Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on your first outing Jim.

Mark
Old 09-11-2017, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Jim,

If you want to do COTA you can use my trailer! I think you will need to use the Canyonero Exxon Valdez (Excursion) to tow as I doubt your Jeep is up to it.
Rick,

Thanks for the offer, now all I need to find is a crew to assist me. Doing by yourself is time consuming and detracts from being able to focus on racing.

I also want to extend a thanks to Southern Automotive for a very well built race engine. I had a few different issues to attend to at the race, none of them related to the engine. It ran well and handled some abuse with no complaints. There were several people there running in different classes that blew their brand new engines there.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 09-12-2017 at 05:10 PM..
Old 09-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Jim,

I would LOVE to help but I doubt I can get away for that period. I will let you know.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
For some reason the link to the second video does not work, but it is in youtube. I am going to try the link again, if it does not work go to youtube and search Watkins Glen Vintage Grand Prix Video 2.

Vintage racing is a little less intense as some other forms of racing. The winner gets nothing and we if there is a after car overtaking us we will point them through. Made a friend of Andre Ahrle pointing him through and allowing him to keep pace for a 4th place finish with the 427 Comp Cobra. He asked if I was going to be at COTA in November for the SVRA championship. I said that it was probably not likely unless I found someone with an enclosed trailer to bring the car down and a crew, as there is a high likelihood of snow in upstate NY in November and I have an open trailer.

https://youtu.be/YXqdQS-3Bsl
Morris, I was able to get a friend to get one set of tire temps coming off the track. Temps are listed as the tires sit on the car facing forward.

LF: 100, 101, 109
RF: 105, 96, 93
LR: 122, 123, 124
RR: 105, 109, 107

What do you think?

Jim

LF. RF
100/101/109. 105/96/93

LR. RR
122/123/124. 105/109/107

When you look at these temps.....

1. Tires are not worked hard enough or old tires....temps need to be around 200*degrees

2. RR spring needs to be raised 2 turns or LF needs to be raised 1 turn and RR needs to raise 1 turn

3. Stiffen front sway bar one hole.

4. Pressure needs to come in hot at 30# lbs....on each tire.

5. Probably a right hand turn track.......more rights then lefts....when you run on a right hand turn track....you read LF 1st....then LR then RR then RF....

What was engine temps- water and oil........trans temp ...diff temp.....how much fuel was in car.....

Just some thoughts.......hope it helps....

Morris
Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
LF. RF
100/101/109. 105/96/93

LR. RR
122/123/124. 105/109/107

When you look at these temps.....

1. Tires are not worked hard enough or old tires....temps need to be around 200*degrees

2. RR spring needs to be raised 2 turns or LF needs to be raised 1 turn and RR needs to raise 1 turn

3. Stiffen front sway bar one hole.

4. Pressure needs to come in hot at 30# lbs....on each tire.

5. Probably a right hand turn track.......more rights then lefts....when you run on a right hand turn track....you read LF 1st....then LR then RR then RF....

What was engine temps- water and oil........trans temp ...diff temp.....how much fuel was in car.....

Just some thoughts.......hope it helps....

Morris
Morris,

Thanks! Unfortunately with the transverse leaf springs I do not have the ability to adjust the springs individually for each wheel.
the tires are new, so more than likely was not working the wheels hard enough, first time on the track and I was not pushing hard through the corners as I was not sure how the car would respond and if you watch the video, there are some turns at the Glen, especially in the boot where there is very little runoff, about 3 feet of grass before the retaining wall. I will be pushing the limits a little more the next time out.

I am going to have to do something about the radiator, probably have to block off a portion. On the grid it was getting up to 185 degrees, but on the track I noticed that the water temp was running around 140 degrees. Oil temps were at around 180-185 degrees.

I do not have transmission temps or differential temps. I will need to get some of those temperature strips that you were using.

Jim
Old 09-12-2017, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

I'm sure as you bring the water temp up....the oil will follow....

You just need to spend time in the car running laps and gaining confidence in the car and yourself.....

Good luck and have fun...
Riverside racer likes this.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the cobras first outing.
Sounds like for the most part a very successful outing

Looking forward to more updates.
1795 likes this.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA with a 347 cu in engine
Not Ranked     

Congrats on completing your first race. The car looks and sounds amazing. If you ever have a race at VIR, count on me to help on your pit crew.

Best Regards,
Byron
Riverside racer and 1795 like this.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
....now all I need to find is a crew to assist me. Doing by yourself is time consuming and detracts from being able to focus on racing...
Mate, if I was on the same continent as you, I'd be using my elbows to get to the front of the queue to pit-crew for you!

Glad to hear that the shake-down outing went so well. Best of both luck and fun for future events.

Cheers,
Glen
Riverside racer and 1795 like this.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

Your motor running a thermostat, Jim.?BUT a whole lot easier to raise temps than trying to reduce them!
Wise to start easy and build confidence. Glad you enjoying it.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ross, yes there is a thermostat. I was just thinking that maybe if I had a switch to interrupt the fan when racing that might might keep things warmer. It might be contributing to the over-cooling?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronpete21 View Post
Congrats on completing your first race. The car looks and sounds amazing. If you ever have a race at VIR, count on me to help on your pit crew.

Best Regards,
Byron
Byron,

Thanks for the offer! If I cannot put together a crew for COTA shortly, I may have to go to VIR in a couple of weeks. Want one more race this year before packing things up and winterizing the car.

