SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     
Default Wiper Motor Difficulties

I have a used Lucas Wiper Motor Assembly that I have in my Cobra. I have made the mecahanism park the wipers to the drivers side. I am using a wiper 3 pos Lucas switch I got from Finish line. When the engine is off I put the key to ACC the volt gauge says 12 volts and the wipers are in the park position with the switch in the park position. I can move the switch to the low speed pos (middle) the wipers move at low speed and then move the switch back to the park position and the wipers park. I can even go to the high speed pos and they work and then they park.
Once I turn the motor over and approx 14 volts are on the gauge the wipers stay in the park position. But, once I move the switch to the run low or high the wipers go to that speed but when you move the switch to the off or park position the wipers still move at the low speed and do not park. Even if I shut the motor off and move the key to the ACC position the wipers still move and do not park.
I shut the battery switch off and then put it back on with the key in the ACC position and the wipers go to the park position.
I am confused, what is going on and what can I do to make the wipers only see 12 volts.
Puzzled.
Jim
Old 02-15-2004, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectible 351 windsor bored and stroked tko tremec
Not Ranked     

hi Jim i was wondering do u have both your power sources 1 to wiper motor, and 1 to switch both being powered by the same fused 12v source? enzo told me if i didnt power both of these they would park whereever they wanted. not sure if this will help Neil
Old 02-15-2004, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

The park is a function of an internal switch. It is closed when the wiper starts to move. When you shut off the wipers the switch stays closed until the motor comes around to the park side then the switch is opened. All of this is done inside the wiper motor. Sounds like the internal switch is sticking. You will have to take the motor apart to fix it. If you get lucky it may work it self out as you use it.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The wiper's internal park switch is integrated with the plug socket. Make sure that the socket is not partially separated from the wiper body casting.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Smile

Jim,
Here are some drawings I made to understand what is going on inside that little gem: (the other guys here are probably tired of seeing them)

You can pretty much see what is going on. What might not be so apperant is that when the wiper motor is in the "Park" position, the plunger switch mounted to the motor grounds out the normally powered side of the motor's "slow"winding through the dash board toggle switch (both sides now grounded).... in effect creating an electric "brake" which haults the wipers. If you have it wired so that the normally powered side of the slow winding does not get grounded, (when in Park) the motor has a tendancy to skip over the plunger switch cam and continue for another cycle. The higher voltage you talked about only makes it more likely to skip.

So, #1 check your wiring. If it is correct, then start looking for a reason that the windings are not getting grounded when in park.
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 03-22-2004 at 01:58 AM..
Old 02-21-2004, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

My set up came with the car.It has three wires coming out of the motor.Blue and yellow were connected to the switch .The red wire from the wiper motor was connected to the nearby ground.It also used a three position light switch, it had a wiper emblem on the knob and all.It's connections labeled head,park, tail and bat.It didn't park automatically .The dash is out and I'm rewiring but the wiper is mounted as it has been for years.I don't want to start any more quests.The simplest thing have gotten the better of me and gotten more invloved than anyone would emagine.
Before I let out the magic smoke out of the wires ,any guidance?
Probably a real wiper switch?

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 02-21-2004 at 02:28 PM..
Old 02-21-2004, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,
It is very simple to get to work. Call Enzo at Finishline and have him send you the correct Lucas wiper switch. Make sure to remind him to send the wiring hook up instructions. (very simple in its presentation) and there you have it. life will be good for you just like in one of those "all natural male enhancement" comercials.

The Lucas switch is a unique animal that is designed specifically for that motor. It is an "on-on-on" type switch that is internally jumpered. Just trying to find an "on-on-on" switch that you could modify to do the job is difficult, so don't bother. Just use the correct Lucas switch.
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 02-21-2004 at 04:56 PM..
Old 02-22-2004, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Your drawing and my memory indicates a push pull switch. FinishLine is showing a toggle switch.Was I wrong?
Old 02-22-2004, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Mike,
The switch I am talking about is a toggle switch. Sorry if my rendition confused you. My drawing techniques are not standard. They are a cross between Boeing, McDonnel Douglass, and Steve R
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Steve
Old 02-22-2004, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

also if the testing is done without the drag of the wipers against the windsheild,and there is a difference between 12V not running and 14V running and charging .The wiper motor may be running just fast enough to coast past park and start the cycle over.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Mike,
Yes. That is exactly what usually happens when both sides of the motor windings are not grounded out in "PARK".
(The motor is not wired to a correct switch configuration.) Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 02-22-2004 at 06:30 PM..
Old 02-25-2004, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK I ordered and received the correct switch from Enzo.Now,My motor has only three wires comming from the motor.The window where a plug socket would have been, is open covered by a peice of tape. This will probably never park on its own.I suppose I'll have to buy the new motor.yes no?
I remember a discussion about altering the gear for sweep .How did that go again and what is the gear that Enzo offers for the motor?Will I have to alter the gear in the new motor to get the sweep I need? or will it come with the needed sweep or does the additional gear make the different sweep?
I know this will not be the last thing I ever order but what all should I order ?I figure a new motor ,a plug, ?
I know money doesn't grow on trees but all this waiting between steps is killing me.To say nothing of shipping and handling for a bunch of small orders.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 02-25-2004 at 08:51 PM..
Old 02-25-2004, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Michael,
Here is a link given to me when I asked the same questions about the stroke. Thanks to Bob Putnam at E.R.A. it worked like a charm. THANKS AGAIN BOB!!!!

