SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-21-2003, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five 351w
Send a message via AIM to snakeboy
Not Ranked     

Bart

Can you post some pictures?? That would be great if you could. What cobra kit do you have FFR, ERA? How much did they charge you for the kit and did you install it yourself? If you did install it yourself was it hard to install it?

Thanks SnakeBoy
Old 10-21-2003, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Levy Racing built FFR w/351W
Not Ranked     

I have no pictures other than the "after" shot I took when the car was stored at the Bondurant museum. But I am tracking it at a NASA event this coming weekend and I will see if I can get a better interior picture. It's in Phoenix.

The car is a race modified FFR by Levy Racing. They made a removable rear section to accomodate the longer length of the transmission and also had the conversion done at a local machine shop. It requires drilling, etc. I think Keisler made up a manual based on my job.

The car has an IRS, so if you are using a live axle, the driveshaft may be too short for the required movement.

I think the cost was less than $400 for the kit itself. Give Keisler a call.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Keisler Automotive?

Has anyone contacted Keisler lately? I've been calling them for two days without reaching a human except for reaching one that quickly punted me.

I've been attempting this mod on my own and have decided it's over my head. I also like the idea of not cutting the shift rod if their kit makes that possible.

Thanks,
Old 01-06-2004, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mid States, Chevy 350 4 bolt main bored and stroked to 383ci. Billet crank, aluminium heads, twin aireasearch T3/4 turbos with twin intercoolers
Not Ranked     
Default T56 shift position & Keisler

Hi, I spoke to Keisler in December 2003. They seemed somewhat reluctant to sell the "kit" but eventually told me that a batch of the kits were being made up and that I would be contacted when they became available, sometime early 2004.

Billimey
Old 01-07-2004, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I spoke to them about a month ago and they said that they were waiting for feedback from the several people who have done this conversion. I also had a very hard time getting a real person on the line to talk to. I did talk to the owner at one point and he is still reluctant to send out the kit. He did say that I could send him my transmission and he would do it right away. I checked into shipping and it was going to cost me about $250 to have it shipped out and back. So I decided to wait for the kit. Hopefully it will be done soon because I am ready to put it in the car now.

Bart

Did the person who did your work give them any feedback? How do you like the shifter in the forward position? Also how do you like the 6 speed? What rear end gears do you have. I have 373's in mine.

Thanks SnakeBoy
Old 01-09-2004, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by snakeboy Bart

Did the person who did your work give them any feedback? How do you like the shifter in the forward position? Also how do you like the 6 speed? What rear end gears do you have. I have 373's in mine.

Thanks SnakeBoy
The work was done by Levy Racing. It was pretty straight forward. I love the 6 speed. The shifting is great, short throws, very precise and a great feel.

I have 373's also. But my choice was decided by my engine and track considerations. But I guess you can't go wrong with any choice with a 6 speed. A gear for every occasion!
Old 01-10-2004, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bart,

An earlier post mentioned that the Keisler kit leaves the rod to the original shifter location. Do you know if they cut the rod and replace the h pattern mechanism with something that then holds the rod to the original location or does their kit somehow avoid cutting the rod altogether?

Sorry for the detailed question, I haven't been able to speak with them and am attempting to move forward on my own. I can't see anyway to do it without cutting the shift rod ( other than doing it externally )

Thanks,
Old 01-10-2004, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry. Although I did the research and bought the kit, Levy Racing did the work.

I had no trouble getting in touch with Keisler Automotive Engineering. I would keep trying. Let him know about the interest on this site.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mid States, Chevy 350 4 bolt main bored and stroked to 383ci. Billet crank, aluminium heads, twin aireasearch T3/4 turbos with twin intercoolers
Not Ranked     

Hi, it seems that a number of people want to do this conversion, at least 3. Let me suggest that we approach Keisler as a group, with anyone else who is interested and and if they want our business, place an order. If not then is there anyone else out there, i.e. In Australia who can facilitate this. I am ready to buy will anyone help me.

Bill Orr
Old 01-10-2004, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I am in Australia and more than willing to try and help as I too will need to modify the T56 shifter for my car.
I was going to do the conversion same as Aussie Mike did with his, how can someone in australia help?
Is Keisler Automotive Engineering in Australia?
Do they have a web site?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would be willing to go to Keisler as a group to get the kit. Maybe that will give them some motivation to move forward with making it available.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default www.keislerauto.com

Their website is www. keislerauto.com

I would be interested in a kit if anyone is able to setup a deal. I haven't had any luck contacting them. There was a mention earlier that tremec has the parts to do this. I have an email into their tech help address, if I don't get a response I'l start calling them.

Boxhead,

If you search the forum on t56 you should find a thread that mentions a place in australia that does this mod.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Tremec references Keisler

I called Tremec's tech line. They do not have a kit, they do refer you to Keisler. He said to keep calling, they are very busy there. I guess there is alot of business in putting 6 speeds into old cars.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default talked to keislerautomotive

I finally got through! Unfortunately they do not sell the parts now. They will do the mod for $499. I assume that included the shifter but I didn't ask. I think the price and shipping probably makes it worth my trying to finish it on my own.

If anyone hears differently than this, I'd apprectiate hearing about it but for now I think I'll dig the cutting wheel out and see what happens.

Thanks,
Old 04-27-2004, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Keisler Front Shifted T56 for Fords

Dear Listers,

In surfing the net, I came across your discussion board with this thread regarding our product.

We are in the process of making our patent pending front shift conversion a "kit". However, it is a formidable job as it requires special tools to press off the 5 & 6th gears, etc. We have workstations and special fixtures to perform these processes. One of the components is in the final stages of tool-up. We have already received samples and test fit. Once completed, a kit will become a viable solution. However, we are quite backed up, and I don't forsee this kit being available until late summer/early fall.

If you are interested in a correct T56 for your Cobra, we need to know which engine combinations (5.0L, 4.6L, FE series, 460 engine, etc) & torque (475 or 650) you would require. We can supply these in aluminum and SFI steel clutch housings, and for either mechanical fork, cable fork or hydraulic release bearing configurations (my favorite). We stock all of the transmissions and componetry.

Please contact us directly at x1 or my extension x203.

We have just a handful of T56s in Cobras now, and I believe you would love the transmission. We have two standard and 1 custom gearset available.

Of course, we also make a close ratio, short throw TKO 5-speed also with 2.87 1st and choice of .82 or .64 5th.
www.keislerauto.com
865-609-8187
Old 02-14-2005, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default t56 shifter relocation

After a year of inactivity due to work and the birth of our first child, I decided to send this off the Keisler. I'll post again when it comes back.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default KEISLER Front Shift for T56

Yes, we do these front shifts for T56 for 5.0/small block and 4.6/mod motor.

We also have a 5-speed overdrive version for the same engines, plus 390, 427, 428, 460 engines.

Please call 865-609-8187 x1.

Thank you,

Shafi Keisler, Pres.
www.keislerauto.com
865-609-8187
Old 02-14-2005, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mr. Kesiler,

Hopefully you still do the front shifter mod on any t56? That is what the transmission is on it's way to you to have done.

It's order #450-117.

Thanks,
Old 02-14-2005, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you. Yes, we do this to any t56, new or used.
www.keislerauto.com
865-609-8187
Old 02-22-2005, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I sent my t56 out to Keisler on 2-13, it arrived back here today, 2-22. No problems, I'm impressed.