Jim
Old 09-13-2017, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA with a 347 cu in engine
Not Ranked     

Best of luck getting a crew together for COTA. Wish I could help for that race. If only my job didn't get in the way of all the fun I could be having with cars.

Byron
Old 09-13-2017, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Jim, you cars temps look like 0012s before I changed out the restrictor (what were they thinking) for a 160 thermostat (we do have a bigger motor 363 from Ford Racing) it now runs 160 - 180 even when the temp is in the low 40s in the morning here.

Football season has started so I'm working every weekend now, other wise I would also crew in Texas.

Mark.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Byron,

Will let you know if I end up going to VIR. Right now COTA is not looking very promising. Have not had any takers on COTA and only have the finances for one more race this year. Would hate to miss the opportunity to race one more time this year. If I do not finalize something soon, I may have to go with VIR September 21-24.

Jim
Old 10-08-2017, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Last race of the year

Well, I competed in another vintage race weekend at Watkins Glen, this one with the Vintage Race Group (VRG). I approached VRG about racing with them at the Glen this year using the Superformance FIA race car. I had raced with them last year with my MGB. VRG was initially reluctant to allow the car to race as it was a replica, and very few vintage race groups allow replicas. I was granted special dispensation to race with the stipulation that the FIA was not officially approved to race with VRG on a regular basis. VRG is considering allowing the Superformance FIA to race and I should find out in the near future. In general the car was well received and was unofficially nominated as the best looking car at the race.

The weekend was a mix of rain and sun. The track was quite wet at times and there were several cars that were towed off the track. A BMW race club shared time on the track with us and there was a 6 car pile-up at the top of the esses that resulted in one driver being helicoptered to the hospital; later we learned that he was alright.

I did not have the go pro going for the first race, which was my best. Ran a 2:21 on the 3.5 mile course, my best time of the year, and came in sixth. After that, I started having transmission problems with shifting into 3rd gear, sometimes it was there and sometimes not. I eventually started to skip 3rd and would go from 2nd to fourth. Obviously, my times suffered. Will be trying to figure out what is wrong over the winter. Rick and Ross came out to help on Sunday, but we were not able to get it straightened out.

We will have pictures and possibly some video posted later. Overall, a nice beginning to the Superformance/Riverside Racers career. By the way, there was a Ferrari 308 GT at the race and I was able to race against it in my final race and the the Cobra-Ferrari war ended with the Cobra winning this time around.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 10-08-2017 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-09-2017, 04:26 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim's day ended with shifter issues that made getting gears "iffy" at best, not a good way to help your driving concentration.

We had a beautiful October day so the 289 Slabside was transport for Ross and myself. It had rained up to our starting time of 7AM so the roads were wet thus the dirt patina on the car however we had not drop one of rain fall on us and it turned into a an 82 degree, sunny day. I remember that this would have been "Grand Prix" weekend at the Glen and would have been my 50th GP were it still happening.

Jim has had no real mechanical issues with the car, the engine and chassis have been bulletproof so far......if only the shifter was!

I will add more pictures later, the site is so slow that it times out before a picture can upload.
Attached Images

Jim Kellogg and LMH like this.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:10 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

More from the Glen VRG event:
Attached Images

Jim Kellogg, LMH and Moto One like this.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:11 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

more photos
Attached Images

Jim Kellogg and LMH like this.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Race video with VRG at the Glen

Hee is some race video of the VRG race at the Glen. Was actually having a nice race and was with a group of cars that were running in the 2:16-2:19 range, which would have helped me make my goal of breaking the 2:20 mark. Those time put you in the low end of the fast group. Have to wait until next year though. In the second lap coming into the bus stop you may notice a slightly audible clunk noise and se a slight shift in the rear of the car going into the turn. If you missed that you will certainly see my right hand fly up in disgust and you may notice my helmet bobbing as I yell, "What the @@@@!" A 240Z had neglected to brake early enough and he hit me from behind. Luckily it turned out for me that there was no damage to my car. There were two dents in the front of his car where me made contact with the rear quick jacks. How the nose of his trunk did not make contact, I do not know. It might have fit just under the rear of the car.

He gave me a wave as he went past. I was a little frustrated at first, knowing that I had to pull in to the black flag station because at the driver's meeting the VRG Steward was explicit that if you go 4 wheels off, or are the recipient of or make contact with another car you need to come in immediately and talk to an official before going back out. They then have a discussion with you after the race as well. After my initial frustration with having to go in and lose a lap, you will notice that I drive a little faster and catch the group before having to come off.

When I got back on the track you will see the shifting problems start. It was with 3rd gear and sometimes it would engage and sometimes not. That will be this winters project. It was not grinding, just would not go in, while the other gears would. Any suggestions would be nice. Close ratio top loader with a Hurst competition plus shifter. i have the nylon bushings and will be upgrading to the steel bushings. My plan is to take the interior apart, remove the tunnel and the top core on the transmission and see what is happening when I try to shift.

video link:

https://youtu.be_SdmQE208ng

If the link does not work just search Youtube for VRG Watkins Glen 2017 and you will find the video. The link does not work on m computer and I noticed that when I click on the link Safari turns the capital letters to lowercase letters and that is probably the problem. I am going to look at the second half of the race and see if it is worth posting; a lot of missed shifts and having to go from 2nd to fourth that made for a frustrating time. I did not get a video of the race that I passed the Ferrari, I just had to do it, as the camera was not working.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 10-09-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: