Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just to play grinch and add no value to this topic I opened the hood on my Lexus with 85K miles on the odometer today, oil still at full mark after 9K miles. Checked the Envoy, 11K miles since last oil change and a hair under the full mark. How does ford racing make such a trivial mistake.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

It's not a mistake. They want to make sure the valve guides and muffler bushings are well lubed.

I'll also say, I think the oil return passages are a little too small.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Seems the marketing guys turned a design/manufacturing screw up into a positive sales pitch. B i t c h e s!

I'm not doing anything, but monitoring both my engines and will replace them only if I have a problem. What's a few hours of my time anyway?!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
Perfect! So they're intended to leak. Why even install seals?

Well, I don't think it's worth the time and headache to try and deal with Ford. I guess I'll just drop the $32 for a new set.

But I will badmouth Ford any chance I get about this.
OOOH ! $32, you need to change suppliers, those little white ones ( in my opinion still the best if fitted properly ) normally jobber for about $18 and can be as low as $13.50.
Interestingly, Pioneer, allready mentioned, list those orange ones too under the SVR ( severe service ) branding, made from DuPont flouropolymer material, whatever that is, as opposed to Teflon. Pioneer trumpet their advantage as being "impervious to racing fuels, alcohol and nitro ", just as Howard Cams do. Then go on to say, also, that they alow oil flow to the guide making them " ideal for street use "
Alcohol and nitro on the street........ REALLY
Mike
Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blowing oil out the tail pipe is also not acceptable for a street engine.

The $32 set was Comp cams from summit. They had some I liked for $109 for 100, but I'm not expecting to change them at every oil change.

Even at $32 a set, they'll pay for themselves in about 4000 miles with the oil consumption reduction.

To Chris, I'll fire off a snotty email as a favor to you. Thanks for starting this thread and sharing. You did save me a big pain in the a$$. I can do this easily now and with no troubleshooting. With all of the EFI stuff in the way, pulling the intake would really suck, and that would have been my attempt to remedy this.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Been driving all day today, problems aside i love the way this motor idles, the pro system carb is perfect out of the box, the throttle responce is mad, i pulled a plug and it was nice to see it dry and the tips a light grey colour, this motor runs nice and cool doesn't get anyware near as hot as my old 408(its summer here) just a shame i had to go through hell before i got to enjoy it,i hope this post can help others if they have the same thing happen to them, looks like i will be taking the pony to summernats after all.
Summernats Car Festival - Home Page 2012
Old 12-24-2011, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris, that is a thing of beauty! Glad you got it worked out and thanks for sharing the story. You have helped many. Also, good luck changing plugs in the future!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 12-24-2011, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ha Ha. not doubt. Hope you installed those magic Ford 100K mile spark plugs.

I didn't realize how cramped those Mustang's are. Looks great!
Old 12-24-2011, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Chris, that is a thing of beauty! Glad you got it worked out and thanks for sharing the story. You have helped many. Also, good luck changing plugs in the future!
First of all merry christmas to all and yes changing spark plugs will be a nightmare, can not get 6 of them out without pulling a extractor bolt out also my birthday today my wish came true
Old 12-26-2011, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris, did you have any other issues with the performance of your engine when it was sucking oil? I ask because I'm having some trouble with mine. It seemed to be running very rich and blowing some smoke (not blue). The fuel pressure is correct at 5.5 psi with a Holley 750 DP. It definitely seemed to be a fuel problem and after troubleshooting the carb, I replaced it with a new 650 DP that I know works as it was on my 66 Mustang. I'm able to the get about 15" of vacuum (bounces between 13 and 15) with all four idle mixture screws out 1/2 turn, but it still seems to be missing, blowing some smoke, and falls over when I give it gas under load. I'll start a new thread, but just curious about your situation. Thanks.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have to say even when it was burning oil it ran great,i have a msd dizzy with 6al a super victor manifold and a pro systems carb, they used a holley hp 950 but pro systems told me its more like 830 cfm, the car runs great , no miss and just a little squeeze of the throttle and away it goes, i'm loving the way this thing goes, ill just mention that ford racing recomended a 850cfm carb when i rang there tech line, sorry to here your woes mate.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Using the white seals from Crane did not solve the issue on the engine we are seeing these symptoms. It has 2,600 miles on it for reference. It is going back to Ford.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I spoke to Marty and he asked I check a bunch of things I know are not the cause. PCV valve? Really? And I didn't use the corks on the manifold to block seal...just a fat bead of RTV, and I have .040 or so gap left. He also says the seal problem is an internet rumor. The real problem I have is my car isn't drivable yet, so I can't really get it good and hot. I can idle and gun it until the water temp is up to 200 deg, but that isn't really getting the valves or oil up to temp. All I'm doing is polluting my oil and dirtying my plugs. And under these conditions, the oil burn is a non issue. I'll have to get the car drivable and tuned before I can have an issue to complain about. Since the painter has convinced me to get it running and the bugs worked out before paint, that'll happen sooner rather than later. I'm hoping to drive it to a get together in March.

