Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Rear wheel slots and rear valance holes

With all the interest in the new Superformance Grand Sport regarding some of the authenticity features, I was able to call Lance Stander, CEO of Superformance USA and ask him specifically about two of those while he is still on the floor at SEMA.

Lance tells me that some customers may prefer the "cleaner" look of the SEMA car. As you know, some look at the Grand Sport as being "ugly" or "gaudy". So these few little deleted features may be just what those people would like. However, for the purist and the historic enthusiast, there will be options to include BOTH the rear wheel fender vents as well as the holes in the rear valance just like the originals. And it may not stop just there.

As you know, not all the Grand Sports were absolutely identical as the year progressed each were changed slightly by their owners in their own ways. It appears Superformance may offer to replicate those individual changes as well as add more authenticity to the engine compartment for those choosing to use more period correct power plants. I think their goal is to offer as a feature, a truly spot-on mirror image of the original as well as a more street and comfort friendly Grand Sport. Superformance has done exactly that with the GT40 and is still creating new options even today for that line.

Like it was said, this was prepared in the typical SEMA rush time frame like so many others do as well. I've been told there is a lot more is to come from Superformance and the 1963 Corevette Grand Sport in the very near future as full production is enganged and cars start rolling through their huge 270,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Port Elizabeth.

I thought I heard posters in this thread might get a discount... not sure tho. I think I'll try it out myself and see 8-)

Randall
Old 11-17-2010, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default SEMA video

Here are two new videos capturing the excitment at SEMA surrounding Superformance;

Grandsport Debut... (starts a 4:25)
http://www.youtube.com/user/GMPerfor.../2/FrvrQVctnJk

Interview with Lance Stander and focus on the Grand Sport...
http://www.youtube.com/user/GMPerfor.../5/PRPQ1rxCCfw

Randall
Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ugly exhaust it needs 4" side pipes.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

SEMA & Superformance Press Releases:

GMPP AND SUPERFORMANCE TEAM UP FOR A CORVETTE MASTERPIECE

Built for nothing more than pure speed, the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport announced to the world that Chevrolet was ready to take on all comers. Under the direction of Zora Arkus-Duntov, Chevrolet engineers built a lightweight racecar, served up 500+ horsepower small blocks, and sent the competition back to the drawing board. Unfortunately, only five of them were ever built.

At SEMA this year, we were stoked to bring the spirit of this Corvette classic to a wider audience with the E-ROD Corvette Grand Sport. Thanks to the collaborative efforts of Chevrolet, Duntov Motor Company, and Superformance LLC, the E-ROD Corvette Grand Sport is a stunning true-to-form replica of the vaunted '63 Grand Sport.

Owning an original Grand Sport is not an option for most of us. With this painstakingly re-created Corvette Grand Sport, that original experience is finally within reach. The Superformance E-ROD Corvette Grand Sport coupe or roadster is now available as a complete TKM (turn key minus) vehicle, awaiting your choice of engine and transmission. Our build team chose the top dog — the 556 hp/551 lb-ft. E-ROD LSA.

http://www.superformance.com/News_Vi...x?Articleid=90
Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The hype and marketing BS accompanying this new car are in full swing. The more clear-eyed among us here have already picked it's bones clean. It's SPF's vision of what a street GS should look like-but there was no such thing. (There WERE street Cobras).
I've the greatest respect for the original five-but not this Shelby-like hoopla car. With a 271,000 sq. ft. SA assembly location and the minuscule labor costs there, even the proprietary foundry castings and tooling should allow a roller cost of $65K.
For $90 to 100K, a '64-'66 coupe with coilover, heim-jointed, bronze bushed suspension and rigid chassis, powered by an aluminum 540 BBC making 700HP can be built. Right here. Which would bury this SPF in all performance categories and look much less obnoxious. Even have a 'trunk' for Nancys who require such equipment.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It looks great to me!
Now this "Hi Tech" name SPF now uses bothers me because to those of us who've been around Cobra replicas for a while know of the old HiTech cars and how accurate they were. This isn't the same company though but it still bothers me.
But I do like the GS car.
Larry
Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

2,400 lbs is impressive. I wonder what the original's weighed in at?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1870 lbs http://www.grandsportcorvette.com/gs/gsdiff.htmhttp://www.theautochannel.com/news/d...ews005950.html
Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Isn't there already a good GS replica out there?
How does it compare to the Superformance GS?

And while I'm asking questions, MkIV mentioned the SPF MkII. That is different than the Riverside Racers FIA, right? Yet all made by HiTech, but not THAT old HiTech.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
For $90 to 100K, a '64-'66 coupe with coilover, heim-jointed, bronze bushed suspension and rigid chassis, powered by an aluminum 540 BBC making 700HP can be built. Right here. Which would bury this SPF in all performance categories and look much less obnoxious. Even have a 'trunk' for Nancys who require such equipment.
Yes, but it's not a licensed GS from GM.

Man, Chas, take it easy on the car. It's a new entry in the replica market and let's see if it finds a niche. As I mentioned before, I would rather start with a brand new canvas rather than some old POS mid-year that needs everything to be new or rebuilt.

BTW, '62 was the last year for trunks in Vettes. The mid-years ('63-'67) did not have a trunk.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
It looks great to me!
Now this "Hi Tech" name SPF now uses bothers me because to those of us who've been around Cobra replicas for a while know of the old HiTech cars and how accurate they were. This isn't the same company though but it still bothers me.
But I do like the GS car.
Larry
hi-tech is what Superformance South Africa has always been named , they couldn't get the name Hi-tech in the U.S because Mr.Gunning already had it . Then they sold the Superformance name to Hillbank , i think , and started doing what they were always suposed to do be , a manufactor, not a sales company .
SDR
________
Drug Testing Kit

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Man, Chas, take it easy on the car. It's a new entry in the replica market and let's see if it finds a niche. As I mentioned before, I would rather start with a brand new canvas rather than some old POS mid-year that needs everything to be new or rebuilt.
Sorry if I chilled your quiche, Knockers. Surely it will find a niche-among the 'look-at-me' crowd. Not the 'make-it-run-like-the-original' crowd. The total character of the original is lost with e-control harnesses and clap trap, AC and what ever else SPF will deem the well-heeled clueless want. How soon 'til we see these on BJ??
We can agree to disagree about the new canvas vs 'POS' starting point. Starting with a new aluminum KMP-I agree. Starting with this weak effort from SPF-I disagree. They're talking $100K entry and I'd rather make a complete, running old mid-year new for that money with the build direction I described.
This is sort o' like 'let's build an F14 replica with Cessna 110 innards'.
I'm glad it's a tangent to the Cobra market-we've already got our own armrest and cup-holder crowd.
Point taken about early car trunks but you DO get my point. As long as golf bags fit back there SPF will be able to peddle these.
I'm certain the SPF's of the world are scouring the vintage race landscape looking for material to 'modernize' and domesticate a new product for eager, non-tech spenders. That's where the money is.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Isn't there already a good GS replica out there?
How does it compare to the Superformance GS?

And while I'm asking questions, MkIV mentioned the SPF MkII. That is different than the Riverside Racers FIA, right? Yet all made by HiTech, but not THAT old HiTech.

The Mongoose replica is currently in the crosshairs of the "New" GM legal staff. Perhaps the IPO will generate enough cash to allow GM to "live and let live"....I dunno, they don't talk to me.

And the vent holes between the tail lamps and the rear fender vents are optional on the SPF street Grand Sports.

One of the points that some have missed is that the SPF cars will carry not just the "trade dress" of the GS as licensed by GM, but also carry the "Corvette" name, a point that I don't think GM takes very lightly!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sorry if I chilled your quiche, Knockers. Surely it will find a niche-among the 'look-at-me' crowd. Not the 'make-it-run-like-the-original' crowd. The total character of the original is lost with e-control harnesses and clap trap, AC and what ever else SPF will deem the well-heeled clueless want. How soon 'til we see these on BJ??
We can agree to disagree about the new canvas vs 'POS' starting point. Starting with a new aluminum KMP-I agree. Starting with this weak effort from SPF-I disagree. They're talking $100K entry and I'd rather make a complete, running old mid-year new for that money with the build direction I described.
This is sort o' like 'let's build an F14 replica with Cessna 110 innards'.
I'm glad it's a tangent to the Cobra market-we've already got our own armrest and cup-holder crowd.
Point taken about early car trunks but you DO get my point. As long as golf bags fit back there SPF will be able to peddle these.
I'm certain the SPF's of the world are scouring the vintage race landscape looking for material to 'modernize' and domesticate a new product for eager, non-tech spenders. That's where the money is.
Real men don't eat quiche. Make-it-run-like-the-original? I assume you can, if you want, but a lot of Cobras aren't like that either. Like mine for instance.

I actually have a friend who has a reasonably priced 65 Vette Coupe that I could buy, although a '63 would be correct, but I wouldn't cut it up to replicate the GS. And by the time someone like me finishes off a replica using an original body, we would be at $100,000 +/- anyway. Vettes are very expensive to paint, probably $15,000 +/- and 540's are $15,000 +/-. Add everything else (awesome suspension, interior and brakes) and I would bet it's a wash for me. I also tend to go "all out" if possible.

Anyways, a GT40 or a Daytona Coupe would probably be near or at the top of my list, not a GS.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I actually have a friend who has a reasonably priced 65 Vette Coupe that I could buy, although a '63 would be correct, but I wouldn't cut it up to replicate the GS. And by the time someone like me finishes off a replica using an original body, we would be at $100,000 +/- .
Maybe while I was ranting, I failed to make myself clear. I was just talking about what $100K could buy rather than this SPF. I was not advocating cutting an original car to replicate a GS. Just sayin' how modifying an original as I described was is a much better use of the $$ than this GS replica IMO.
And for the record, your car should run and stop much better than originals. 600HP, lighter and bigger brakes. Of course a driver would be needed to extract that performance envelope.
Uh... and I know about men vs. quiche...
Old 11-18-2010, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I also tend to go "all out" if possible.
Except for a SOHC motor and real magnesium Halibrands.....

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 11-18-2010, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Starting with this weak effort from SPF.
Look Chas, you don't like Superformance. I got that. Two or three of your posts ago. Actually, many threads ago. You say it. Then you say it. Then you say it again.

It is unwarranted. Not nice. People who are contemplating purchase of a car read this.

If you would like some unsolicited, unfair rants about a manufacturer you like, keep it up.

Jack

Last edited by kayakjack; 11-18-2010 at 03:00 PM..
Old 11-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Except for a SOHC motor and real magnesium Halibrands.....
Speaking of dogs on a bone....

If someone had a very nice set of later production magnesium Halibrands, I'd buy them, assuming the price was reasonable.

Chas, I'm very insulted.

I'm actually pretty fast, all things considered. Last summer, out of 87 entries, my pinewood derby car finished 3rd.

That may not be as accomplished as some on this board though.

I'd certainly be happy to run a foot race with most, excepting Usain Bolt, and see who wins too.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I like quiche.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=Excaliber;1087510]Hmmm, replica Cobra's are readily accepted (for the most part) because there won't be any "real" ones showing up at the local cruise in.

Our local Saturday morning hangout usually has two or three original Cobras show up, with a max (so far) of SEVEN originals.

Only ONE Henry J, though.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!