http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/wiper/index.htm

To save a few bucks, a motor from an MGB will work if you can find one in a boneyard. You may be able to just buy the park switch assembly. Ask Enzo.
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 02-25-2004 at 09:44 PM..
Old 02-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Steve R
I also have the same type of wiper motor, I think, as Michael
Doesn't both your and Bob P 's drawings etc assume a 5 wire setup?
I have a small lug on the motor that is indeed the hi -speed (I temp-jumpered it to power thats how I knew what it was)yet my motor only has 3 wires to the original toggle switch, on-off, one red wire to ground, other two, yellow and blue, to each side of the switch. Even with the new Lucas wiper switch I have yet to find a lug on the switch that parks the wipers.
It really isn't all that bad to just bump the switch to park the wipers but would be nice if when they were shut down they parked automaticaly.

Also My wipers park to the left--read in the archives that it was because the wheelboxes were mounted backwards --not the case had them both off and reversed them, no way does that work, then swapped left to right, again no way.

Guess I have an oddball Lucas wiper assembly.'
Old 02-26-2004, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Gary,
Hmmm The one thing I forgot to include in the print is what color the low, high, and ground wires out of the motor are.
Maybe you have the polarity of the motor backwards, causing it to park to the left. (run backwards) I'm not sure. I'll have to look in my notes.
Could you post a picture of your motor? It sounds like someone removed the park switch assembly and tried to wire it directly to the switch.
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 06-03-2004 at 09:05 PM..
Old 02-26-2004, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

Michael,
Could you post a picture of your motor?
Steve
Old 02-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

STEVE R

The way my motor is mounted I couldnt get a picture---I unmounted it once---PITA, all day job to un-mount and then re-mount---right now it works just doesn't park. Before it wouldn"t raise the wipers more than a couple of Inches.

I temp jumpered the "small lug" on the the motor to the lucas wiper switch and at full up on the switch I have "hi-speed" wipers.

With the "temp jumper" the motor works hi-lo just won't park--not a big deal I just "bump" the Switch to park the wipers--would be convient to just turn them off and have them park on their own.
Now I have 4 wires from the motor---my motor has 3 wires coming out of the motor, plus a small lug(hi-speed, temp hooked up) 1-ground(red?goes to the frame) a blue and yellow

RE: parking left vs right--I switched the polarity today even before I read your post--that was the problem, they now park right.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Gents,
I'm headed to Austin for the Texas Cobra meet. I'll be back monday.
Steve
Old 02-27-2004, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Michael and Gary,
I think I found the wiper motor park plunger switch for $14.25
I see one in the Moss Motors catalog (fall issue 2-0310) page 87, item #11 part number 145-630. Make sure you ask them if this is the correct one. there are 2 switches listed. the other one is part number 145-620 which shows no longer availible.
Moss Motors Ph# 1-800-667-7872.
Good hunting,
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 02-29-2004 at 08:45 AM..
Old 02-28-2004, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My digital cammera is out with my daughter.I ordered the whole wiper assy from Enzo.I now see how the motor and switch operate.The motor has a cam on the gear which I think disconnects a connection inside the motor transmission electric connection.There is a fused but not switched 12V power supplied to motor .That power is connected to the park terminal by the internal cam operated switch.That is wired to terminal #2 on l
Lucas dash wiper switch. When Lucas dash wiper switch is returned to the park position#1 and#2 ( park )are connected. terminals #1 and#7 are allways connected but in park #1 #7 and#5 ( the low speed) is also connected so power goes back to the motor on low speed .The motor runs untill the cam on the large gear comes around and disconnects the 12v from park intrenally in the wiper motor there breaking the power to low speed and the wiper stops.
Now I find there are at least two size gears on the wheel housings(the things that come through body that the wiper arms are on.The small 1.25"diameter gear will make the sweep 117°needed.If it is a 1.45"diameter gear it will only sweep the wipers about 90°.Now you have to relocate pickup point on motor gearplate needs to be relocated closer to the outside of the gearplate to increase the stroke of the cable.I haven't done this part yet .The metal plate is located on and driven by the plastic gear with two square lugs at opposite sides at the outer edges .These look if you were to turn the plate 180° like it will change the park from stopping on an outward stroke or an inward stroke ( park will be either left or right The ERA link above shows it in detail.
I swear the old motor I used on my 56 Bristle had a brass contact strip located on the motor gear.Two contacts(brushes)one 12V the other to low speed.The gap in the contact strip broke the connection stopping the motor at the correct position.I used a simple off-on-on toggle switch.That was an old motor back in 71. They probbaly had gear grease get into the contacts and changed to the new configuration with the cam and elaborate switch.
I'm waiting for the recent order to show up and see what else I need.I'm only redoing can't emagine a complete build.