roush 427sr/tw, install by Dennis Olthoff
Not Ranked     

Here are some shots I took at the OCC show. The mirrors are, of course, convex. Their web pics are not very clear. If they can be had for less, I'd like to know.
These are the best outside mirrors I've found. I sat in the seat and Sam (the owner of the car) turned the wind wing away and WOW - I lost sight of everything except what the itty bitty stock mirror had to offer.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-man View Post
How do they mount to the window frame, do you have pictures? Thanks, tin-man
Reply from The Dream Car Company:

" The mirrors attach to the wind wing hinge not the windshield post. You are provided with easy complete instructions.

Everything is included, I provide some different styles of mounting screws
to complement the existing hardware. There are some different mounting options that I have provided to you in the attachments. Either option provides a very stable installation.

What car do you have? FFR, Superformance, Backdraft, etc,? The reason I ask is that all use the same wing screw pattern except Superformance.

No big deal, I adjust the screw pattern to accommodate the Superformance."

PS: Attachments mentioned above were pictures, unable to post with above reply
Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Reply from The Dream Car Company:

" The mirrors attach to the wind wing hinge not the windshield post. You are provided with easy complete instructions.

Everything is included, I provide some different styles of mounting screws
to complement the existing hardware. There are some different mounting options that I have provided to you in the attachments. Either option provides a very stable installation.

What car do you have? FFR, Superformance, Backdraft, etc,? The reason I ask is that all use the same wing screw pattern except Superformance.

No big deal, I adjust the screw pattern to accommodate the Superformance."

PS: Attachments mentioned above were pictures, unable to post with above reply
Hi Don, is there a name and email address I can use to communicate with at the Dream Car Company. These mirrors look crips and clean. Do you know if they are heavy duty chromed or made from aluminum?

Only one issue, do these mirrors move when the wind wing moves, seems like , so how to make a permanent fix? Is such a fix available?

Thanks, tin-man
Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

tin-man:

Additional Info from Terry:

" It would be no issue in matching the screw pattern if different. Superformance is the only manufacturer or whoever they are supplied from that has been different.

3/4” center to center is what is standard and 13/16” center to center is Superformance. If yours is different I can accommodate. "

Ask Terry:

" Only one issue, do these mirrors move when the wind wing moves, seems like , so how to make a permanent fix? Is such a fix available? "

Terry L Riebel
www.thedreamcarcompany.com
502 802-1159

Pictures:

tin-man: If you wish to PM me your e-mail address, will forward the pictures from Terry, was not able to post via CC......might be the size of the file or ?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I now have a 14" LongAcres racing mirror. I want to mount it inline with the top windsheild frame. I have the sunvisors so I need to mount mirror to the rear and under the visors so I can lay them flat when the car cover is on. any body have an idea or seen anything I can use?