Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

When I was doing tho 'ol SPF vs BDR thing, I also felt I would be happy very happy with either. I drove both and neither was a slam dunk. I ended up going with a used SPF (private party) because it was a local SB-100 car at a good price.
After about 6 mos of ownership, the Pomona Roadster show came to town and the SPF and BDR displays were 20 ft apart. I went back and forth, driving my son crazy, comparing welds, glass work, fit, finish, and fit again. I came away from that comparo feeling very good about my decision on the SPF.
BTW, recently I did the KMP vs glass CSX (at Hillbank). I ended up with the KMP, but still the gang at Hillbank helped me with everything I needed for the dreaded CA reg process, SB-100. And that was before they got my business of selling my SPF, which sold for more than I bought it, in 4 days.

Just my .02.

rodneym
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well it's nice to see you not gratuitously bashing either for a change....
You don't me to do a "Dean (aka Red)" on you would you?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
You don't me to do a "Dean (aka Red)" on you would you?
Ahhh, man... I had just started to get over him and there you go and bring up his name again.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 427cu (351W)
Not Ranked     

I had both, so I will try to compare both the cars. My Backdraft had a Ford 342R, the SPF has a 393cu Ford.

Weight: Backdraft is lighter, maybe the SPF has a more rigid chassis, suitable also for Big Block power.
Dimensions: the Backdraft has a 92"wheelbase, the SPF the original 90"
Handling: this has much to do with the setup of the car. I think the Backdraft handles a bit better.
The Backdraft has a more modern approach with electronic gauges. The SPF is more authentic.
Bodystyle: a previous photo's show: the bodies are different. Follow your personal taste.
Overall build quality: here the dealer makes a great difference. I think the SPF has a better overall quality
Support: both brands have a large owners group who know a lot about their cars. SPF (SCOF) has a very, very good technical library. I am not sure Backdraft has one.
Resale value: you pay more for the SPF, but the resale value is also higher.

Both cars are great. You cannot go wrong with either one. Both can be upgraded to your personal tast. I now have a SPF. For me: if you want a sixties looking car don't go for a modern style recreation of it, go for one that looks like the original. My SPF is great, it is the best present I ever bought for myself. Every drive in it makes me smile for days.
There are not many SPF's where I live. At meetings other Cobra owners look at my SPF and say: there is something different that makes your car look better than the others. I know this is because it looks more original. So, the SPF is a very good Cobra and more original and I like that.
An important factor is the dealer. Both cars can have small issues. A good dealer nearby is an important factor.

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1235
Not Ranked     

[quote=RodKnock;1044138]No. Kirkham or Shelby (which has a Kirkham body) are the only major companies offering aluminum bodies.

Superformance does offer an aluminum body as an option. Check thier website.
Superformance #1235
460/T5
Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont View Post
Superformance does offer an aluminum body as an option. Check thier website.
On their roadster? I couldn't find it on their site. Can you post a link?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1235
Not Ranked     

Scroll down to the body section. http://www.superformance.com/mkIII_specs.aspx
Superformance #1235
460/T5
Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont View Post
Scroll down to the body section. http://www.superformance.com/mkIII_specs.aspx
Yes sir, there it is. Any idea of the incremental cost? Has anyone ever purchased that particular upgrade?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes sir, there it is. Any idea of the incremental cost? Has anyone ever purchased that particular upgrade?
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I didn't know you could get an aluminum bodied SPF. I wonder how much.

Where do they source the body? Do they get it from Kirkham and, if so, do they bang and mold it into a SPF-style body?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I didn't know you could get an aluminum bodied SPF. I wonder how much.

Where do they source the body? Do they get it from Kirkham and, if so, do they bang and mold it into a SPF-style body?
In my best Johnny Carson voice (which is bad) "I did not know that."

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-14-2010, 12:54 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
I applaud you Bill for your unbiased input.
Thanks, I'm just tired of a one sided opinion when it come to SPF and BDR cars. I just notice that a Superformance Dealers don't get the same attention of being one sided. I understand they need to stroke themselves a little more than the rest of us, but come on. Anyways

Both cars are great and it sure is great playing and building both. I have done many of each. I have three Spf in for service right now. Not to mention several BDR's. Now if I can only get the rest of CVG area cobra's to stop in. Rent needs to be paid!!!

Bill

www.gcperf.com
Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Well since you live in CT you need to come and see us. We can also navigate you through the CT registration process, including taking it through inspection for a fee. I know SPF won't do that
Right you are,

We will not do that, at least in New York, as it is NOT legal! We cannot register a "self build" component vehicle for a customer. We can and do offer advice. We also do not sell "turn key" cars into the US. We do not sell powertrain components to people that we have sold chassis' to. We CAN sell powertrain to someone who bought from another dealer or do turn key to people outside the US.