As I see it, if it's not the rings, it's trivial. It idles at 800 rpm and 50 psi, and has no inappropriate noises, and screams like a banshee when goose, so I think it's good to go. The only way I get a little bit of smoke is if I get it hot (as I can), shut it down for a few minutes, then restart it. Then I get a tiny little blue/white puff and that is usually caused by bad valve seals. I also may only change the intake seals. I bet it's getting sucked by because of the vacuum at idle and a little oil getting past the exhaust would be a not so bad thing, if it doesn't make a noticeable amount of smoke.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

marty can say what he wants , i know the seals were no good in mine, the oil in the tail pipes is gone and ive done around 280 miles with the new seals and i havn't added any oil, i suppose the other 2 427's here that had the same issue were a internet rumor aswell, funny how changing the seals fixed there problem and what about don from the ffcars forum i spoke to him aswell and yes his issue was faulty seals another internet rumor ( funny that ford racing admitted that yes in dons case it was faulty seals ), i very much doubt i will get any moneys from them when i send them the invoice as i have been a thorn in there side, if i could have done this over again i would have gone with roush.
cheers chris.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1723-427 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default 427w

i bought a brand new 427 windsor from ford racing that did the same thing puffing blue smoke at idle and using a quart every 300 miles. I switched to synthetic the smoke went away only beacuse syn. has a higher flash point. It still used a qt. every 200 miles. I kept complaining to the warranty at ford racing after 4700 miles i pulled it out and they paid all the shipping and put new rings and bearings in. They dynoe it at 545 h.p. and 548 lbs. of torque. NO SMOKE NO OIL CONSUMPTION. Ford picked up the tab for everything
Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi chris i wrote you a while back about my 427 that i had sent back to Ford for excessive oil and smoke comsunption. I hope you got it taken care of .I say shame on ford but on the other hand they paid for all shipping and went through my motor and made it right. Took out the break in oil and put in joe gibbs high zinc 10/30 hotrod oil. i now have 900 miles on it and it has used about a pint of oil. They did dyno it at 545 h.p.@6000 rpm and it does haul ass. GOOD LUCK let me know. Mike fron San Jose Ca.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris i also wanted to let you know the local speed shop here in san jose is a rousch dealer. and they have had 3 rousch motors come back to them also for smoke,oil and other mechanical issues. Thnx. Mike
Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi mike
I will start a new thread about this soon, we now know the exact reason for the problem changing the valve stem seals did work but the oil burn came back around 280 miles later, the heads are off the car and we now know the exact problem, i'm waiting for the report from the head machine shop, but this engine was shipped to me faulty from the factory and there is no way they ran this engine for 20 minutes like the paper shipped with the engine says, i have some video footage aswell but will wait for the report.
cheers chris.

Last edited by 68pony; 02-21-2012 at 07:32 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well when mine was doing that ford honed the cyls. and put in new rings and bearings. That fixed everythingve over a 1000 miles and no smoke or oil comsumption. Get after ford and make the pay for shipping and all repairs.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike i'm to far away and to ship back to the US and then wait for ford racing to fix and then ship back to AUS would probably mean a 5 month turn around i would rather fix at my expence and this way it will get fixed properly anyway they would find some reason to blame me even though it smoked from start up, they can't and won't admit to them stuffing up or who ever assembled the heads, there emails are cold and make me feel resposible for what has happened, i got sick of them telling me it was the pcv or intake gasket, they must think us aussies are dumb f@$ks if they handled this better i would not be so bitter.
cheers chris