Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-18-2010, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default This car is special, for special people...

...special people who can tell the difference between a mere replica and one that is Licensed by GM, endorsed by the Duntov Family, yes the same family as Zora's. And the term replica should be used not lightly here but in the highest context, one that the Duntov Motor Company was very much a part of.

Actually taking a 63 Corvette, chop it off and make it look like one of these exquisite replicas would actually be an abortion and less valuable since the real Grandsports and the production Corvettes were drastically different under the skin to begin with. This replica in the truest sense replicates the fabrication of the Original Grandsports from the ground up instead of a botched up approach to cloning.

This car has direct connection to the genes of the originals, Corporate, Family... what else is needed to give this Re-Creation its due credibility? Who else can claim these genes?

I just wish I could afford one, I would buy one in a HEARTBEAT, get it... hint, hint, OF AMERICA that is.

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 11-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
I like quiche.
Ergo.....
Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjack View Post
Look Chas, you don't like Superformance. I got that. Two or three of your posts ago. Actually, many threads ago. You say it. Then you say it. Then you say it again.

It is unwarranted. Not nice. People who are contemplating purchase of a car read this.

If you would like some unsolicited, unfair rants about a manufacturer you like, keep it up.

Jack
Jack;
A. I have never written that I 'don't like SPF'-nor any other manufacturer in my 7 years here. Stated for your understanding, I have little respect for replica vehicles which have morphed into modern interpretations (and their followers) and go away from the raw-boned experiences Cobras and GS' were. It's missing the point in an expensive way for the ability to be a show-off. The deceased original D&D GS was just such a raw-boned effort and captured the original's character perfectly. I know because I saw and drove one. This car is all about show biz and credentials-GM is throwing marketing money at Cup, Indycar, Sprints and now apparently check-book replica owners. The Duntov connection is without the pivotal player who WAS the real deal-Zora. I feel the same way about countless 4000 pound signature series Mustangs from Shelby and Roush-designed to create hype and extract money from the 'car-guys'. The companies are out to make money-I don't hate them for that.
B. I have written this PRECISELY because people might contemplate buying this. I'm stating clearly that it's my opinion that they will get no real value out of this exorbitantly priced effort and have few eager buyers waiting when the shine wears off. There are many more rewarding automotive experiences for $100K+ than this.
C.We're all allowed to express opinions here, solicited or not. The perceptive among us have learned to ignore an opinion they disagree with or to debate it on the points made with counter views and evidence. In fact, you haven't countered any of my points about expense or anything else I wrote, you just said I'm not a nice player.
D.That's quite a threat there Jack. There are about 6 manufacturers I 'like' so feel free to make any rants you care to. Since I have the most experience with ERA, I'm eager to discuss any criticisms you have, assuming you have the experience to back them up. In a thread of your choosing.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A couple of thoughts; This isn't about SPF nearly as much at it is about their new product, the GS. The various comments here are valid in that regard, some like this, or that, or want it different in some way, but I just don't see that as tieing back to SPF at this point. The same discussion and reasoning would apply to ANYBODY doing this project.

But let's look at the SPF, GM, Duntov "gene" and "pedigree" issue that gives it "credibility" train of thought.

I don't see where the new REPLICA GS has any more pedigree back to GM than an FFR has pedigree back to Ford. In all cases, SPF, Shelby, Kirkham, FFR, ERA, they all have one thing in common, they are REPLICAS. As was noted in the recent law suit Shelby vs FFR in the Judges written opinion. He stated; Essentially there is no difference between a Shelby and an FFR in that they are both replicas. The new GS is a replica as well. It's not made by GM in a GM plant by GM engineers, it's a licensed product, like an SPF Cobra is a licensed product. Like any other endorsed/licensed product, tooth paste, guitars, perfume, motorcycles, the list in endless. To some that endorsement/license deal carries significant weight. Others could care less, it's still a replica...

In this case, and others, SPF likes the idea of a licensed product for the "credibility" it might bring to a product. Licensing, "it's way they roll", it's a valid game plan that targets a specific segment of the market. If it add's value for YOU, that's great, your in that targeted segment. If you see a connection back to Duntov, terrific! It doesn't add value to ME and I don't see that connection. I see a product, now strip away the hype, the marketing, the license. Is it STILL a good product? Anything after that is gravy!

SPF makes a nice product, I suspect the new GS will be on par with the company standards, a well built replica.

Last edited by Excaliber; 11-18-2010 at 07:11 PM..
Old 11-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Wonder what the reaction to the SPF GS is on the Corvette and Grand Sport Forums ?

Seeing there are only 5 originals.......it's either a replica or nothing for the enthusiasts where the Corvette is the primary car to own
Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Wonder what the reaction to the SPF GS is on the Corvette and Grand Sport Forums ?

Seeing there are only 5 originals.......it's either a replica or nothing for the enthusiasts where the Corvette is the primary car to own
Are you kidding? The Vette owner is by and large a purist. There is no love lost with the old or new GS replicas. Heck, they turn their noses up when you have a replacement one-piece fiberglass front end on you Vette. Whenever I parked at a Vette show, you would constantly see the purist feeling the bottoms of the fenders to see if you had original panels.

You should have seen their faces when I told them I had a 540ci Dart block with a Tremec TKO600 5-speed, though original appearing.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Jack;
A. I have never written that I 'don't like SPF'-nor any other manufacturer in my 7 years here. Stated for your understanding, I have little respect for replica vehicles which have morphed into modern interpretations (and their followers) and go away from the raw-boned experiences Cobras and GS' were. It's missing the point in an expensive way for the ability to be a show-off. The deceased original D&D GS was just such a raw-boned effort and captured the original's character perfectly. I know because I saw and drove one. This car is all about show biz and credentials-GM is throwing marketing money at Cup, Indycar, Sprints and now apparently check-book replica owners. The Duntov connection is without the pivotal player who WAS the real deal-Zora. I feel the same way about countless 4000 pound signature series Mustangs from Shelby and Roush-designed to create hype and extract money from the 'car-guys'. The companies are out to make money-I don't hate them for that.
B. I have written this PRECISELY because people might contemplate buying this. I'm stating clearly that it's my opinion that they will get no real value out of this exorbitantly priced effort and have few eager buyers waiting when the shine wears off. There are many more rewarding automotive experiences for $100K+ than this.
C.We're all allowed to express opinions here, solicited or not. The perceptive among us have learned to ignore an opinion they disagree with or to debate it on the points made with counter views and evidence. In fact, you haven't countered any of my points about expense or anything else I wrote, you just said I'm not a nice player.
D.That's quite a threat there Jack. There are about 6 manufacturers I 'like' so feel free to make any rants you care to. Since I have the most experience with ERA, I'm eager to discuss any criticisms you have, assuming you have the experience to back them up. In a thread of your choosing.
Chas, you wrote a darned nice rebuttal.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

SPF Grand Sport: Corvette Forum

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...and-sport.html
Old 11-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does anyone have Ronnie Kruger's and Jim Price's email addresses? Also, does anyone know if Ronnie Kruger ever finished the book he was writing about the SPF experience?

Thanks,
Dan

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Semko View Post
Does anyone have Ronnie Kruger's and Jim Price's email addresses? Also, does anyone know if Ronnie Kruger ever finished the book he was writing about the SPF experience?

Thanks,
Dan
Ronnie is still revising the chapter on you, Dan. I have seen the galleys.........

It took a Corvette thread to roust you from hibernation?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     

Dan, I have been trying to get a hold of you for years(s). Call me some time. Soon. Oh, and Dave says "hi".

