Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bad start to a new relationship

I bought a new SPF from Keith Craft last week, SPF chassis 2895. SPF sold the roller to dealer Jim Creel in January 2009, Jim sold the roller to Keith two or three months ago, and Keith put in a small block 427 and tranny. I love the car. The engine performance in particular is breathtaking. I bought the car new, with less than 80 miles, all of which Keith put on the car after engine installation, making sure everything was perfect. Keith is a real talent and has been a delight to work with. Did I mention? The engine is bad ass (Dyno'ed 580 horsepower, 590 torque).

The outside driver's side mirror was mounted by SPF improperly. From the driver's seat, it reflects the pavement, and even when I loosen the screw and move the mirror up as far as it will go, it still aims too low. Not a big deal, but I figured, after paying $55,000 for a new car, I should get a mirror that works. It needs to be remounted to be functional. And, while this is a small issue, I want the comfort of knowing that SPF will take care of defects in the roller that it built.

So, I called SPF Friday of last week, spoke with Michael, said I had a minor warranty problem, described the mirror issue, and asked what I needed to do to get it resolved. Michael said I had no warranty, that SPF extends a twelve month warranty, and that it begins to run from the date the car is delivered to the dealer (in this case, January 2009), not the date the car is sold to the customer. I told him that seemed wrong and asked: So if you sell a car to a dealer who has it in inventory for twelve months and then sells it to a buyer, are you saying the buyer has no warranty? He said, Yes.

The seems absolutely wrong to me. If Ford sells a car to a dealer, who then later sells it to a customer, the warranty runs from the date of the sale to the customer, not from the date of the Ford sale to the dealer. Michael's position also seems inconsistent with the SPF written warranty that I received with this car, which says: "This warranty begins on the date that the vehicle is delivered to buyer or put into service by the seller as a demonstrator."

Again, I like the car. And the mirror is small ball stuff. But this is a bad start to a new relationship. I did my due diligence. All indications are that SPF has a good reputation. But Michael's position on the warranty issue is wrong. I want to like these people, to trust them, and to have confidence that they will stand behind their product and work. This puts a bad taste in mouth at the start of what I hope will be a long relationship.

Has anyone else tussled with SPF on this issue? Is SPF right and I am just missing something? Should I just forget about my relationship with SPF, pay for any repairs/adjustments for defects in the roller, and move on?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Dallas56,
I had a similar experience with my SPF rear view mirror. It never stayed in adjustment and the more I tightened the screw, the worse it got. Finally I unscrewed the screw (screw head facing the front) until the pieces fell apart in my hand (remember, the post stays on the body). Once it's apart, you'll see how it goes together again. It's kinda tricky and cheap. You know, 50's era British. Once the pieces are all lined up it's easy to figure it out and mount it.
rodneym
Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

The warranty start date doesn't sound legit. I agree with you, it seems the warranty would start when the roller was sold by the dealer, not SPF. I had a similar issue with my mirror and hadn't fooled with it enough to see the front screw to fix. BTW, you got an incredible price on a new Cobra. It would cost you AT LEAST another $5k for you to build one like that! Fix the mirror and forget it.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2914 Sunset / Titanium
Not Ranked     

Dallas,

I have a 2009 SPF2914. My rear view mirror kind of sucks as well. I loosened it and got it in a reasonable position. I also did my own install, and build these for others so am pretty familiar with them. Sometimes they do mount them incorrectly, but most of the time, it is the simple fact that the mirror is too small to do any good. As for the warranty, Michael is wrong, depending on how the paperwork is done. When I got mine, we stored it at the dealer until I had my engine and everything here, then submitted the paperwork to Superformance, so my warranty would not start ticking away. If they marked the car as sold to Keith, and listed him as an owner, then Michael is correct. I do have some contacts within the company and quite a bit of info if you want, contact me offline.

Andrei
Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Under federal law, "a written warranty" (also called an express warranty) is any written promise made in connection with the sale of a consumer product by a supplier to a consumer that relates to the material and/or workmanship and that affirms that the product is defect-free or will meet a certain standard of performance over a specified time.
Also under federal law, "a consumer" is a buyer of consumer goods for personal use and a buyer of consumer products for resale is not a consumer.

Sounds like the Magnuson-Moss Act says that if Superformance offers a warranty, it can only be in connection with the sale of their product to you, the consumer, not the dealer.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Seems like a missed opportunity for SPF to provide some reasonable customer satisfaction to develop a loyal customer! I hope nothing big goes wrong!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanoochka View Post
under federal law, "a written warranty" (also called an express warranty) is any written promise made in connection with the sale of a consumer product by a supplier to a consumer that relates to the material and/or workmanship and that affirms that the product is defect-free or will meet a certain standard of performance over a specified time.
Also under federal law, "a consumer" is a buyer of consumer goods for personal use and a buyer of consumer products for resale is not a consumer.

sounds like the magnuson-moss act says that if superformance offers a warranty, it can only be in connection with the sale of their product to you, the consumer, not the dealer.
I too love reading the the big fine print in the law!!!!...
In the end what's the old saying "the consumer is always right!!"....
It doesn't cost a lot to keep a consumer happy.!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Dallas56,

Did you contact a regional dealer to discuss the issue with your mirror? If you haven't done so already, contact Lance at Hillbank in Irvine directly. I'm certain that they'll take car of the issue.

BTW - Once you get the mirror firmly attached, it's useless. I put a convex mirror in the enclosure and it's a little better than the original.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I would contact them in writing, Email should do. do not give them a phone number in hopes they respond in writing. Once they deny you and you have written proof I would contact them again and tell them you will be contacting your states attorney general. Just state the facts. Not having a usable mirror is a safety hazard, I sure would hate to see you get hurt do to safety concerns of your new car. I'm sure a lawyer would be all over them.

Bottom line you could be a bigger prick then they ever could.

Car4jim is right,
"Seems like a missed opportunity for SPF to provide some reasonable customer satisfaction to develop a loyal customer! I hope nothing big goes wrong!"

Ya think Toyota told customers, "sorry your warranty is up!"

Last edited by Ralphy; 03-29-2010 at 10:25 PM..
Old 03-29-2010, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Doug gave you solid advice--contact Lance Stander at Hillbank directly (and don't jack around with anybody else). I suspect Lance will make things right for you.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

Last year my wife was looking at a brand new (never titled) 2007 Honda S2000. According to the dealer, the warranty had already started to run and precious little was left.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRANIP View Post
Last year my wife was looking at a brand new (never titled) 2007 Honda S2000. According to the dealer, the warranty had already started to run and precious little was left.
I believe most manufacturers start reducing the warranty at about two years after date of manufacture. I don't imagine it applies to many vehicles.

Well, full-size GM and Dodge SUVs, I guess.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The Warranty for a New motor vehicle sold in the USA begins when it is initally sold to the first purchaser.

Because the SPF is not a complete vehicle (as imported) and is completed by the purchaser or dealer these same warranties may not apply.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-30-2010, 03:18 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Solution:

Call me at 716 407 0975 and I will have a new mirror shipped to you no charge and if needed, arrange for installation by a third party.

You do not actually have a "dealer" as Kieth Craft was a "reseller" and not a "dealer" for Superformance. (not a knock on KC, he does great work and builds very fine engines) but is not an authorized Superformance dealer.

The selling Superformance dealer is responsible for some of the initial warranty costs and would have resolved this issue for you.

Either call me or email me info(AT)timemachinesauto.com and we will do our best to help.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-30-2010, 04:21 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Also, small point, but on a MK III the mirror is shipped uninstalled, only the mounting bracket is put on at the factory so the mirror is installed and adjusted by the "dealer".

The mounting bracket can only be installed one way for the mirror to face reward, so the issue is with the mirror installation and adjustment. I am sure the existing mirror can be rectified, but will still send you a new unit that you may use (or install on the right side if you choose) so that you may be completely satisfied with your SPF!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

If I am not mistaken, the side view mirror as mounted on the fender has one central screw adjustment and then the mirror (Convex in design and not symmetrical) can be adjusted to point in, out, up and down. Some of this is done with the physical adjustment of the mirror itself, the rest is done by the turning of the mirror assembly so as to point the convex outside of the mirror just the opposite of how you want to see while sitting in the drivers seat. No matter where the mirror is mounted, as long as you can see the face of it from your seated position in the drivers seat, you should be able to adjust the mirror face to show the side of the car and a potential blind spot.

Two pictures attached for a visual check on what you are describing.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 12-26-2010 at 01:57 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Dallas56,
First, congratulations on your new MKIII!! I have just reach 12,000 miles on mine with little to no issues. I had the fender mounted mirror removed and the holes filed in, and went with the windshield mounted side mirrors. all the difference in the world. I also have the best painter and group of guys who maintain and service my MKIII, never had to worry about getting repairs correct.
You will also want to join SCOF as an owner of a Superformance vehicle. A very interesting group of guys and gals, all owners and some very creative personalities, you will enjoy being a member, not just for the knowledge they share but the entertainment they provide as well.

