Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2015, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Congrats car looks great. I would make the spinners and quick jacks black to match your pipes.

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyg View Post
Congrats car looks great. I would make the spinners and quick jacks black to match your pipes.
I thought about darkening the spinners. Not the quick jacks though.
The windshield and Roll bars are chrome and I like the contrast. I have seen a "blacked out" cobra and did not like the look.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351w
Not Ranked     

Let us know how the tire balance turns out. Mine just started the same shake you explained, same speeds.

Guy did the static balance, line of weights all on inside of wheel. I told him didn't matter to me if weights were on outside also, but he said no. Looks much better he said, all on inside. I didn't argue, did it at no cost. Only one short drive since having it done, but not up to speeds where shaking starts.

Brett
Old 08-27-2015, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spf645 View Post
Let us know how the tire balance turns out. Mine just started the same shake you explained, same speeds.

Guy did the static balance, line of weights all on inside of wheel. I told him didn't matter to me if weights were on outside also, but he said no. Looks much better he said, all on inside. I didn't argue, did it at no cost. Only one short drive since having it done, but not up to speeds where shaking starts.

Brett
I was impressed by the Lotus Morgan Dealer. The price was $50 to balance them both not 50 a wheel. The good news is that the shake was significantly reduced.

The bad news is that both tires were out of spec. A Roadforce balancer had a large drum that rides against the tires and measures run out. In my case the two tires measured 47 pounds and 26 pounds. Max spec according to Hunter is 16 so I have a problem. I am trying to resolve it right now with Michelin.
The tires have vibrated since the beginning and now they have 600+ miles on them.

Here is a training video for a road force balance machine. Please take it all with a grain of salt, my experience is limited.

When I get replacement tires I am going to bring it back to them and have them balanced. I am considering getting Cobra Valley Ball joints installed and getting the alignment redone during that visit. I am not sold on the magic of the ball joints but I figure they can't hurt.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRAK3mc790"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRAK3mc790[/ame]
Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Get The ball joints

Bill
I have SPF 2169, had the shake issue at 50 to 70mph.
Put new tires and 4 wheel alignment and proper balancing, and it mostly went away but not all.
Put the CV balljoints in, another 4 wheel alignment and I have NO shake.
Not only that but steering effort is 10 times easier at slower speeds for parking etc.

I believe SPF are still putting in BallJoint out of Chrsyler New Yorker, or at least that's what mine were....when you see whats in there now vs the Cobra Valley BJ you will laugh...

Well worth every penny and single best upgrade I have done so far since I bought the car last fall
Mike
Old 08-27-2015, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351w
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill for the reply.

Looks like balljoints could be a winter project. Thanks also Mike.

Forget slow speed parking, it's the trying to turn wheel fast enough to catch the back end when it's coming around.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spf645 View Post
Thanks Bill for the reply.

Looks like balljoints could be a winter project. Thanks also Mike.

Forget slow speed parking, it's the trying to turn wheel fast enough to catch the back end when it's coming around.
True, but it's amazing what you can do when adrenaline kicks in.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It's not easy catching, and holding, a 90" WB car at the 360 mark when it comes around on you unexpectedly. I've tried it in big open parking lots and, frankly, it's just not easy to do and keep it on any semblance of a straight path. And I don't think the choice of ball joints makes all that much difference on it, but who knows, every little bit helps when you're spinning out of control.... You're really better off just not swapping ends to begin with.

Doing this, in a Cobra, is very difficult:

Last edited by patrickt; 08-28-2015 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Added the vid
Old 08-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Generally speaking, I support the police 99% of the time.
But there's something about a good 'ol car chase that makes me root for the other guy.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Just short of 1,000 miles.

Delivered July 15th have 980 miles on it. I have seen 8 mpg and I have seen 14.

I was turned down at the local drag strip Saturday. I checked their website and it didn't mention arm restraints so stupid me I went without. Second problem would be if you went faster than 13.99 you need a six point cage in an open car. They were not buying my dual roll bars as 6 point. So With arm restraints I would get one run and beat the 13.99. That sets up a bad situation where you would be tempted to go all out on the first run. I am guessing mid 12 are very possible and I don't think high 11's or lower are out of the question. But that is what I was there to see.

I have upgraded my carb return springs to dual springs with a bracket I fab'd up and polished. I am very happy with the positive return to idle and the pedal feel. During the install I found I was not getting WOT. That last 1/4 of the pedal is important. Really moving out now.

I am waiting for warranty replacement tires.

My left rear tire rubs in certain situations. I believe if you tweaked the eccentrics and the heim joint to move the tire out a little it would not rub so I want to get it realigned.

I have Cobra Valley ball joints on order. When the tires come in I am going to have all 4 road force balanced, install the ball joints and have the alignment reset. I am not sure I buy the hype of the ball joints but I need to get it aligned and they can't hurt.

I was supposed to have taller roll bars installed when the car was setup but it did not come together. I think that will be a winter project.

After the roll bars are in I am going to fabricate a "headrest" for the roll bars. I am hoping to come up with a design that does not look horrible and keeps you from whacking your head. On the track you can use a Hans devise to do the same thing.

Coming into spring I should be ready for a track day. There are some other odds and ends but that is the bulk of it.

For the record my engine dyno'd at 560 horse and the session was cut short. There was more there. You can use over 450 hp, it is not something you can do the first day out but it is usable for sure.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: