SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF cobra, 427, 2x4's, 550 h.p.
Not Ranked     
Default Need Some Opions On Brakes!!

i am rebuilding an older NAF car. the guy who built it originally was not exactly a cracker jack when it came to mechanics. he used a set of neil pedals and master cylinders, both of which were the wrong size bore and both much to small for the car. and to boot, he had the smallest bore on the front brakes. oh well, that's why i am rebuilding. my question to all the experts with more experience in this than me is, what type of master cylinder system do you prefer? the balance bar set up with 2 masters for the brakes and one for the clutch , or a domestic type master cylinder and hydraulic clutch? i had thought of going with a power assist set up, but if i didn't. what recommendatuons would you make? i appreciate any help and information i can get. all opinions welcome. i have always gotten some great help from all the guys in this cobra club in the past...thanks . you can email me at tchrome@aol.com or post here. thanks again

tony
Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My car has Wilwood pedals/masters. Nice set up and adjustable. You might also look into what other products Neil has to offer that might bolt into the setup you have already.
HTH
Larry
Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Given the one-of-a-kind nature of each of these cars, I think it is essential to be able to adjust the front/rear brake bias. Twin brake master cylinders with a balance bar is not the only way to do that, but it does work well. .. If you go with a system with aluminum master cylinders, be sure the rods connecting the pedal to the pistons are well aligned. If it is not, you may get accelerated wear on the bore of the piston and leaking.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks guys for your input. i havebeen leaning in that direction, although i have been seeing more and more of the latest cars being sent out with power assist units. have you heard much on how this is working out? i have heard of guys using a corvet master cylinder with a small power assist unt. thanks.

tonyh
Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Go the twin route. Email me and I will send you some thing to help make your choices.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-01-2007, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Tony -
Perhaps its because I've been driving my 1963 Corvette without power brakes for almost 30 years, but I don't see the great need for power brakes in my Cobra. I drive it hard at open track events and manual brakes feel fine to me.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M , 5.0 efi
Not Ranked     

I just re did my brakes. I went with Wilwood rotors and 4 piston calipers.
The dual M/C is the way to go. You may actualy want the smaller M/C on the front. It seems backwards but you don't need volume (larger M/C bore) you need more fluid presure (smaller M/C bore)
In my case I now have 3/4" M/C's on the front & rear sides.
The realy big improvement came with the 4 piston calipers. The old 1 piston with the slide mount was realy bad. I think my pedal effort is down by 30% to 40%!!

I bought my front brake kit from HotrodsUSA.com It has new hubs, bearings, 11 3/4" disks, mounting brackets and the 4 piston calipers. This set up still fits inside my 15" wheels. It is designed to replace Granada rotors on mustang 2 spindles without changing the offset. As an extra bonus it shaved 16 pounds of weight PER SIDE of the front. 32 punds total.

It went together perfectly and now that everything is seating in it is terrific.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Hi Tony,
Hey A COBRA GUY,
Which kit did you use from HotrodsUSA? Do you have the part number? If not, the width of your rotors would be a great help.
Thanks,
Byron
Old 05-02-2007, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 427FE stroked to 482CI
Not Ranked     
Default I also have the hot rod usa kit

It is for the mustang II spindle and 15" wheels. The kit has special wilwood zero offset aluminum hubs. The owner of hot rod usa asked wilwood to tool up for these hubs as they are not in wilwoods standard mustang II brake kits. The brakes are awesome...I opted for the larger front 4 piston calipers. Check out my gallery for pictures.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i have a NAF car , north american fiberglass. and i am running a stock mustcang 2 front end with rack & pinion. i think i am going to go back with the neil pedals and mastercylinders 3/4" bore all the way around. my other thing is to maybe get a ford or corvette master cylinder and go with that. but i like the originality of the the other set up.

tony
Old 05-02-2007, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M , 5.0 efi
Not Ranked     

Steve is correct that it is realy a custom Wilwood kit. I chose to go with smooth rotors (Not drilled or slotted) and the "standard" 4 piston calipers. This set up cost me $900.00 plus I bought a new M/C for about $50
The kit was part #B1F2427401Z.
A plug for HotrodsUSA. They were great to deal with. Up front about delivery time but that did not slip from there origional estimate. Very helpfull with questions I had durring the research phase.

Now a word about M/C's My car started life with the dual MC setup. While trying to improve things years ago I went to a larger MC for the rear. It helped a bit. During this winters upgrade I suspected I would need to re-size the MC's. The Tilton website (Tiltonracing.com) has a questionaire that asks all the details about your application. Weight, wheel base, driving style, and lots more. Fill in everything and in a week or 2 they email back there recomend MC sizes for front and rear. That is what I used to decide that 3/4" front and rear woukd work for me. VERY helpfull.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, don't buy the other ford/vette master cylinders etc. You can spend thousands and end up not satisfied. If you are willing to put the time in, I am willing to help.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Listen to Rick he's been there done that! give him a shout he knows what he is talking about
Old 05-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.
Listen to Rick he's been there done that! give him a shout he knows what he is talking about
Thanks for the plug buddy! Of course my car stops GREAT now... it is on jack stands waiting for me to put the tranny back in it I blew the third gear synchro out of it. Sent it off to David Kee to work his magic... all new gear, input shaft, 1-2 fork, etc. Can't wait!!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrome
and to boot, he had the smallest bore on the front brakes. oh well,
I believe the front M/C should be smaller so it will will make more pressure!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibr8k4vetts
I believe the front M/C should be smaller so it will will make more pressure!
It certainly does work out that way a lot (mine is currently that way)!! Doing one from scratch, I try to pick components that are 'naturally' balanced. That is when I am done, the master cylinders are the same size and the balance bar is centered..... well, at least on paper it will be! Real world always goes one way or the other once testing commences which is all the more reason to balance it on paper.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com