Like Mark IV’s offer to replace your mirror at no charge, this is the type of owners group you will be joining!!! By the way, I think I also have a spare mirror somewhere in my stash.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default So WITF is this Michael, he is totally wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas56 View Post
I bought a new SPF from Keith Craft last week, SPF chassis 2895. SPF sold the roller to dealer Jim Creel in January 2009, Jim sold the roller to Keith two or three months ago, and Keith put in a small block 427 and tranny. I love the car. The engine performance in particular is breathtaking. I bought the car new, with less than 80 miles, all of which Keith put on the car after engine installation, making sure everything was perfect. Keith is a real talent and has been a delight to work with. Did I mention? The engine is bad ass (Dyno'ed 580 horsepower, 590 torque).

The outside driver's side mirror was mounted by SPF improperly. From the driver's seat, it reflects the pavement, and even when I loosen the screw and move the mirror up as far as it will go, it still aims too low. Not a big deal, but I figured, after paying $55,000 for a new car, I should get a mirror that works. It needs to be remounted to be functional. And, while this is a small issue, I want the comfort of knowing that SPF will take care of defects in the roller that it built.

So, I called SPF Friday of last week, spoke with Michael, said I had a minor warranty problem, described the mirror issue, and asked what I needed to do to get it resolved. Michael said I had no warranty, that SPF extends a twelve month warranty, and that it begins to run from the date the car is delivered to the dealer (in this case, January 2009), not the date the car is sold to the customer. I told him that seemed wrong and asked: So if you sell a car to a dealer who has it in inventory for twelve months and then sells it to a buyer, are you saying the buyer has no warranty? He said, Yes.

The seems absolutely wrong to me. If Ford sells a car to a dealer, who then later sells it to a customer, the warranty runs from the date of the sale to the customer, not from the date of the Ford sale to the dealer. Michael's position also seems inconsistent with the SPF written warranty that I received with this car, which says: "This warranty begins on the date that the vehicle is delivered to buyer or put into service by the seller as a demonstrator."

Again, I like the car. And the mirror is small ball stuff. But this is a bad start to a new relationship. I did my due diligence. All indications are that SPF has a good reputation. But Michael's position on the warranty issue is wrong. I want to like these people, to trust them, and to have confidence that they will stand behind their product and work. This puts a bad taste in mouth at the start of what I hope will be a long relationship.

Has anyone else tussled with SPF on this issue? Is SPF right and I am just missing something? Should I just forget about my relationship with SPF, pay for any repairs/adjustments for defects in the roller, and move on?
Dallas 56, I have no idea who this Michael is but clearly he has no idea what he is doing. I have just returned from Hi-Tech Automotive in Port Elizabeth South Africa to check out how my own roller was progressing and met the owner of the Superformance Brand, Jimmie Price, he is without a doubt one of the most straight shooting guys I have ever met and is passionate about the quality of the rollers he sells. It is extremely doubtfull he or his team would ever let such a situation happen on one of the rollers they sell. Further, if he heard of the type of bull**** that you are being fed he would no doubt fire the guy. That said, send Lance Stander at Superformance in California an email, his email addres is lances@hillbankusa.com and tell him the type of misinformation you are being fed. Lance is the president of Superformance and has total accountabilty for distribution and sales of the Superformance brand world wide, thus he is the go to guy for resolution.

I would like to suggest that you do not judge the services or realtionship that can be had with Superformance based on one misguided and ill informed person. You made a great choice with the Superformance MK111.

Please send me a private email and I will make sure you get satisfaction at Hillbank. tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 03-30-2010 at 06:19 AM..
Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I have SPF #2932 and the side mirror was useless from the get go unless you wanted a great view of your rear fender.

No adjustment will give you the view you want.

Replacing it is not the answer either. Just buy a stick on convex mirror from your local auto parts store and you will have the best view and you will be able to see that blind spot to your left.

Last edited by jhv48; 03-30-2010 at 10:44 AM..
Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Loosen the screw on the back of the mirror and rotate to get the proper adjustement, but I still recommend a convex mirror to put over the existing to make it usefull.

As far as Superformance your issue is with Keith Craft not Superformance!!!! Why did you not call Keith Craft?????? You purchased KC not Superformance or an authorized SPF dealer.

The bottom line is you have the best replica Cobra on the market bar none. At least you did your due diligence in picking the right car.