And we do not "rat out" those who have violated the US and state regulations despite that they might be considered "competitors" as we don't want to encourage additional regulation and inspection of this industry.

And speaking for myself, I do not post on other manufacturers forums to promote or offer my products.

The BDR is a fine product and right for many customers, so is the ERA, etc. There is no need to snipe in other forums top promote our products.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     

Sounds like crying to me Bill. When was the last time a SPF Dealer even posted on this forum, yet alone being one sided. Talk about come on, go look in the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blittleton View Post
Thanks, I'm just tired of a one sided opinion when it come to SPF and BDR cars. I just notice that a Superformance Dealers don't get the same attention of being one sided. I understand they need to stroke themselves a little more than the rest of us, but come on. Anyways

Both cars are great and it sure is great playing and building both. I have done many of each. I have three Spf in for service right now. Not to mention several BDR's. Now if I can only get the rest of CVG area cobra's to stop in. Rent needs to be paid!!!

Bill

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodard View Post
When was the last time a SPF Dealer even posted on this forum
Um,

One post ago......

Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Right you are,

We will not do that, at least in New York, as it is NOT legal! We cannot register a "self build" component vehicle for a customer. We can and do offer advice. We also do not sell "turn key" cars into the US. We do not sell powertrain components to people that we have sold chassis' to. We CAN sell powertrain to someone who bought from another dealer or do turn key to people outside the US.

And we do not "rat out" those who have violated the US and state regulations despite that they might be considered "competitors" as we don't want to encourage additional regulation and inspection of this industry.

And speaking for myself, I do not post on other manufacturers forums to promote or offer my products.

The BDR is a fine product and right for many customers, so is the ERA, etc. There is no need to snipe in other forums top promote our products.
With all due respect... how many companies do you operate? Notice I said "we" that means the BDR dealer and the 3rd party powertrain installer.

Pot / Black.

The OP asked about the 2 cars, I suggested he visit both. That's more than fair. How's biz?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
With all due respect... how many companies do you operate? Notice I said "we" that means the BDR dealer and the 3rd party powertrain installer.

Pot / Black.

The OP asked about the 2 cars, I suggested he visit both. That's more than fair. How's biz?
Biz is "less bad" as one guy explained his companies outlook on the current economy.

I operate ONE and only ONE business entity, Time Machines Motorsports LLC. No "affiliated" operations, no "sister" compnies and no other "arms length" entities.

"Third Party" installer....OK, sure and of course you do not invoice/collect or bill the customer for the total amount, right?

And while I am in "Smart Ass" mode, why hasn't any BDR dealer posted a reply on the tread with the guy asking about replacing a halfshaft? Should I reply? I could of course state that BDRs commonly puke halfshafts (of course I know this is not true, only when abused will they fail. You guys do use quailty parts...and so does SPF, ERA, Riverside and most others). We can snipe at each other forever or we do a "Rodney King" and "all just get along".

Hey,
No hard feelings, really. Let's get together at Carlisle and I'll buy a few barley pops................

Old 04-14-2010, 05:44 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Biz is "less bad" as one guy explained his companies outlook on the current economy.

I operate ONE and only ONE business entity, Time Machines Motorsports LLC. No "affiliated" operations, no "sister" compnies and no other "arms length" entities.

"Third Party" installer....OK, sure and of course you do not invoice/collect or bill the customer for the total amount, right?

And while I am in "Smart Ass" mode, why hasn't any BDR dealer posted a reply on the tread with the guy asking about replacing a halfshaft? Should I reply? I could of course state that BDRs commonly puke halfshafts (of course I know this is not true, only when abused will they fail. You guys do use quailty parts...and so does SPF, ERA, Riverside and most others). We can snipe at each other forever or we do a "Rodney King" and "all just get along".

Hey,
No hard feelings, really. Let's get together at Carlisle and I'll buy a few barley pops................
Maybe Jim has called me personally and his question was answered. We do our business away from forums because of this type of responses.

www.gcperf.com
Old 04-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blittleton View Post
Maybe Jim has called me personally and his question was answered. We do our business away from forums because of this type of responses.
But yet he posted the question on the forum?

Hey, we can go back and forth forever, but the point is, we stay off YOUR forum.

And if you doubt my answer about "how many companies I have" (although you did not question my reply) I can provide the website for NYS and all of my information so you can research my corporate history. Three companies over 35 years only one of which is still in existance with me as a shareholder/officer/employee/etc.

The beer offer still stands of course!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Hey,
You got 2 things right... atleast
Old 04-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey,

As I recall, you are ALSO a member of the "hosed by Lubinsky" club. There are not many survivors so be nice to me...................

As my mother used to say "don't make me come over there" (i.e. your forum!)