Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2002, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     
Default SB Ford High-Performance Book

I'm in the early stages of planning my next series of books, one of which will be How to Hotrod Your Small Block Ford. This will be a high-performance version of Rebuild Small Block Fords and Engine Builder's Handbook, both by HPBooks. With that said, does anyone think there's a market for such a book?

I will be gathering information on parts suppliers and engine builders that specialize in Ford engines, particularly the small blocks. Any help I can get on tracking down such sources will be greatly appreciated. I have a load of info, but things change and are improved as time marches on.

Thanks,

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 12-12-2002, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA w/393 c.i. Windsor
Not Ranked     

I would suggest that you contact (if you have not already) Raceparts Distributors, Inc. in Cornelius, NC. Preston Miller and his crew are well informed and highly qualified. They, in conjunction with Ford, are involved in the production of aluminum blocks that can be easily developed into 427 inch engines. It is a real treat to go by there and see all of the "goodies" that they have in stock. They are actively involved with the Olthoffs in developing engines for their Superformance cars.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great. That's a start.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 12-12-2002, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Tom - so far as I am concerned, it will be a cover-to-cover "must read".

Let us all know when it is available.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keep book focus on how to do and what to do for performance and the tradeoffs involved and you will have a market. Keep us informed when you go to press.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Do it!!! There just isn't enough SB ford info out there. Too bad Shelby couldn't strike a deal with chevy way back when. There are so many books on those motors. Of course Cobra would not have been "COBRA" with a bowtie... Forget I said it! But do the book! Please!!!
Old 12-16-2002, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep the book simple and with no Bravo Sierra, just straight talk and tips on what works. I've seen some pretty big HP numbers, but the truth is frequently revealed when an engine gets a "pull" on a dyno. And you have it right. It's all about tradeoffs. As for press time, it will be a while. I have to get retired before I can do any serious writing.

Old 12-16-2002, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you could get some inside info from Jack Roush or Robert Yates I think those two probably know more about sb Fords than just about anybody.

Rumor has it that the 358 ci Ford Nascar engines have put out almost 800 HP in some sort of qualifying trim.

I am sure those two know how it is done.

RD
Old 12-16-2002, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Getting inside is a trick. Most "secrets" are held pretty close by those in the business of making horsepower such as Roush and Yates, but in the end the so-called "tricks" make common sense. These guys and their staffs spend hours and hours coming up the obvious. Then they have to develop durable bottom ends and valve trains. And many of these parts are unobtanium.

My challenge is to put together packages and components that can be purchased for a reasonable sum, more or less. But I've run parts straight out of engineering that can't be obtained by only the blessed, mostly involving cylinder heads. Bottom line is it's all about air, not only volume, but quality. Flow benches are good, dynos are better and tracks are best. Then there is the guy that just wants a strong relieable street engine. I'll have to cover the full spectrum, from street to all-out performance.

Boy, this is going to be a big job . . . but fun.

Old 12-16-2002, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

No.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 12-16-2002, 11:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 64 smallblock Fairlane
Send a message via AIM to W2zero
Not Ranked     

Tom
I look foreward to the book. Are you going to cover tweaks to the F7TZ heads?
Old 12-17-2002, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Probably. If it involves performance, I'll talk about it. Besides, you're not a true racer/hot rodder if you don't do a little romancing to the parts.

Old 12-24-2002, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Robb
Not Ranked     

If your Tom Monroe, then sign me up for a sequel to your "how to rebuild small block fords" book.
That book is very dated, but the info and basics bout engine rebuild in there, is timeless and accurate info.
I'd love to see a newer version, specially about high performance engines.

Ive oft recommended that book, as something for new engine builders to read and reference, befoe barraging a mechanic with rebuild questions....

-Robb
Old 12-24-2002, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

I would definately include a chapter on 351W based strokers. These motors are getting quite popular with Mustang owners, street rodders, and of course, Cobra replica owners. When I was researching what size stroker to build, there was very little published info available. Fortunatlely, there was quite a bit of discussion on this forum (with lots of charts and graphs from Andy Dunn), and lots of info on the Mustang forums. Include that, and I'd buy it.

Pete
Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After about two years of research and writing, plus waiting for the process to edit and print it, my new book is on the shelves or Internet. Sorry to say, it's not on Small-block Fords, although a lot of Ford stuff is pictured. However, the publisher agreed on a generic pushrod racing engine book, so that's what I did. Worked out of a racing engine shop for two years. The book is called The Racing Engine Builder's Handbook. It includes a lot of math, clearance checking, discussion on materials and coatings plus basic machining, checking and assembly processes.

Now for my next book: My publisher and the guys at Ford--what few are left--have leaned on me to do a performance book on the 4.6/5.4 Modular Ford. As a result, I'm now working with a couple of engine builders who have a lot of experience with these engines. Once I'm done with this book, I will do a small-block performance book.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I have a book written by George Reid "How to Build Max Performance Ford V-8s On A Budget." When he isn't talking down to you, he is telling you things that are flat wrong. Like duration is the number of degrees the cam shaft (should be crank shaft) rotates with the valve lifted. At first I thought it was a missprint, but he explains it in three different sections. The guy flat doesn't know any better. I could go on about the mystakes. If it didn't have some good info on part numbers, I would have asked for my money back. Big dissappointment.

So yes we need some GOOD books on Fords. There are very few out there.