Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to Hoodabest
Not Ranked     
Default 5-4-18 recommendation needed

So, block is off for line bore and cleaning. I'm still torn between 393, 408 or 427 for the rotating assembly. But where I'm lost is the ancillary equipment. Flywheel, clutch, starter, dampener, bellhousing.

What I know for sure is the following. 500-600 hp, tko600, 0 (zero) balance rotating assembly. I'd like sfi approved parts, if possible.

Anything else I need to know? Recommended parts anyone?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm partial to aluminum flywheels. From what I read, Quicktime bell housings are high quality. I don't have any personal experience with one though.
Post a photo of the short block when you have it finished!

Larry
Old 05-04-2018, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quicktime makes a very high quality bell housing. I have had both the non-SFI and the SFI rated bell housing from them. Both fit well and typically they do not require a lot of dialing in. The flange on the SFI rated bell housing is more robust than the non-SFI rated one.

Jim
Old 05-04-2018, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf k View Post
https://imgbb.com

I have been using this site, works similar to photo bucket. I did not bother opening an account, just use the Start Upload button.
Once uploaded, when prompted to select imbedded codes, select BBCode full linked. Copy and paste that to your post.
imgbb.com is listed in the article linked below. It appears to be a good site, but there are others people may wish to check out or use.

Best free image hosting websites 2018 for photos and videos

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-...tos-and-videos

Edit: Another good article on this topic, from November 2017: https://www.maketecheasier.com/free-...ting-services/
Ron61 likes this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 05-04-2018 at 08:55 AM..
Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Those are all good sites in that list Brian and I use them all from time to time. I still use the free part of Photo Bucket once in a while but I like the others more.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-26-2018, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Change in plans

So, I was looking at about 4 grand more, and a probability of NOT getting the car drivable by this fall, as I had hoped (unexpected expenses). I remembered a thread here where the advice given was to get the car running, then upgrade as time and money allow. I came across a 408w shortblock, newly built, forged crank, etc, but it's a 2 day trip (local pickup only). Back on Craigslist, I come across a complete, carb to oil pan, 351w with 2 hours run time. All parts in it are top shelf. Ported heads, roller valve train, forged pistons at 10.8:1. Ill be posting more as I crack in to it and have a peak. Anyone know the balance factor I'll be needing for the flywheel?
Old 05-26-2018, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All 351W that are externally balanced, use a 28oz weight. Make sure the front balancer matches.
Larry
Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
All 351W that are externally balanced, use a 28oz weight. Make sure the front balancer matches.
Larry
Thanks Larry, I'm on the hunt for a flywheel now.

The seller claims that the heads are maxed out for flow in factory castings. He was running an iron 4 bbl intake, I'll be replacing that.

I have a Price dual quad manifold topped with 390 holleys. Will it work well with this setup? Or should I look for a single carb combo?

Current plan is to continue the 408w build, so I'll also need an intake there too.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like multiple carb setups as you know. It seems to me that Price casts their intakes with extra material so they can be ported up or down, depending what heads are used. You can check with them to be sure of fitment. Price Motorsport
As far as working, I don't see any reason they wouldn't work, though they'll probably need jetting to suit. FYI, they'll need balancer tops for the secondary's. They're available at a couple different Holley dealers. I never got around to buying them.
Larry
Old 07-08-2018, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 7-7-18

So, you know the old saying "If you bought it on Craigslist, it MUST be good"? Me neither!!! So far, I've gotten the heads removed. EDIT TO CLARIFY -The engine I bought was advertised as having fullroller rockers, fully ported heads, and hydraulic roller lifters/cam. So far, that's not the case. Nor are the pistons a set of 11 or 12 to 1 forgings as was so enthusiastically described to me by the seller. So far I have comp cams roller TIP rockers, hydraulic non-roller lifters of unknown origin, and a set of heads for which any claims of flow are dubious at best.

Last edited by Hoodabest; 07-10-2018 at 01:25 PM..
Old 07-21-2018, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Need cam help.

I decided to tear down and inspect, and it's not as bad as it could be. But its NOT what I thought I was buying. Rebuild is new, forged SRP pistons,looks like balancing, arp rod bolts, mild port job on D0OE castings. About the only thing I found down below that I questioned and will remedy is changing out the fully grooved main bearings for a set with solid bottom halves.

I need recommendations for cam, and to decide whether to run my price dual quad manifold topped with 390 cfm holleys, or get a air gap manifold with a single.

Engine has 9.6:1 compression. TKO 600, 3.55 rear. I want a hydraulic roller cam with a good lope to it, that is somewhat civilized. A few rough edges are ok.

Basically this engine is a way to fill the void NOW and sort out the rest of the car, then sell to another builder, once my 427w is finished.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

If you are building a 408W call Lance at Craft Performance for the cam. I bought a 408 from him a few years back. Great sound, 530 hp. Good street manners. I sold the car and I gave the paperwork (cam card) to the new owner.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

link to the 408 warming up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBX...SZ9YQ&index=16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VxL...Jy4gxXCu4SZ9YQ

482 Ponds block idling another Craft motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuOX...SZ9YQ&index=15

found another 427 Eddie tuning it on my engine stand. Motor went in a CSX 6000 Cobra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVHe...Jy4gxXCu4SZ9YQ

Last edited by Dwight; 07-21-2018 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: add link
Old 07-25-2019, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Latest progress.

So, here's the current situation. I ordered a Scat forged rotating assembly 47405. This kit yields 408 cubic inches, and comes with:
-4-inch stroke forged crank
-h-beam rods with 7/16 bolts
-Icon forged pistons. The kit specified a -25cc dish piston (I think), but Kevin over at Clegg engine was able to spec. -15cc dish slugs to get us up to a more ideal 10.5:1 compression ratio.
Also ordered:
-Scat SFI rated balancer
-157 tooth PRW flywheel weighing 24 pounds, also SFI rated.

For those wondering, Clegg engine is an engine shop that's only a couple miles from Kirkham"s facility in Utah, and they provide Kirkham builders with powerplants on the regular.

After being pointed in the same direction by both Kevin at Clegg and Wild Bill (my local guy), I opted for a hydraulic roller cam from Howards. P.N. 220275 yields 241 int. 247 ex. @.050" duration, and .581" int. And .608" ex. Lift with 1.6 ratio rockers. Lobe separation is 110, and intake c/l is 106.

I opted for a set of Howards Maximum Effort hydraulic rollers and a Howards billet timing set.

Anyone here used this cam? I'm really curious of what you think of it.

Last edited by Hoodabest; 07-25-2019 at 04:54 AM..
Old 07-25-2019, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Dwight recommended getting the cam from Craft Performance. I agree. I have on of their Windsor based 427s with a Performer RPM air gap 572/582.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

I'm surprised at the dish they have recommended for the pistons in your build. I'm running a 393 stroker with Vic Jr. heads and every calculator I could find to run around 10.2 compression came up with 22CC dish for my pistons. I would think with a 408 that the swept area would require a slightly larger dish to accomodate pump gas requirements?

Regardless, you're going to love the power in your engine. I tried several different carbs in mine and ended up with a 700 double pumper #4778-8 as the best option in the end. I'm running an Air Gap clone- a Weiand Stealth intake. I have a Holley 670 Street Avenger and a 770 also I'm looking to move if you're still looking for a carb. With my cam, they just weren't the right choice but they may work for your cam choice and intake better...

Bob
Old 07-25-2019, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Very rarely are Fords (or any custom engine for that matter) optimal with shelf cams.

For the price of a custom, it's always a win/win. I've made 28 more peak hp and 10 more average hp by using my own grinds over shelf stuff.

That Howards cam is a typical "Chevy" grind.....6° duration split, with a 110 LSA, ground 4° advanced.

It's on the large side for a 408 as well, unless the cylinder heads are choked way down.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cam choice.

Thanks for the heads up, Brent. I'll call you as soon as I'm through this latest medical crisis with my mom, (getting old sucks, avoid it at all costs). I was going to go with your cam originally, and you just sold me on the idea again. Are the howards lifters ok or should i send them back too?
Old 07-27-2019, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

"Max effort" lifters are very unnecessary. You need a regular "Street Series" lifter. Save yourself the money. Howards lifters are good, they're made by Morel.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:04 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ICCars - still deciding on engine
Not Ranked     
Default In the same boat mate

Hi everyone. I’m new to the cobra scene and have started collecting all my parts.
I have an engine in mind (also a small block)
I’ve ordered a 351 Windsor dart block and was wondering if anyone has any experience with what they can handle?
I recently put a down payment on an IC Cars kit as I was really impressed with the way he goes about his builds and am excited to have a blast in it one day!