Randall.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Sorry if I chilled your quiche, Knockers. Surely it will find a niche-among the 'look-at-me' crowd. Not the 'make-it-run-like-the-original' crowd. The total character of the original is lost with e-control harnesses and clap trap, AC and what ever else SPF will deem the well-heeled clueless want. How soon 'til we see these on BJ??
We can agree to disagree about the new canvas vs 'POS' starting point. Starting with a new aluminum KMP-I agree. Starting with this weak effort from SPF-I disagree. They're talking $100K entry and I'd rather make a complete, running old mid-year new for that money with the build direction I described.
This is sort o' like 'let's build an F14 replica with Cessna 110 innards'.
I'm glad it's a tangent to the Cobra market-we've already got our own armrest and cup-holder crowd.
Point taken about early car trunks but you DO get my point. As long as golf bags fit back there SPF will be able to peddle these.
I'm certain the SPF's of the world are scouring the vintage race landscape looking for material to 'modernize' and domesticate a new product for eager, non-tech spenders. That's where the money is.
you could buy a 65 vette no matching numbers go thrue it with l88 flares your tire and wheel choice a nice bbc with a richmond 5 speed, do the suspension up grades, junk all the steel stuff to the nice alluminum ones , get the rack and pinion stering kit, new interior, along with powder coating the frame, and your set, for a hell of a lot less.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance and GM unveil their 1963 Corvette Grand Sport

Era.Chas wrote: With a 271,000 sq. ft. SA assembly location and the [u]minusculelabor costs there, even the proprietary foundry castings and tooling should allow a roller cost of $65K.

Miniscule labor cost?: At the last count, labor cost in even a relatively small auto plant like HiTech Automotive runs to R135 and hour: at the current exchange rate of R6 to US$, that translates to $22,50 an hour. Miniscule?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Mark IV,
I'm REALLY looking forward to reading his version. The absolute irony is that both Turk and I predicted the SPF/Shelby alliance and unfortuantely we both suffered the wrath of ______ (fill in the blank) Wayne Stoker where are you??lol and the Rosens and .....

Randall, you haven't looked very hard, I've been around and Dave didn't really say hi you rascal!

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 06-26-2011, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Yeah he did...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2899 Dart 440 stroker 771 hp w/nitrous
Not Ranked     

Hey Randy...Thanks for the info. Now, should I get a Grand Sport or a Parana Z1? lol
Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Why are people on this site being so soft on this? I personally don't care who makes it or how much it costs; it's a f-ing GM plastic frog. Why is it on this site? This isn't "clubkitcar" .com or "clubileghumpSPF" .com, it’s club cobra. It’s where I come to get away from the constant GM barrage and poke gentle fun at those who feel compelled to put a GM lump into a Cobra. Speaking of that, the one good thing about this pig is that it'll give the GM crowd something to put their lumps into other than Cobras. For what it's worth it's any ugly POS as well, looks like it was designed to take off. Granted, Cobras are bricks, aerodynamically speaking of course. But by the time this pile came along they should've known better. Look at the freaky high nose, think some air's gonna pile under there at speed? And what's with the giant Gillette 5 blade razor thing sticking out of the hood? They couldn’t come up with something more functional than that? Or did some GM doucher think that it actually looked good? Face it. It was a still-born POS that was squashed by vaginally enhanced GM executives. End of story. Wana read another chapter on this abortion? Go to a vette site, I’m sure they’re all a twitter about it. You can join in. Tell’em you’re a Cobra convert; that’ll get the whinny juices going.

He he he, that aughta’ get some blood a pumpin’!

PS. a side note here; calling someone a "spf hater" or "bdr hater" or just using the word "hater" in general shows an extreme lack of testosterone and you should probably have your huevos checked by competant medical people.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

GO lovehamr!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSemko View Post
Yeah he did...
Naw, this is just anoher one of those "fakey do" responses similar to what the REAL ONE used to post.

Randall, I've been waiting for that SPF campaign cobra for months and still no transporter in sight. Kind of like the book that Ronnie Kruger promised with a dedicated chapter!

Last edited by Dan Semko; 06-27-2011 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-27-2011, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, Rousch 402
Not Ranked     

you all never seem to amaze me as to how much someone will bash another make simply because it is not what they have/drive. wow wow wow. BS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: